An Emmy for MeganLatest News and Opinion
Posted Saturday 12/15/18 at 12:22AM EST
An Emmy for Megan's Megan Amram isn't happy with an Emmy rule change apparently made in response to her nominations
The Television Academy announced it has adopted a “new vetting procedure to identify Emmy-competitive entries in the Short Form categories on nomination-round ballots. Panelists, randomly selected from a member pool, will evaluate these entries.” Amram, who earned two nominations for her Emmy-seeking web series, tweeted: "Do not let this headline get buried in the current news cycle: the Emmy Academy just CHANGED THE RULES that they now have to VET POTENTIAL NOMINEES IN THE SHORT-FORM CATEGORIES."
Posted Sunday 9/09/18 at 12:19PM EDT
Emmys make history with black actors sweeping all guest categories
The Creative Arts Emmy Awards had a historic night on Saturday with black actors winning all guest acting categories in comedy and drama. Tiffany Haddish won the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for hosting Saturday Night Live, while Katt Williams won Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for his appearance on Atlanta. Ron Cephas Jones won Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for This Is Us after being nominated for the second year in a row, while Samira Wiley won Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series for The Handmaid's Tale. The sweep seemed all the more likely when a whopping 11 black actors were nominated in the guest acting categories.
- Megan Amram fails to win an Emmy for An Emmy for Megan, vows that Season 2 will be about "revenge"
- Rick and Morty wins its first Emmy, for Outstanding Animated Program
- Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker says "never say never" to a "USS Callister" spinoff TV series after it won the Emmy for Outstanding Made for Television Movie
- Game of Thrones won seven awards at Creative Arts Emmys
- James Corden picked up two Emmys, including one for "Outstanding Actor" for his portrayal of James Corden in James Corden's Next James Corden
- Read the complete list of Creative Arts Emmy winners
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, An Emmy for Megan, Black Mirror, Game of Thrones, James Corden’s Next James Corden, Rick and Morty, James Corden, Katt Williams, Megan Amram, Ron Cephas Jones, Samira Wiley, Tiffany Haddish, African Americans and TV, Diversity, Emmys
Posted Tuesday 8/28/18 at 1:48PM EDT
IFC to counterprogram the Emmys with An Emmy for Megan marathon
Emmy-nominated The Good Place writer Megan Amram's Emmy-nominated web series will make its TV debut on IFC on Sept. 17. The cable channel plans to broadcast all 28 minutes and 7 seconds of An Emmy for Megan.
Posted Friday 7/13/18 at 2:51AM EDT
An Emmy for Megan's Megan Amram wasn't surprised by her two Emmy nominations
"I truly — going into this morning, if I had to bet, I would've put money on myself," said The Good Place writer, who was nominated twice for her Emmy-seeking web series, as an actress and executive producer. She even tweeted on Wednesday night, "I go to bed tonight my last night ever as a non-Emmy nominee. I absolutely cannot wait to celebrate my
#AnEmmyForMegan noms tomorrow. See you all soon." How will she campaign to win an Emmy? "I have a lot of really fun, really expensive marketing tools cooking," she said. "Definitely looking into a billboard in a more trafficked area. Mine was in Hollywood, and it was great, but I'm thinking more Times Square or something like that. I also am considering a pop-up shop where maybe I can sell off-brand Emmy trophies so you can all have 'an Emmy for Megan' too. I am looking into skywriters. I am just gonna be calling in a lot more favors from celebrities. Julianne Moore already has filmed a little video in support. I'm thinking maybe the cast of Game of Thrones can start marketing for me rather than their show."
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America with Sarah Silverman, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Wednesday 6/06/18 at 6:44PM EDT
An Emmy for Megan's Megan Amram gets a Hollywood Blvd Emmy For Your Consideration billboard
"I'd like an Emmy for my web series," The Good Place writer is quoted as saying on her billboard promoting her Emmy-focused web series.
Posted Wednesday 5/02/18 at 10:57PM EDT
An Emmy For Megan star Megan Amram: "I think me winning this Emmy would make up for Steve Carell and The Wire being snubbed"
"My desire is overwhelmingly sincere," The Good Place writer says of her blatantly Emmy-seeking web series. "As sincere as anything I’ve ever set out to do. It’s less about the category and more about the award. I would really love an Emmy award. A lot of my friends have them, and they seem great. The awards, not my friends. I think my friends from home would think it was really cool if I won. I don’t have any major awards and I think me winning this Emmy would make up for Steve Carell and The Wire being snubbed." ALSO: Amram says of her Emmy campaign: "I am willing to sink every penny of my savings into this."
Posted Friday 4/27/18 at 9:17PM EDT
A Good Place writer's new web series, An Emmy for Megan, has one goal: To win an Emmy
Comedy writer Megan Amram has made a six-episode web series that meets all of the minimum requirements to win an Emmy for Outstanding Actress in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series. Her boss, The Good Place creator Michael Schur, tweeted of An Emmy for Megan: "On a daily basis, I am overwhelmed and astonished by the creative abilities of #TheGoodPlace writers."