George TakeiLatest News and Opinion
Posted Friday 6/22/18 at 11:17AM EDT
AMC renews The Terror for a second season set in a World War II Japanese-American internment camp
Season 2 of the anthology series will revolve around “an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific." Alexander Woo, who co-created Season 2 and who will serve as showrunner, says: "I'm deeply honored to be telling a story set in this extraordinary period. We hope to convey the abject terror of the historical experience in a way that feels modern and relevant to the present moment. And the prospect of doing so with a majority Asian and Asian-American cast is both thrilling and humbling." AMC's announcement comes three days after Japanese-American internment camp survivor George Takei wrote an article for Foreign Policy comparing his experience to the Trump administration's immigrant family separation policy. "At least during the internment, my parents were able to place themselves between the horror of what we were facing and my own childish understanding of our circumstances," he wrote.
Posted Friday 5/25/18 at 7:45PM EDT
George Takei wishes his sexual misconduct accuser "peace" after walking back his story
The New York Observer's Shane Snow found inconsistencies in the stories told by Takei accuser Scott Brunton, who alleged Takei sexually assaulted him in 1981, to various media outlets, starting with The Hollywood Reporter. "What I discovered after months of investigation—and after speaking at length with Brunton, people close to Takei, medical toxicologists and legal experts in sex offenses—suggests that this story needs to be recast significantly," wrote Snow. "Brunton, a sympathetic and well-intentioned man, would go on to walk back key details and let slip that, in his effort to be listened to, he’d fabricated some things. This and other evidence would indicate a hard-to-swallow conclusion: We—both public and press—got the George Takei assault story wrong." Takei tweeted a response to the article on Friday, writing: “As many of you know, this has been a very difficult period for myself and my husband Brad as we have dealt with the impact of these accusations, but we are happy to see that this nightmare is finally drawing to a close. As I stated before, I do not remember Mr. Brunton or any of the events he described from forty years ago, but I do understand that this was part of a very important national conversation that we as a society must have, painful as it might be.”
Posted Wednesday 3/14/18 at 1:13PM EDT
Jimmy Kimmel gets George Takei to hawk commemorative plates for ex-Trump White staffers
“Act now,” said Takei. “Like a Trump adviser, this offer won’t be around for long.”
Posted Friday 11/17/17 at 7:14AM EST
Is Louis CK the most likely person to make a comeback from Hollywood’s sexual harassment scandals?
Crisis PR experts examine whether the entertainment industry careers of five men are over, including George Takei, Louis CK and Kevin Spacey.
Posted Thursday 11/16/17 at 12:56AM EST
George Takei will no longer be paid by six media publishers to share their articles in wake of his sexual harassment scandal
Slate, Upworthy, GOOD, Futurism, Refinery29 and Mic have been paying an influencer network that includes Takei to share their articles on social media in exchange for a commission. As of Tuesday, those six publications had cut ties with Takei.
Posted Tuesday 11/14/17 at 2:27PM EST
George Takei apologizes for joking to Howard Stern about “touching men,” says he was playing a “naughty gay grandpa”
The Star Trek icon, who has been sitting in on the Stern show for a few days a year since 2006, is sorry that his Oct. 16 comments about touching men without permission were misconstrued following last week's groping allegation. Takei explains on Facebook that he was actually joking. “For decades,” Takei writes, “I have played the part of a ‘naughty gay grandpa’ when I visit Howard’s show, a caricature I now regret. But I want to be clear: I have never forced myself upon someone during a date. Sometimes my dates were the initiators, and sometimes I was. It was always by mutual consent. I see now that that it has come across poorly in the awkward sketch, and I apologize for playing along with Howard’s insinuation.”
Posted Monday 11/13/17 at 7:57AM EST
George Takei deleted a tweet blaming Russia for spreading the sexual assault allegation against him
The Star Trek icon tweeted Sunday a chart “of what Russian bots have been doing to amplify stories containing allegations against me. It’s clear they want to cow me into silence, but do no fear, friends. I won't succumb to that.” Takei soon deleted the tweet, which came the day after his denial that he didn’t grope a former model and actor named Scott R. Brunton
Posted Friday 11/10/17 at 10:02PM EST
George Takei hinted last month he may have groped men without permission — now an accuser has come forward
When the Star Trek icon sat in on The Howard Stern Show on Oct. 16 in wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, the actor said “um” when Stern asked Takei if he had ever “grabbed somebody by their c*ck against their will." Takei had the same reaction when asked if he had ever sexually harassed somebody. But Takei insisted it was never about sexual harassment, or lording a job over someone. However, tonight a former model and actor, Scott R. Brunton, is accusing Takei of sexual harassment in 1981. "This happened a long time ago, but I have never forgotten it," Brunton tells The Hollywood Reporter. "It is one of those stories you tell with a group of people when people are recounting bizarre instances in their lives, this always comes up. I have been telling it for years, but I am suddenly very nervous telling it." UPDATE: George Takei tweets “I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them,” adding that he doesn't remember his accuser.
Posted Wednesday 9/13/17 at 10:02PM EDT
George Takei is coming to Fresh Off the Boat
He’ll guest as an ESL instructor on the ABC comedy