Anthony Bourdain: Parts UnknownLatest News and Opinion
Posted Tuesday 12/04/18 at 5:50PM EST
Anthony Bourdain recalled by those who knew him best
GQ spoke to everybody from Bourdain's brother, Chris Bourdain, to CNN's Jake Tapper to producers and numerous celebrity chefs to get a sense of Bourdain's "enormous life." As Chris Bourdain put it, "the death certificate that was printed in France listed as his profession 'chef.' And I tried for months to figure out, what is the appropriate way to describe what Tony has been doing for the last seven or eight years? There's no description for it."
Posted Wednesday 10/03/18 at 9:05PM EDT
An Anthony Bourdain college course to be offered next semester
Professor Todd Kennedy's class next semester at Nicholls State University will examine Bourdain's writings, TV shows and the films that influenced him. “What he did is so unique,” says Kennedy. “We talk about connections between literature and film and art and politics and history, but we’re always trained to talk about them separately. He goes all in and puts all those things, along with food, in conversation to try to understand the culture he’s looking at. And that speaks to people.” The university will also make an accelerated version of the course available online.
Posted Monday 9/24/18 at 10:05AM EDT
Why Anthony Bourdain's final completed Parts Unknown episode was so special and heartbreaking
Bourdain traveled to Kenya with CNN colleague W. Kamau Bell, host of United Shades of America, for what would become the final completed episode of Parts Unknown before his death in June. (Several other episodes were shot, but Bourdain hAd not yet recorded narration for them.) "Anthony Bourdain’s final completed episode of television feels very much like any other hour-long program he’s made in the last 17 years," says Matt Miller. "He travels to Kenya, where he brings his thoughtful worldview, his fearless questions, and his genuine interest in listening to the smallest and most important stories. There’s no mention that its host died nearly four months ago. There’s no 'in loving memory' dedication to the late icon. It’s just an episode of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown. It’s as provocative, considerate, and curious as anything else he produced in his lifetime. And that’s precisely what makes it so special and heartbreaking." ALSO: Asia Argento gives her first TV interview since Bourdain's death, calling his loss a "hole that can't be filled."
Posted Monday 9/17/18 at 7:37AM EDT
CNN's first clip of Anthony Bourdain's final Parts Unknown season may make you cry
Bourdain and fellow CNN host W. Kamau Bell travel to Kenya in the first of seven final Parts Unknown episodes that were filmed before Bourdain's death in June.
Posted Sunday 9/09/18 at 8:02PM EDT
Anthony Bourdain wins a posthumous Emmy for Parts Unknown
Bourdain's CNN series took home two Emmys at the Creative Arts Awards, including Outstanding Writing for a Nonfiction Program and Outstanding Picture Editing For A Nonfiction Program. UPDATE: Parts Unknown took home six total Emmys.
- Apple takes home its very first Emmy, for Carpool Karaoke
- Netflix's Queer Eye reboot wins its first Emmy for structured reality series
- Wild Wild Country wins for documentary/non-fiction series
- The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling wins for documentary/non-fiction special
- John Oliver's Last Week Tonight wins best writing for a variety series for the third year in a row
- W. Kamau Bell's United Shades of America wins best unstructured reality program
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, Apple, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, Last Week Tonight, Queer Eye, United Shades of America, Wild Wild Country, The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling, John Oliver, W. Kamau Bell, Emmys
Posted Tuesday 9/04/18 at 9:45AM EDT
CNN pulls three episodes of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown that featured Asia Argento
Source: BuzzFeed News
Bourdain and Argento first met when he filmed his CNN show in Rome. Argento also directed the Hong Kong episode that aired days before her boyfriend's death. A CNN spokesperson says the three episodes featuring Argento were pulled following the allegation that she slept with an underage actor.
Posted Wednesday 8/01/18 at 1:35PM EDT
Anthony Bourdain's five final Parts Unknown episodes will air this fall
Source: Los Angeles Times
CNN says only one of the episodes, filmed in Kenya, was completed before Bourdain died. It will be the last to feature his narration. The four others will be set in Manhattan's Lower East Side, the Big Bend area of Texas along the Mexico border, the Asturias region of Spain and Indonesia, and will be completed by the directors of each episode. Producers are also filming follow-up interviews to tie the episodes together.
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America with Sarah Silverman, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Saturday 7/07/18 at 10:36AM EDT
Anthony Bourdain was wealthier than the $1.2 million that his estate is worth
The news that the late CNN host's will stated that his estate was worth only $1.2 million was a head-scratcher, particularly since previous estimates pegged his fortune to be $16 million. But as TMZ explains, it appears Bourdain "created a trust outside the will which contained an undisclosed amount of assets. It's very common for rich folk to create trusts outside of their will ... partly for tax purposes and partly for privacy."
Posted Thursday 7/05/18 at 8:54PM EDT
Anthony Bourdain's will left the bulk of his $1.21 million estate to his 11-year-old daughter
Source: New York Daily News
Court documents revealed details of the late Parts Unknown star's estate.
Posted Monday 6/25/18 at 1:35PM EDT
Anthony Bourdain performed Bhutan Death Ritual for final Parts Unknown episode
“It seems ironic now that on our last day of shooting we performed a Bhutanese death ritual,” writes director Darren Aronofsky, who accompanied Bourdain for Sunday's Season 11 finale. “We debated the fate of the country, the fate of the world. He was perplexed as to how mankind’s endless hunger to consume could be curtailed. ‘Don’t we all want flat screen TV’s?’ he asked.”
Posted Wednesday 6/20/18 at 1:32PM EDT
New Jersey lawmaker proposes an "Anthony Bourdain Food Trail"
Source: The Takeout
New Jersey assemblyman Paul Moriarity wants to create a 10-restaurant trail to honor Bourdain, who grew up in Leonia, New Jersey. The trail would connect 10 New Jersey restaurants that Bourdain visited on a 2015 episode of Parts Unknown.
Posted Friday 6/15/18 at 10:55PM EDT
Anthony Bourdain conspiracy theories surface on YouTube
Buzzfeed News reports that conspiracy theories about Bourdain's death were among the top search results on YouTube -- until it was brought to the company's attention on Friday. "The videos push some version of the same theory: Bourdain was an outspoken supporter of Asia Argento, the actress whom he had been dating and one of the women who publicly accused Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault," reports Buzzfeed's Davey Alba. "Since Hillary Clinton had received campaign donations from Weinstein (who was a generous supporter of the Democratic Party), the conspiracy theorists said the Clintons and Weinstein could have orchestrated Bourdain's death. The conspiracy is then tied tenuously to a sex trafficking sting that was apparently conducted in the Atlanta area, where CNN, the cable channel that hosts Bourdain's Parts Unknown TV program, is headquartered."
Posted Wednesday 6/13/18 at 1:59PM EDT
Anthony Bourdain's remains have been cremated in France
People magazine reports that the remains of the late Parts Unknown host will be flown back to the United States on Friday. Meanwhile, CNN said it will air the final two episodes of this season's Parts Unknown as scheduled on the next two Sundays. ALSO: Michael K. Williams recalled his No Reservations experience with Bourdain on The Late Show.
Posted Tuesday 6/12/18 at 6:33PM EDT
Netflix extends its deal to carry Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown episodes in wake of Bourdain's death
"Some fans have noticed that Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown was scheduled to come off Netflix US on June 16," Netflix tweeted. "As of today, we’ve extended our agreement that will keep Parts Unknown on the service for months to come."