Charlie BrookerLatest News and Opinion
Posted Monday 11/05/18 at 9:44PM EST
Black Mirror won't be doing sequels to the "White Bear" and "San Junipero" episodes
Creator Charlie Brooker shut down a report he is doing sequels to both popular episodes in a tweet that he later deleted.
Posted Friday 11/02/18 at 10:48PM EDT
Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker says "streaming bloat" can be a problem
Source: Digital Spy
"Sometimes, restrictions are very helpful," Brooker said while promoting his new book Inside Black Mirror. "For instance, there's a trick that I've retaught myself...When I was writing for (broadcast) television, there were commercial breaks. Now, commercial breaks are a pain in the arse – in the edit, and in terms of the experience for the viewer – but they're handy as waypoints."
Posted Friday 10/26/18 at 5:20AM EDT
Charlie Brooker's new Inside Black Mirror book reveals why the show jumped from Britain's Channel 4 to Netflix
Source: Radio Times
After two seasons, Channel 4 became concerned about the costs and the storylines, the Black Mirror creator writes in his book coming out on Nov. 20. At the same time, the original episodes took off on Netflix, prompting Booker and fellow showrunner Annabel Jones' deal to produce new episodes for the streaming service.
Posted Tuesday 7/10/18 at 11:58PM EDT
Black Mirror books have been delayed
A three-book collection curated by Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker that would feature all-new stories has run into trouble. "Unfortunately that turned out to be way more complex than we anticipated and we wanted something out this year (authors not at fault, btw)," tweeted Brooker.
Posted Tuesday 1/02/18 at 10:49PM EST
Black Mirror’s “USS Callister” episode was its darkest story in its bleak history
The Star Trek-esque episode is entirely thrilling as it “acts as a study of public personas and private realities,” says Kayla Cobb. “There are very few shows or even episodes that can stand as works of art worthy of being critically dissected as well as fun adventure epics,” she adds. “Director Toby Haynes‘ episode, which equally nods to Star Trek while proudly standing as the antithesis of the iconic series, is one of those rare things. ‘USS Callister’ should make us all question what we’re really looking for in our virtual escapes and, more importantly, why they may or may not be fit for our public image.”
- “USS Callister” was much more than a Star Trek parody, offering a new angle on tech horror through sci-fi satire
- What are the chances of a “USS Callister’ spinoff?
- Netflix freaks out Turkish viewers with creepy Black Mirror marketing stunt
- Black Mirror under fire for conflating “emergency contraception” with the abortion pill
- For a TV show about the future, Black Mirror has barely moved forward while echoing past episodes
- “USS Callister” served as an indictment of Silicon Valley leadership
- Those “USS Callister” celebrity cameos, explained
- Karl Pilkington might have predicted two storylines from this season of Black Mirror
- Black Mirror’s bleak landscapes are as terrifying as its stories
- Ranking every Black Mirror episode, from worst to best
- Some Black Mirror fans are just now realizing why it’s called “Black Mirror”
- Black Mirror trolled Reddit users with a “mindf*ck” of an Easter Egg
- Jodie Foster and Rosemarie DeWitt discuss the “Arkangel” episode
- How every Season 4 episode is connected to one timeline
- Season 4’s problem is that it’s “aggressively (even obsessively) Cartesian”
- Ranking the “sh*ttiest” characters on Season 4
Posted Friday 12/22/17 at 11:25PM EST
Black Mirror somehow exceeds its high expectations in Season 4
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The fourth season proves that Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker is one of TV’s most creative writers, says Tim Goodman. “Wow,” he says, “Brooker really does know more than anyone else dabbling in this kind of tech/future morality play how to precisely mine ever-escalating scenarios, ratcheting up the ethical trade-offs and moral quandaries facing the players. Season four of Black Mirror, dropping all six of its episodes on Dec. 29, absolutely continues the brilliance so evident in the previous three (all-too-short) seasons. No fan of TV, particularly fans of Black Mirror, wants any kind of spoiler, so going into too much detail on plotting is a disservice to those who rightfully want to be surprised by how Brooker explores all emotional and ethical layers of the issues presented.”
Posted Thursday 12/14/17 at 10:03PM EST
In China, life is imitating a Black Mirror episode
A new Chinese “super app” rates people’s worth on a scale of 350 to 950, which is like the Season 3 premiere episode of Black Mirror episode "Nosedive."
Posted Tuesday 11/28/17 at 2:12PM EST
Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker is too busy to do his annual comedic BBC TV review of the year 2017
Source: Radio Times
For much of the past decade, Brooker has ended the year by presenting a “Wipe” of the previous 12 months. (Here’s the 2016 Wipe, here’s the 2010 Wipe.) But Brooker tweeted on Monday that there won't be a 2017 Wipe due to his heavy workload: “Got some good news and bad news. Bad news is no 2017 Wipe. Was set to do it but ran out of road. Am way behind on scripts / dev elsewhere and contrary to my optimistic delusions it turns out I can’t do 400 things at once.”