Gillian FlynnLatest News and Opinion
Posted Saturday 7/07/18 at 10:36AM EDT
Sharp Objects represents a new benchmark for TV about women -- and a rejoinder to True Detective's inherent misogyny
On most male-focused crime shows like True Detective, the most important women are the dead ones, says Willa Paskin. But HBO's Sharp Objects, based on Gillian Flynn's first novel, is a reminder that women can do anything. "This is an overdue development, spurred, perhaps, by recent events finally revealing to male executives just how dark the female experience has always been," says Paskin. "It seems to me to be a necessary next step, advancing the parameters of 'prestige' to include female creators—not just female characters—who are permitted to be as dark and serious as men, with the full and robust backing of a major network and its marketing department. But Sharp Objects also seems to me to be utterly burdened by the clichés of prestige TV—if very likely to reap all of that format’s awards."
- Sharp Objects turns out to be something much darker and more ambitious than your average whodunit
- It's reminiscent of Season 2 of Westworld, except it offers more immediate gratification
- Sharp Objects is an experimental viewing experience, slowly burning its way to a climax rather than throwing all the detective work in your face
- Sharp Objects proves that a two-hour movie just can’t compete with an eight-hour series for creating a layered, complicated world
- Sharp Objects is the scuzziest, sweatiest, booziest drama of the summer -- but suffers from "a getting-the-hell-to-the-point problem"
- Labeling Sharp Objects a small-town mystery or a crime thriller feels a bit like false advertising
- Amy Adams is tremendous in her role -- your attention never wavers from her
- Adams says it was necessary to have a TV drama that delved into women's rage
- Gillian Flynn worried that a film adaptation of her novel would lose the character study: "To me, Sharp Objects was a character study hidden inside of a mystery. It was as much of a who-is-she as a whodunit."
Posted Tuesday 6/05/18 at 5:25PM EDT
HBO's Sharp Objects gets an official trailer
The eight-part psychological thriller starring Amy Adams from Marti Noxon based on Gillian Flynn's book of the same name premieres on July 8.
Posted Tuesday 5/15/18 at 10:53PM EDT
HBO sets summer premiere date for Sharp Objects starring Amy Adams
The Gillian Flynn limited series kicks off its eight episode run on Sunday, July 8.
Posted Monday 4/23/18 at 5:51AM EDT
HBO teases Sharp Objects starring Amy Adams
Source: Just Jared
Adams plays a reporter who returns to her hometown after a grisly murder in the drama based on the Gillian Flynn book that premieres in July.
Posted Thursday 4/19/18 at 1:54PM EDT
Amazon orders a remake of Britain's Utopia from Gillian Flynn
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The Gone Girl author will serve a showrunner for Utopia, which HBO originally ordered to series four years ago before running into problems. The original Utopia aired on Britain's Channel 4 in 2013 and 2014. It is described as a show about "a group of young adults who meet online and are mercilessly hunted by a shadowy deep state organization."
Posted Wednesday 12/06/17 at 7:07PM EST
Check out the first images of Gillian Flynn’s HBO series Sharp Objects, starring Amy Adams
The Gone Girl author’s new series has Adams playing a crime reporter who returns to her hometown after being released from a psychiatric hospital.