Guy BranumLatest News and Opinion
Posted Thursday 1/11/18 at 2:57PM EST
TruTV sets premiere dates for Adam Ruins Everything, Talk Show the Game Show and more
Guy Branum’s Talk Show the Game Show returns Feb. 1, while Adam Ruins Everything will be back on March 20, followed by The Chris Gethard Show. Meanwhile, the scripted anthology series Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters debuts this summer.
Posted Saturday 11/11/17 at 3:34AM EST
Louis CK’s “these stories are true” statement contains "several deliberate lies"
"Nestled into CK's admission of fact—'these stories are true'—are several deliberate lies," says Christina Cauterucci. The statement the comedian released Friday represented the “lowest possible bar,” which seemed to appease some reading his statement, she adds. “We have become so accustomed to powerful men calling accusers liars, money-grubbers, and too ugly to assault that a simple admission of truth strikes us as alarmingly mature,” she says. But Cauterucci says if you parsed Louis CK’s statement, you would see that his “phrasing is cunning and specific: Perhaps he did ask each woman if he could take out his penis before he showed it to them, but he doesn’t say they said yes, because many didn’t.” She adds: “What makes this statement even worse is CK’s carefully crafted reputation as a self-aware, self-deprecating guy who’s given a lot of thought to gender dynamics and exploitation.” And to top it all off, she adds, “C.K. never says he’s sorry in his statement. The closest he comes to apologizing is 'I have been remorseful of my actions.' His decision to blanket over his history of abuse with explanations and justifications instead of offering a straightforward apology probably means he’s looking for a way back into the good graces of his audience.”
- Why FX cutting all ties with Louis CK is a big deal: “CK’s firing marks the effective end of one of the young century’s most consequential TV careers, one that endlessly made grist of sexual anxieties and peccadilloes about which it’d seem impossible to laugh, now.
- Louis CK shouldn’t be praised for making “one not-totally-god-awful PR move,” then covering "his a** legally by implying a level of consent from his victims"
- What do we want in an apology?: “Is a good apology enough if it only comes on the heels of mounting and irrefutable evidence against you?”
- Louis CK’s sexual harassment problem actually makes his work make more sense
- A sex therapist explains why men force women to watch them masturbate
- Confessions of a former Louis CK fan, who admired him 85% and loathed him 15%
- Louis CK and, allegedly, Matthew Weiner didn’t just sexually harass women — they silenced them
- Standup comedian and Conan writer Laurie Kilmartin: “The moment a female comic steps offstage, her power dissipates. She is a woman, again. A famous comic can masturbate in front of her and his powerful manager can tell her to stop complaining about it.”
- Questioner who tried to get Jon Stewart to speak about the Louis CK rumors last year responds to The New York Times bombshell
- Many critics considered Louis CK one of the greatest living comedians — so what happens now?
- Tear down the “Boys’ Club” that protected Louis CK: He was able to thrive amid the sexual harassment rumors because his "behavior didn’t hurt the system," says Guy Branum, host of TruTV’s Talk Show the Game Show. “It maintained the system. It alienated women from careers in comedy and allowed everyone to continue to live in a world where they could believe that the table, the Official Council of American Funny, was a place only straight men were worthy of reaching."
Posted Monday 10/02/17 at 8:13PM EDT
Talk Show the Game Show is returning to truTV
Comedian Guy Branum will bring back his talk show/game show hybrid for 16 episodes next year.