Aidy BryantLatest News and Opinion
Posted Wednesday 9/05/18 at 3:54PM EDT
SNL alum Julia Sweeney is reuniting with Lorne Michaels to play SNL star Aidy Bryant's mom on Hulu's Shrill
Sweeney will co-star on the six-episode Michaels-produced comedy based on Lindy West's memoir as the mother of Annie, Bryant's character.
Posted Wednesday 8/01/18 at 4:00PM EDT
Hulu picks up Aidy Bryant comedy Shrill
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The streaming service has ordered six episodes of the comedy based on blogger Lindy West's memoir Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman, playing "a fat young woman who wants to change her life — but not her body." Bryant's SNL boss, Lorne Michaels, will serve as executive producer along with Elizabeth Banks. Shrill won't impact Bryant's work on Saturday Night Live.
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America with Sarah Silverman, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Monday 5/21/18 at 5:31AM EDT
Meghan McCain wonders if she's the first former Lorne Michaels intern to be parodied on SNL
Source: The Arizona Republic
The View co-host tweeted on Sunday in reaction to SNL's "Morning Joe" sketch in which she was played by Aidy Bryant: "Can’t believe I got parodied on SNL last night - is this the first time this has happened to a former Lorne Michaels intern?! Also fun fact, @aidybryant and I went to the same high school in Phoenix." ALSO: Did SNL whack Alec Baldwin's Trump with Sopranos cold open?
Posted Sunday 5/20/18 at 4:34AM EDT
SNL ends the season with a Sopranos finale homage and numerous celebrity cameos
Source: Entertainment Weekly
Saturday Night Live's Season 43 finale was even more star-studded than the Stormy Daniels episode two weeks ago. It began with a cold open homage to The Sopranos' 2007 series finale, featuring Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro reprising their roles as Michael Cohen and Robert Mueller. Then, in a monologue that addressed criticism that the show has become too dependent on celebrity cameos, Tina Fey interacted with Benedict Cumberbatch, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Fred Armisen, Anne Hathaway, Tracy Morgan and recent host Donald Glover, whom Fey hired to write for 30 Rock. Lin-Manuel Miranda and John Goodman also made cameos. So did Fey's husband Jeff Richmond, who appeared in a "Mean Girls" sketch, and who has worked with his wife as a composer on 30 Rock, SNL and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
- Watch Tina Fey give a 360-degree YouTube tour of the SNL studio
- SNL spoofs Dick Wolf's NBC Chicago shows with "Chicago Improv" sketch
- Fey revived her Sarah Palin impression late in the show
- Watch Nicki Minaj perform with Fey in "Friendship Song" sketch that was cut for time
- Aidy Bryant portrayed the Oakland BBQ woman, who has become an internet meme
Posted Sunday 5/13/18 at 2:39PM EDT
SNL moms critique the show's abundance of Trump jokes in Mother's Day-themed cold open
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
"Normally we open this show with a political sketch, which can sometimes be divisive. But since tomorrow is Mother's Day, we're going to focus on something we can all agree on: mothers," Aidy Bryant said in opening Saturday's show. ALSO: Melissa McCarthy made a cameo as Michael Che's stepmom.
Posted Thursday 5/10/18 at 4:30PM EDT
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt sets final season guest-stars, including the return of Jon Hamm and Amy Sedaris
Source: TV Guide
Greg Kinnear, Busy Philipps, Aidy Bryant and Bobby Moynihan will also appear on Season 4 of the Netflix series.
Posted Monday 4/30/18 at 2:02PM EDT
Aidy Bryant marries former SNL writer Conner O'Malley
Source: Us Weekly
The Saturday Night Live star posted a pic of her wedding to Instagram.
Posted Thursday 4/26/18 at 5:09PM EDT
Are SNL's Colin Jost and Michael Che the right choice to host the first Emmys of the #MeToo era?
Source: Vanity Fair
This morning's announcement raises a question, says Laura Bradley: "Are Che and Jost really the right fit for this moment?" She adds: "As women fight to end exploitation and promote equal opportunities in the entertainment industry, choosing a woman from the SNL family would have sent a strong message—especially for an awards show that likes to praise the TV industry for supposedly being more progressive than the film world. (Kate) McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Cecily Strong, or Aidy Bryant would have made excellent Emmys hosts, either together or separately. (This also might have been NBC’s last chance to tap one of them, as all four seem likely to make their exits from SNL before the network hosts the Emmys again in four years.) Even beyond the halls of Studio 8H, there are plenty more talented women with TV shows on the current NBC roster, including Debra Messing, Megan Mullally, Kristen Bell, America Ferrera, and Retta. (Bell even has one hosting gig under her belt already this year; she hosted the SAG Awards in January.) Were none of these women available?" ALSO: To have the first Emmys of the #MeToo era "hosted by two bros with a history of making highly questionable jokes is not good for progress."
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, Saturday Night Live, Aidy Bryant, America Ferrera, Cecily Strong, Colin Jost, Debra Messing, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Bell, Leslie Jones, Megan Mullally, Michael Che, Retta, Sexual Misconduct, Time's Up
Posted Tuesday 4/24/18 at 1:12PM EDT
SNL's Aidy Bryant is teaming with Lorne Michaels to star in Hulu comedy series Shrill
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Bryant is set to star in an adaptation of author, comedian and former Jezebel blogger Lindy West's collection of essays Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman, with Michaels and Elizabeth Banks on board as executive producers. Bryant will co-write the potential Hulu series that will follow the story of a "a fat young woman who wants to change her life, but not her body." Bryant is the latest SNL cast member to star in a Lorne Michaels-produced project outside the show. No word yet if Shrill will impact Bryant's role on Saturday Night Live.
Posted Wednesday 12/13/17 at 4:40PM EST
SNL films a selfie-themed promo with Kevin Hart
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Watch him attempt to take selfies with Aidy Bryant.
Posted Wednesday 11/08/17 at 2:45PM EST
Tiffany Haddish pushes the mysterious button in her first SNL promo
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Watch the Girls Trip star defy Aidy Bryant's warning not to push the button.
Posted Tuesday 11/07/17 at 3:26PM EST
SNL’s Aidy Bryant is working on launching a fashion line for plus-sized women
Source: The Cut
Bryant is working with SNL and 30 Rock stylist Remy Pearce on a potential new fashion line. “I’m just trying to get the things that I have access to out there for the masses — like when I wanted something cool to wear to a meeting or an audition or whatever and not just be wearing a black sack,” she says, adding: “I feel like there’s almost two zones of plus-sized clothing. It’s either full sweatpants and huge T-shirts and elastic waist jeans, or it’s hypertrendy with a shoulder, a bow, a button, a print, a zipper.” Bryant also says, “I didn’t try to get on SNL to be a body-positivity activist, but apparently just being there makes you one. It’s this weird kind of thing where you’re like, I guess I kind of am. It’s literally just not what I came here to do.”