Cynthia NixonLatest News and Opinion
Posted Thursday 9/13/18 at 11:07PM EDT
Cynthia Nixon loses Democratic primary for governor
Source: E! Online
After six months of campaigning, the former Sex and the City star failed to unseat sitting New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
Posted Tuesday 7/17/18 at 9:09PM EDT
Cynthia Nixon received donations from Sex and the City's "Mr. Big," Lena Dunham and Alec Baldwin
Source: New York Daily News
Chris Noth donated $2,500 to his former co-star's gubernatorial campaign, while Baldwin gave $16,000. Also donating money were Lena Dunham, who gave $10,000, and Debra Messing, who gave $500. Nixon's HBO co-stars Sarah Jessica Parker and Kristin Davis previously donated $5,000 and $2,000, respectively.
Posted Friday 6/08/18 at 11:16PM EDT
Why Sex and the City would probably revolve around Miranda if it premiered today
Source: The Washington Post
Jennifer Keishin Armstrong, author of the new book Sex and the City and Us: How Four Single Women Changed the Way We Think, Live, and Love, says: "I read someone saying that if you made Sex and the City now, Miranda would be the main character, because we’ve evolved in our thinking about women on television enough that that’s what we all aspire to. Nobody wants to be Carrie anymore; everyone recognizes that Carrie has some major character flaws."
Posted Wednesday 6/06/18 at 6:44PM EDT
Sex and the City would not be Sex and the City if it premiered today, says creator Darren Star
In honor of Sex and the City launching 20 years ago today, on June 6, 1998, Star was asked how he'd redo the show if it premiered in 2018. "There would probably be a gay character and it would probably be more diverse, but at the same time, this is what that show was about," he says. "It was about those four women, and I think Sex and the City can only be conceived in the context of the time that it was done, and any show that is done now would not be Sex and the City; it would be something else because it’s 20 years later. I think its an apples and oranges type of question. Sex and the City would obviously be a completely different show today, in terms of how it would be conceived from the very beginning. You might even have a gender-fluid character on the show. From the ground up, we would just be thinking of it differently 20 years later."
- Sarah Jessica Parker reflects on iconic Carrie Bradshaw: "It's deeply surprising to experience a new generation of viewers"
- Cynthia Nixon pens an essay on Miranda: "While I admired Miranda, I didn't exactly identify with her — at least not at first"
- In praise of the steadfast independence of Kim Cattrall's Samantha Jones
- Kristin Davis marks the anniversary by posting an emotional pic of one of the last days on set
- Sex and the City didn't care about respectability politics for women -- it allowed its characters to be complex and imperfect
- Who would be cast on a 2018 reboot of Sex and the City?
- Here are all the worst ways men covered Sex and the City, with disdain
- Read an oral history of late 1990s New York City, Candace Bushnell and the birth of Sex and the City
- Here's a rundown of every non-white Sex and the City character with a speaking role
- Desus and Mero's Desus Nice became a Sex and the City superfan because its New York was different from his New York
- 15 female writers share their most memorable SATC moments
- John McCain was a stealth Sex and the City superfan
- Meet the women who molded Sex and the City's first season
- Confessions of a wannabe recovering Carrie Bradshaw
- Sex and the City and Us author Jennifer Keishin Armstrong says "no one wanted to be a Miranda -- she's the boring successful woman"
- How Sex and the City still influences New York City food trends
- Matthew McConaughey ended up appearing on SATC because Warren Beatty turned the role down
- 13 things you probably didn't know about SATC
- Seven trends Carrie made famous
- SATC designer Patricia Field is still popular in New York City
- How did SATC portray the LGBTQ community?
- Sex and the City's Manhattan is long gone, but did it ever exist?
- The SATC bus tour is like traveling through time
- Ranking all 39 Sex and the City boyfriends -- Steve was the hottest one
- Ranking Carrie Bradshaw's boyfriends
- Why Sex and the City still resonates, despite looking dated
- Check out Sex and the City cast at their 1998 premiere event
Posted Tuesday 6/05/18 at 10:48PM EDT
Cynthia Nixon releases Sex and the City-themed election merchandise on the day before the 20th anniversary
The limited-run merchandise contains the words: "I'm a Miranda and I'm voting for Cynthia"
Posted Thursday 5/24/18 at 4:10AM EDT
Cynthia Nixon says she'll continue running for New York governor despite failing to nab a spot on the primary ballot
Source: Us Weekly
“I’m not a protest candidate,” Nixon told the New York Daily News. “I’m a viable candidate who is really running hard for the Democratic nomination, and that’s why I’m here, to say this is my party, too, I’m not afraid and I’m here. You can’t shut me out.”
Posted Wednesday 5/23/18 at 7:10PM EDT
Cynthia Nixon is dealt a defeat in her campaign for New York governor
Source: The New York Times
Incumbent Gov. Andrew Cuomo won more than 95% of the delegate votes at New York State’s Democratic Convention today, securing his party's official nomination for reelection, but the Sex and the City star plans to collect petitions in order to appear on the ballot against Cuomo in New York's Sept. 13 primary.
Posted Monday 5/21/18 at 6:27PM EDT
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo agrees to a televised debate with Cynthia Nixon
Source: WIVB-TV Buffalo
"We look forward to a robust debate," said the New York governor's office. "We are currently receiving invitations and reviewing the various opportunities."
Posted Friday 4/27/18 at 9:17PM EDT
Sarah Jessica Parker: I kept Cynthia Nixon's gubernatorial candidacy secret for a month
Source: Entertainment Weekly
Parker waited to endorse her Sex and the City co-star, fueling rumors that she skeptical of Nixon's candidacy for New York governor. But Parker said Friday that she knew of her candidacy in advance: "She shared with me that she was going to announce about a month before. I was incredibly excited and proud of her. I think she’s already been good for the conversation."
Posted Friday 4/20/18 at 1:48PM EDT
Sarah Jessica Parker explains why Sex and the City co-star Cynthia Nixon should be elected New York governor
Source: Vanity Fair
Parker has already said she's supporting Nixon. But she went into detail on why Nixon is qualified at the Tribeca Film Festival. "She’s been an activist her whole life,” Parker told Vanity Fair, adding: “There is policy that matters to her. She’s concerned about where our dollars and how are dollars are being spent. And like many formidable women, she decided now was the time to talk about those things,” explained Parker. “It’s exciting. I think it’s good for our city to have those conversations. It’s always good to have a challenger. As we know, great candidates deserve great challengers.”
Posted Tuesday 4/03/18 at 11:20PM EDT
Cynthia Nixon tells Wendy Williams that her opponent for New York governor was also once a celebrity
“It is tough,” Nixon said on Wednesday's Wendy Williams Show, which was pre-taped, when asked about the questions regarding her celebrity status. “People talk a lot to me about being a celebrity entering this race. I have to say, when Andrew Cuomo ran eight years ago, he was a celebrity because he was the son of Mario Cuomo.”
Posted Monday 4/02/18 at 9:51AM EDT
Cynthia Nixon to give her first national TV interview as a candidate to Wendy Williams
The former Sex and the City star will discuss her campaign for New York governor on Wednesday's The Wendy Williams Show.
Posted Thursday 3/29/18 at 2:13PM EDT
Sarah Jessica Parker endorses Cynthia Nixon after speculation that she wouldn't
"My sister on and off screen, you have my love, support and vote," Parker wrote on Instagram this morning. Her comments come half a day after she appeared to be hedging on endorsing her Sex and the City co-star, telling Page Six, “Cynthia has been my friend and colleague since we were little girls. I look forward to talking to her about her New York state gubernatorial bid.”
Posted Wednesday 3/28/18 at 9:54PM EDT
Why hasn't Sarah Jessica Parker endorsed Cynthia Nixon?
Source: Page Six
Page Six reports Parker has been "undecided" about her Sex and the City co-star's run for New York governor. “Cynthia has been my friend and colleague since we were little girls," Parker said through her spokesperson. "I look forward to talking to her about her New York state gubernatorial bid.” According to Page Six, HBO worries that a schism with Nixon could destroy any possibility of a future Sex and the City sequel. "They could maybe do it without (Kim) Cattrall, but they can’t do without Nixon, too," a source tells Page Six.
Posted Friday 3/23/18 at 9:54PM EDT
Cynthia Nixon receives support from Sex and the City love interest "Steve" and housekeeper "Magda"
Source: The Cut
David Eigenberg, who played Steve, and Lynn Cohen, who played Magda, both think Nixon would make a great New York governor. "She’s incredibly smart and caring, diplomatic and brave,” Eigenberg, who isn't voting since he doesn't live in New York, wrote in an email. “I truly believe she has a genuine and heartfelt desire to move towards a common good for all the people of the Great State of New York.” ALSO: New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declines to say if he has a favorite Sex and the City character.