Posted Thursday 1/11/18 at 8:13PM EST
HBO boss: Game of Thrones won’t return until 2019 because “these things take time,” and showrunners are “perfectionists”
Source: Entertainment Weekly
“Here’s what I’ll tell you: They take the time they need to do the show at its highest level of quality,” HBO programming chief Casey Bloys tells EW. “As the show has gone on, it’s gotten bigger — big battle scenes, big special effects. These things take time. Here’s the one thing I can assure you: Dan and Dave were not sitting around on a beach waiting to go back to work. They’re perfectionists and this is the soonest it can come back at a level of quality that they are comfortable with.”
- Game of Thrones prequels won’t premiere until at least 2020
- Bloys says David Benioff and D.B. Weiss won’t proceed with Confederate for a year to a year and a half
- HBO hopes to start filming the long-awaited Deadwood movie in fall 2018
- Big Little Lies and True Detective are expected to return in 2019
Ellen DeGeneres pays tribute to her father, who died this week at age 92
In addition to dealing with the mudslides in her Montecito neighborhood this week, Ellen has been mourning the loss of her father, Elliott Everett DeGeneres. Ellen noted on her talk show that when she was young, her dad took her on a trip to Los Angeles, where they got to tour the Warner Bros. studio lot in Burbank that her talk show now calls home. Ellen said that 10 minutes after she last spoke to her dad, he died and when she walked outside there was a rainbow over her studio.
HBO is reportedly taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to the James Franco allegations
HBO executives woudn’t comment today beyond David Simon’s statement about having no issues with The Deuce star, according to Variety. “Sources said executives are closely watching the response to the (Los Angeles) Times’ report,” says Variety. “Franco’s future on the show likely hinges on whether more victims come forward with allegations of work-related misconduct.” ALSO: Franco won a Critics' Choice Award Thursday night, but didn't show up to the ceremony.
Patricia Hearst blasts CNN and Jeffrey Toobin for their docuseries The Radical Story of Patty Hearst
Hearst released a lengthy statement today accusing Jeffrey Toobin of writing an unauthorized book, American Heiress, that “romanticizes my rape and torture and calls my abduction a ‘rollicking adventure.’” Hearst’s statement prompted 20th Century Fox to cancel a movie project based on the book. But Toobin also serves as executive producer of The Radical Story of Patty Hearst, premiering Feb. 11 on CNN. “This six-part documentary series includes unprecedented access to Patty's lovers, comrades and confidants,” according to a description on CNN’s website. “The series explores who Patty Hearst really is: victim or villain?” Citing the #MeToo movement, Hearst wrote that she is “saddened and appalled that Fox 2000 agreed to finance and produce a movie based on Toobin’s book (with a similarly themed screenplay, also written by men) and that CNN has agreed to continue to perpetuate a one-sided dialogue romanticizing my torture and rape by hosting a podcast and docuseries through Toobin’s distorted lens. I refuse to give Jeffrey Toobin, 21st Century Fox, CNN or anyone else involved in these projects about my life the power to make me a victim again, or the power to provide a platform where victim blaming is ok.”
Jessica Chastain and Will Ferrell will host SNL later this month
Chastain will make her Saturday Night Live hosting debut on Jan. 20, joined by musical guest Troye Sivan. Ferrell returns to Studio 8H on Jan. 27 to host for the fourth time since his 2002 departure as a cast member, with musical guest Chris Stapleton. Ferrell previously hosted SNL in 2005, 2009 and 2012.
Seth Meyers responds to President Trump’s “sh*thole countries” remark by walking off his Late Night set
Source: The Daily Beast
“This brings us to a new segment titled, ‘Seth Has to Walk Away for a Minute,’” Meyers said on Thursday’s Late Night, responding to Trump’s reportedly asking, “Why are we having all these people from sh*thole countries come here?” in reference to immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries.
Bryan Fuller boards Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles TV series
Source: Entertainment Weekly
After leaving American Gods, Fuller will help bring Rice’s best-selling The Vampire Chronicles to television. “It’s our great pleasure to officially announce that Bryan has become a member of the creative family working to bring the story of the vampire Lestat to television,” read a Facebook post featuring Anne Rice, her son and author Christopher Rice and Fuller. Paramount Television earlier had said that Fuller was helping write the pilot and that the goal was to have him serve as showrunner.
Shameless star Ethan Cutkosky pleads no contest to reckless driving after DUI arrest
Source: New York Daily News
The 18-year-old actor was reportedly arrested in a car smelling of marijuana. But his no contest plea for “dry reckless driving” will exclude any allegations of alcohol or drug use. He was sentenced to a $250 fine and two years of informal probation.
- HBO boss: Game of Thrones won’t return until 2019 because “these things take time,” and showrunners are “perfectionists”