Freaks and GeeksLatest News and Opinion
Posted Saturday 2/17/18 at 1:46AM EST
Everything Sucks! may look like a blatant Freaks and Geeks clone, but it does find its own "beating heart"
The 1996-set Netflix teen comedy is initially shocking because it looks so derivative of Freaks and Geeks and, in part, Stranger Things, says Matthew Gilbert. "But, long story short, I forgive the series, and I think that, ultimately, it manages to have an appealing voice of its own. Instead of faux-Freaks and Geeks, I’m now thinking of it as post-Freaks and Geeks," he says. "Slowly, the story line finds its own way to portray the difficult aspects of adolescence and the social pressures of high school. Everything Sucks! may not be original, but it has a beating heart, a sense of humor, and at least one distinct theme — a sophomore girl named Kate, gracefully portrayed by Peyton Kennedy, who is beginning to accept that she is a lesbian."
- Early episodes are uneven, but it's almost a different show when it finds its sweet spot in latter episodes
- The problem is it clunkily tries to serve two different audiences: teenagers and nostalgic adults
- This might be the first teen show where the principal is the most sympathetic character
- The biggest issue is tone and intent -- it seems to want to be funny
- Everything Sucks! plays like a portrait of the mostly innocent “before” that we took for granted
- Music supervisor was 19 playing music in Seattle when Everything Sucks! takes place
Posted Thursday 12/07/17 at 4:46AM EST
Freaks and Geeks stars celebrate Judd Apatow’s 50th birthday
Busy Philipps shared a group photo with Apatow, John Francis Daly, Samm Levine and Martin Starr.
Posted Friday 10/20/17 at 11:40PM EDT
What inspired American Vandal?
The creators of the Netflix mockumentary discuss how Election, The Jinx, Making a Murderer and Freaks and Geeks inspired their work.
Posted Tuesday 9/26/17 at 5:44PM EDT
Freaks and Geeks is getting the documentary treatment, thanks to A&E and Morgan Spurlock
Spurlock is including the NBC cult classic as part of his new docuseries brand CultureShock.
Posted Friday 9/15/17 at 3:31PM EDT
Busy Philipps taken aback when a politician mistakes her Freaks and Geeks character for a young Sarah Huckabee Sanders
“I LOOK NOTHING LIKE SARAH HUCKABEE SANDERS,” Philipps tweeted in all caps. “I AM NEVER GETTING OVER THIS. I AM ACTUALLY DEAD NOW.”