ExtraLatest News and Opinion
Posted Friday 1/11/19 at 6:19PM EST
Could Billy Bush make his TV comeback on Extra?
Source: The Blast
The disgraced former Access Hollywood and Today co-host "is close to locking down a deal that will bring him back to television after a two-year absence following his ousting from NBC," according to The Blast. Bush is said to be in talks to join Extra when it makes the jump from NBC to Fox stations this fall, reports The Blast, adding that he's one of several new hosts considered for the re-launch of the syndicated entertainment show. Mario Lopez currently hosts Extra with Renee Bargh and Tanika Ray. Bush previously worked on Extra early in his career. Bush famously lost his NBC gigs after the Donald Trump Access Hollywood tape surfaced one month before the 2016 presidential election. He made a brief "apology tour" in December 2017, appearing on Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Posted Friday 1/04/19 at 1:41PM EST
Extra's A.J. Calloway accused of sexual assault by two more women
Two women have come forward anonymously, telling The Daily Beast that the Extra co-host sexually assaulted them, including one who filed a police report on Dec. 24. The new allegations come six months after author and domestic-violence activist Sil Lai Abrams' accusation that Calloway sexually assaulted her in 2006 came to light. When asked about the new allegations, Warner Bros. Television told The Daily Beast, “A.J. issued a personal statement last year which is public and available for your use.”
Posted Monday 12/17/18 at 5:07PM EST
Extra is leaving its longtime home on NBC stations for Fox stations
The Mario Lopez-hosted syndicated entertainment news show's move will be timed with its 25th anniversary in fall 2019.
Posted Thursday 7/05/18 at 8:54PM EDT
Mario Lopez sidelined by a torn Achilles
"Tore my achilles sparring. Ugh.. So frustrated," the Extra host wrote on Instagram, adding in another post that he'll be undergoing surgery on Friday. "No boxing or jiujitsu for a while. Maybe God’s telling me to slow down... Bout to get hooked up with some good pain meds tho."
Posted Thursday 6/28/18 at 1:18PM EDT
NBC News is accused of shelving a story on sexual misconduct accusations against Russell Simmons and Extra's A.J. Calloway
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
MSNBC's Joy Reid was working on the story of Sil Lai Abrams, who alleges that the music mogul raped her in 1996 and that Extra's Calloway sexually assaulted her in 2006, according to a report by The Hollywood Reporter's Kim Masters. Extra airs on NBC owned-and-operated stations. Reid started working on Abrams' story in December and interviewed her on-camera in January. Yet the process for getting it on the air "dragged on frustratingly for weeks and then months," according to Masters. "At times, Reid texted or emailed Abrams about her sense that the network was 'slow walking' the story with 'stupid' requests. Finally, in April, Abrams says Reid told her that the network was no longer responding to her queries as to when the segment might air." Simmons, through his attorney, denied raping Abrams. In Calloway's case, Abrams filed a police report and Calloway was arrested but the case was later dismissed. "These decade-old allegations are false. They were false when they were first made and are false now," said an attorney representing Calloway. Asked to respond to its handling of the story, NBC News issued the following statement: "When MSNBC pursues any investigative story our mission is always to be as thorough as we can, to scrutinize sources and corroborate information before we report. Anything else falls short of our journalistic standards." Meanwhile, Joy Reid issued her own statement to TV Guide: "The process was clearly frustrating for Sil Lai, particularly once other women publicly accused one of the men," Reid said. "Investigative reports like these take time, and not surprisingly, sometimes journalists get frustrated as well. I inappropriately shared that frustration privately with Sil Lai. I completely respect MSNBC's standards and practices. Meticulous research to get the facts right was the only option, especially given the seriousness of the allegations."
Posted Thursday 3/29/18 at 8:36PM EDT
Ben Affleck had the gall to lie to Mario Lopez!
Source: The Washington Post
Posted Monday 9/18/17 at 10:50PM EDT
Mario Lopez: I wasn’t assaulted over the weekend in Las Vegas, but my iPhone was
“I did not get assaulted, people. My phone did, and it was not that big of a deal,” the Extra host said in response to a TMZ report claiming he was “assaulted” at a Vegas spa.