Why is the Lori Loughlin-Felicity Huffman college admissions scandal so fun?
"I know that the people involved in this debacle are real people, with real emotions, caught up in a mortifying scandal that has also humiliated their children," says Willa Paskin of the Fuller House star and the Desperate Housewives alum indictment for college admissions fraud. "But have you scoped the details on this thing??? The FBI called this Operation Varsity Blues because they, too, are apparently ’90s nostalgists. The scheme involved, at some point, photoshopping the prospective students’ heads onto the bodies of other student athletes. Huffman used the phrase 'ruh roh' in this context: 'Ruh Ro! Looks like (my daughter’s high school) wants to provide own proctor.' At least one of the admitted students is already a paid Instagram influencer. This is a genuine scandal—a big, messy to-do and a disgrace—but it also, thankfully, euphorically, does not involve the grifts of our commander in chief, nuclear realpolitik, or our dying planet. It is powerfully representative of so much of our national dysfunction, but will not immediately result in the death of democracy or any other human beings. In contemporary America, I believe this is what passes for a lark."
- UPDATE: Felicity Huffman to be released on $250,000 bail: She didn't have to enter a plea, but she does have to surrender her passport
- Lori Loughlin reportedly hasn't been arrested yet, is seeking "safe passage" to Los Angeles
- FBI agents with guns drawn reportedly arrested Felicity Huffman at her home at 6 a.m.
- Legal experts weigh in on why William H. Macy wasn't indicted
- Watch video of Macy arriving in court this afternoon
- "Aunt Becky's" indictment inspires a bunch of Full House memes
- Loughlin's Aunt Becky once chastised John Stamos' Uncle Jesse over a Full House preschool scam
- Loughlin deletes her social media accounts following indictment
- Olivia Jade Giannulli, one of Loughlin's "influencer" daughters, has 1.9 million YouTube subscribers and 1.3 million Instagram followers
- Lori Loughlin cheating scandal and When Calls the Heart firing reveals that scripted cable is alive and well
- When Calls the Heart stars speak out on being in a "tough spot" following Lori Loughlin's college cheating scandal
- When Call the Heart will undergo "retooling" following Lori Loughlin's firing
- Lori Loughlin won't return for Fuller House's final season in wake of her college cheating scandal indictment