Grown-ishLatest News and Opinion
Posted Friday 2/09/18 at 5:53AM EST
How Grown-ish became one of TV’s most stylish shows
Costume designer Michelle Cole, who also works on Black-ish and who got her start on In Living Color, combs through specialty stores and vintage boutiques all over Los Angeles to establish Zoey Johnson’s look.
Posted Thursday 1/18/18 at 9:48PM EST
Freeform gets a new logo and tagline -- “A little forward”
The younger-skewing cable channel is undergoing a makeover two years after transitioning from ABC Family. "At Freeform, we’re purposefully and passionately moving our brand forward by defying expectations and dismantling conventions; busting stereotypes of theme, cast and culture in service to a more inclusive world on and off screen,” said Freeform president Tom Ascheim. He also promoted a video using words like "sweet," "funny," "scary" and "desperate" to describe Freeform’s programming.
- Freeform renews Black-ish spinoff Grown-ish for Season 2
- The Bold Type’s Season 2 premiere set for June 12; Nikohl Boosheri and Stephen Conrad Moore promoted to series regulars
- Famous in Love returns for Season 2 on April 4
- Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger premieres June 7
- Freeform reveals a trailer for Siren mermaid thriller
TOPICS: Freeform, Black-ish, The Bold Type, Famous in Love, Grown-ish, Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger, Siren, Nikohl Boosheri, Stephen Conrad Moore, Tom Ascheim, Cancellations, Renewals & Pickups, Trailers & Teasers
Posted Friday 1/12/18 at 5:54AM EST
It was up to Grown-ish to finally explore Zoey Johnson’s sexuality
Zoey’s sexuality, says Ariana Romero, was something “that Black-ish often glanced at but never actually dealt with. The result was a necessary conversation that many real young people actually have, but rarely see played out on screen.”
Posted Wednesday 1/10/18 at 2:41AM EST
Grown-ish was Freeform’s biggest series launch since 2012
About 1.56 million watched last week’s premiere of the Black-ish spinoff.
Posted Thursday 1/04/18 at 4:57AM EST
Grown-ish needs to time to truly separate itself from Black-ish and establish its own identity
The Freeform spinoff of ABC's Black-ish that puts the focus on Yara Shahidi’s Zoey Johnson is neither great nor bad from the get-go, says Jen Chaney. “The fact is Grown-ish is a different kind of show, one that can’t push Freeform’s boundaries far enough to qualify as edgy, but definitely delves into more mature territory,” says Chaney. “The second episode, in which Zoey finds herself becoming quasi-dependent on Adderall, offers a breakdown of all the different levels of imbibing that casually go on in college, from kids drinking jello shots to taking Oxy to snorting cocaine. While families may regularly watch Black-ish together, Grown-ish feels more targeted at and appropriate for teens and young adults.”
- Shahidi proves to be great on her own show, especially with her comedic timing
- It seems nearly impossible to build a spinoff around Black-ish’s least-defined character
- Grown-ish presents an opportunity to reinvent Zoey Johnson, just as kids reinvent themselves when they leave for college
- Kenya Barris: “Of all the Black-ish characters, Zoey is most like my daughter, who goes to USC”
- Freeform immediately leaped at the opportunity to put on Grown-ish
- Shahidi: “There was so many moments that were happening that were parallel to my own life”
Posted Monday 12/11/17 at 4:07PM EST
ABC orders a family sitcom from Black-ish creator Kenya Barris and Alec Baldwin
Barris, Baldwin and Grown-ish executive producer Julie Bean have received a straight-to-series order on their family comedy about a “stuck-in-his-ways, opinionated, fading TV star who moves in with his progressive daughter, her girlfriend and the child they are raising together.”
Posted Monday 12/04/17 at 6:02PM EST
See a preview of Black-ish spinoff Grown-ish
“You don’t understand, Zozo, the world is a dangerous place now. College is totally different than when I was coming up,” Anthony Anderson’s Andre tells his daughter Zoey (played by Yara Shahidi) in a clip from the ABC spinoff.
Posted Wednesday 8/30/17 at 3:50PM EDT
Black-ish spinoff adds two new cast members
Zoey’s Grown-ish college classmates will now include Francia Raisa and Jordan Buhat.