Harvey WeinsteinLatest News and Opinion
Posted Tuesday 11/13/18 at 2:46PM EST
Paz de la Huerta sues Harvey Weinstein for sexual battery
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The Boardwalk Empire alum was starring on the HBO series in December 2010 when she alleged that the disgraced mogul raped her and threatened to destroy her career. She is suing Weinstein for assault, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress in connection with two alleged rapes in 2010.
Posted Thursday 10/25/18 at 6:46PM EDT
Megyn Kelly's NBC News exit negotiations may bring up Ronan Farrow's Harvey Weinstein reporting
Kelly's new attorney Bryan J. Freedman, one of Hollywood's top talent-side litigators who was hired late last night, is scheduled to begin exit negotiations with NBC News on Friday. TMZ reports that with nearly two years left on her three-year deal, Kelly is demanding a $50 million settlement or she'll file a lawsuit. Multiple reports say she wants Ronan Farrow to attend the meeting as a witness. Last month, Kelly questioned NBC News' handling of Farrow's reporting on Weinstein, and even contradicted NBC News chairman Andy Lack's insistence that Farrow didn't have an on-the-record interview with Weinstein accuser Rose McGowan. She even called for an independent investigation of NBC News. “Is this retaliation? That’s what this is about,” a source tells Vulture. Sources tell Variety "that NBC News chairman Andy Lack disapproved of Kelly aggressively covering stories about sexual harassment on her show, particularly related to NBC and disgraced anchor Matt Lauer." Kelly's attorney is also expected to bring up MSNBC anchor Joy Reid's old homophobic blog posts and Real Housewives of New York star Luann de Lesseps dressing in blackface as Diana Ross for Halloween. “Both of them still work there,” a source tells Vulture. “All Megyn did was talk about it and apologize.”
- More celebrities, including Ron Howard and Gary Sinise, canceled on Megyn Kelly Today -- while staffers were told Thursday to prepare for a few days off and that they would be moved to new jobs if the show is canceled
- Is there any possibility of Megyn Kelly staying at NBC?
Posted Friday 10/05/18 at 10:26PM EDT
Why haven't we seen a flood of #MeToo-inspired shows?
Source: Vanity Fair
Friday was the one-year anniversary of The New York Times publishing its Harvey Weinstein bombshell story that led to the take down of many powerful men accused of sexual misconduct. In the past year, TV shows from GLOW to Jessica Jones to BoJack Horseman have added #MeToo subplots. Even Brooklyn Nine-Nine has a #MeToo-themed episode in the works. "So why haven’t we seen a flood of new #MeToo and Time’s Up-inspired series unfurling across the TV landscape yet?" wonders Joy Press. "One reason is that shows take a long time to incubate; another might be that TV executives were slow to absorb the enormity of the tectonic shift the country was undergoing, and quick to assume that it would not be a lasting phenomenon." She adds: "Ironically, a handful of shows fueled by female rage and trauma appeared just before #MeToo got rolling—and then disappeared. I’m thinking of series like MTV’s Sweet/Vicious, a short-lived black comedy about two college students who become vigilantes avenging campus rapes, and Amazon’s One Mississippi with Tig Notaro as a comedian who has returned to her childhood home to sift through the sexual trauma of her youth. Both series were canceled too soon." A similar fate befell I Love Dick and the recently canceled Dietland. Sweet/Vicious creator Jennifer Kaytin Robinson creator, who is resurrecting her MTV show as a comic book, says she pitched a show about women taking down a toxic boss right around the time of the Louis CK scandal. But a male executive told her, “this won’t be on the air for another 12 to 18 months; do you still think it’s going to be relevant? Because it seems like it’s getting so much better now.” There are some #MeToo-inspired shows in the pipeline, including Netflix's Unbelievable, based on the Pulitzer-winning article An Unbelievable Story of Rape, as well as Hulu's Shrill, starring Aidy Bryant. One unnamed female showrunner tells Press that many TV executives still feel uncomfortable giving female creators too much room to expand portraits of women. “Women’s anger could make for good television, but it means the industry is going to have to shift and trust a woman to articulate that anger,” says the anonymous showrunner. “It still feels like the definition of relatability for female characters is (that) you have to be a perfect martyr, like Elisabeth Moss’ character in The Handmaid’s Tale.”
Posted Friday 9/21/18 at 10:27PM EDT
Report: NBC News chairman Andy Lack has a history of letting accused sexual harassers keep their jobs -- including one who allegedly blocked Ronan Farrow's story
Source: The Daily Beast
The Daily Beast reports that one of the NBC News bosses who reviewed Farrow's Harvey Weinstein reporting that was ultimately rejected was David Corvo, NBC News' senior executive producer for primetime news, who oversees shows like Dateline. "Corvo is one of NBC News’ most powerful men," reports The Daily Beast. Corvo also was accused of sexual harassing a female employee that led NBC Universal to sign a separation agreement that paid her nearly $1 million. "In return for a sum, the woman is forbidden from saying anything negative about her time at the company. Corvo continues to work at NBC News," says The Daily Beast. Rich McHugh, Farrow's former producing partner at NBC News, says Corvo helped decide the fate of their Weinstein reporting. An NBC News spokesperson countered that Corvo was “not a decision maker on the Weinstein reporting” and said he and two senior women on the review team “were unanimous in affirming that NBC News did not yet have a story that was ready for broadcast.” The Daily Beast also reports that Megyn Kelly was urged by Mark Kornblau, an NBC News executive who reports to Lack, not to cover the Tom Brokaw sexual harassment allegations, which she refused. An NBC News spokesperson says the "insinuation is ridiculous because two days before they spoke, NBC News had already covered the Brokaw story more aggressively than any other network.” The Daily Beast also went back and looked at one of Lack's previous jobs as chairman and CEO of Sony BMG Music Entertainment, where he allegedly looked the other way at sexual harassment accusations against Charlie Walk in the 2000s. Walk was fired from Fox reality show The Four and Republic Records earlier this year over sexual misconduct allegations.
Posted Friday 9/14/18 at 11:17PM EDT
BoJack Horseman creator on #MeToo parallels: "Most of the season was written pre-Harvey Weinstein"
Season 5 of the Netflix series seems especially timely by tackling Hollywood sexism and abuse. Yet "very little" of it was written after the Harvey Weinstein scandal sparked the #MeToo movement, says creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg. "If we had started post-Weinstein we might have structured the season a little differently, but I don’t know if it would’ve been better," says Bob-Waksberg. "I think it actually worked out nicely this way, where the season kind of echoes and dovetails with some things that are happening in the real world but isn’t explicitly about them. There was just one line of dialogue we had to change. Diane said, 'these guys get away with everything and nobody cares.' And then people started caring! So we had to change it to something like, 'these new stories break and people care about them, but nobody cares about the dirtbags we already know about,' which I think is sadly true. And as we move forward in time and the dirtbags that were breaking news turn into the dirtbags we already knew about, that frustration continues."
- BoJack Season 5 shows how protecting abusive, famous men is a tangled and corrupting process that touches everyone
- BoJack Horseman critiques itself in Season 5, taking an unforgiving look inward to find flaws
- In spite of all of BoJack's previous accomplishments, this season's “Free Churro” episode feels particularly risky and unique
- Raphael Bob-Waksberg calls Will Arnett's performance in "Free Churro" the best acting of his career
- Arnett deserves the Emmy with his "Free Churro" performance
Posted Tuesday 9/04/18 at 3:42PM EDT
President Trump threatens NBC's license over its handling of the Harvey Weinstein story
The president responded to the feud between NBC News and Ronan Farrow by tweeting this morning: "NBC FAKE NEWS, which is under intense scrutiny over their killing the Harvey Weinstein story, is now fumbling around making excuses for their probably highly unethical conduct. I have long criticized NBC and their journalistic standards-worse than even CNN. Look at their license?"
Posted Tuesday 9/04/18 at 9:45AM EDT
NBC News vs. Ronan Farrow feud erupts into "open warfare"
Source: The New York Times
NBC News chairman Andrew Lack released a 4,488-word internal memo on Monday saying Farrow's reporting on Harvey Weinstein was not "fit for broadcast." Lack added: “We spent eight months pursuing the story but at the end of that time, NBC News — like many others before us — still did not have a single victim or witness willing to go on the record... But Farrow did not agree with that standard. That’s where we parted ways — agreeing to his request to take his reporting to a print outlet that he said was ready to move forward immediately.” Farrow fired back hours later, in a statement posted to Twitter, saying Lack's memo "contains numerous false or misleading statements." Farrow added that NBC's “list of sources is incomplete and omits women who were either identified in the NBC story or offered to be" and "the suggestion to take the story to another outlet was first raised by NBC, not me, and I took them up on it only after it became clear that I was being blocked from further reporting.” ALSO: Weinstein accuser Emily Nester contradicts "shameful" NBC, backs Farrow's version of events.
Posted Friday 8/31/18 at 2:43PM EDT
NBC News says its top lawyer never threatened Ronan Farrow, calls accusation a "malicious distortion"
The Daily Beast reported Thursday night that, "according to multiple sources familiar with the matter, NBC News General Counsel Susan Weiner made a series of phone calls to Farrow, threatening to smear him if he continued to report on Weinstein." The Daily Beast also quoted an unnamed NBC spokesperson who called those allegations "absolutely false. There’s no truth to that all." This morning, NBC News released a lengthier statement saying, "Susan Weiner has been a champion of journalists and defender of the First Amendment in newsrooms for over thirty years...Weiner reminded Farrow that as he continued his reporting on behalf of a separate news organization he should no longer represent himself as working on behalf of NBC News. She made no threats and the characterization of that conversation in The Daily Beast is a malicious distortion."
Posted Thursday 8/30/18 at 10:02PM EDT
NBC accused of suppressing Ronan Farrow's Harvey Weinstein exposé and threatening to smear him
Source: The New York Times
The order to put a stop to Farrow's Weinstein reporting came from "the very highest levels of NBC," according to Rich McHugh, the NBC News producer who worked closely with Farrow. He is speaking out to The New York Times after recently leaving the network. Meanwhile, The Daily Beast reports, based on multiple sources, that "NBC News general counsel Susan Weiner made a series of phone calls to Farrow, threatening to smear him if he continued to report on Weinstein." The Daily Beast also reports NBC News president Noah Oppenheim "mentioned to Farrow that Weinstein had raised objections to Farrow’s reporting—even though Farrow had not yet asked Weinstein to comment on the allegations, according to individuals briefed on the meeting." An NBC News spokesperson said, speaking anonymously, the allegation that Farrow was threatened was "absolutely false. There’s no truth to that all. There is no chance, in no version of the world, that Susan Weiner would tell Ronan Farrow what he could or could not report on.” McHugh told The Times that NBC was "resistant" to their Weinstein investigation, which ended up being published in The New Yorker. McHugh called NBC News' handling of their investigation "a massive breach of journalistic integrity.” “Three days before Ronan and I were going to head to L.A. to interview a woman with a credible rape allegation against Harvey Weinstein, I was ordered to stop, not to interview this woman,” McHugh told The Times. “And to stand down on the story altogether.” Asked to respond, Oppenheim told The Times: “He was never told to stop in the way he’s implying," adding: “We repeatedly made clear to Ronan and Rich McHugh the standard for publication is we needed at least one credible on-the-record victim or witness of misconduct. And we never met that threshold while Ronan was reporting for us.” Oppenheim added that Weinstein had no influence on NBC News' reporting. McHugh decided to speak out after leaving NBC News two weeks ago. Asked why it took him so long to leave the network, McHugh said he wanted to continue to provide for his family and he feared NBC could retaliate against him. Asked to respond to McHugh's comments to The Times, Farrow said in a statement: "Rich is a fantastic producer and journalist. He’s a person of integrity, and he cared deeply about the investigative stories we worked on together and the importance of seeing them through.” UPDATE: NBC News says any assertion that it tried to kill the Weinstein story is "an outright lie."
Posted Friday 8/03/18 at 8:12PM EDT
Showtime scraps its Guantanamo drama series
The pay cable network originally picked up The Weinstein Company project for 10 episodes one year ago, with Oliver Stone directing the two-hour opening episode. But the Guantanamo Bay detention camp series became embroiled in the Harvey Weinstein sexual misconduct scandal last fall, with Showtime saying it wouldn't proceed with the Weinsteins' involvement. "I hear the TWC’s participation in Guantanamo has not been settled yet but Showtime has made a decision not to move forward with the series," reports Deadline's Nellie Andreeva. "It is unclear whether it will be shopped elsewhere. I hear Showtime’s decision was made before TWC’s sale to Lantern, which recently closed."
Posted Wednesday 8/01/18 at 12:04AM EDT
Demi Moore told an awful Harvey Weinstein joke at The Comedy Central Roast of Bruce Willis
Source: Marie Claire
Moore joked that her ex-husband performed sexual favors on Weinstein to land his Pulp Fiction role, which was especially appalling considering one of the scenes in the film. "To joke about his now-infamous 'casting couch' is not just disparaging to Weinstein's victims, but to every women who used every ounce of courage to come forward about her own experience thereafter," says Jenny Hollander. "So, no, a joke about Willis performing sexually for Weinstein to get a part isn't funny."
Posted Monday 7/16/18 at 3:05PM EDT
Anthony Bourdain imagines Harvey Weinstein's death in an interview conducted four months before his death
Bourdain gave a just-released lenghty interview to Popula's Maria Bustillos in a New York City Irish pub in February. In it, Bourdain had some tough words from Barack Obama and Bill Clinton. But he saved his harshest words for Weinstein. “As much as I’d like to see him, you know, beaten to death in his cell,” Bourdain says, he imagines Weinstein dying of a "massive f*cking stroke" in his bathroom with nobody to help him.
Posted Tuesday 5/29/18 at 12:43PM EDT
Paz de la Huerta "couldn't stop crying" after Harvey Weinstein's arrest
Source: Vanity Fair
The former Boardwalk Empire star is still working to add her voice to the prosecution against Weinstein, saying "I feel my case is being overlooked and not taken as seriously, and that upsets me.” She said Friday of seeing Weinstein in handcuffs: “I just felt extremely emotional today. I couldn’t stop crying. I don’t know why. It should be a day of celebration, but I feel melancholic about it all.” ALSO: Annabella Sciorra says Weinstein's arrest wasn't justice.
Posted Friday 5/25/18 at 10:33AM EDT
Rose McGowan says it's a "very good feeling" seeing Harvey Weinstein in handcuffs
The disgraced mogul was smiling in handcuffs this morning as the NYPD perp walked him out of the police precinct after he turned himself in to face felony sex crime charges, including suspicion of rape, a criminal sex act, sexual abuse and sexual misconduct. The charges stem from accusations from former actress Lucia Evans and another yet-to-be-identified victim. Weinstein's bail was set at $1 million cash or $10 million bond. McGowan, one of Weinstein's most prominent accusers, appeared on Megyn Kelly Today soon after Weinstein's arrest to describe her reaction to seeing Weinstein in handcuffs. “It’s surreal. It’s… real. It’s both,” she said. “It’s a very good feeling… I actually didn’t believe this day would come… This is a big strike into the heart of abuse of power, and it shows people worldwide — which is what I was hoping [for] the whole time — that this will not stand.” ALSO: Ronan Farrow warns on GMA: "It’s unclear whether, Weinstein, even if found guilty, will spend any time behind bars"
Posted Thursday 5/24/18 at 7:14PM EDT
Rose McGowan reacts to news of Harvey Weinstein's impending arrest: "Today we are one step closer to justice"
"I, and so many of Harvey Weinstein’s survivors, had given up hope that our rapist would be held accountable by law," McGowan wrote on Instagram in reaction to news that Weinstein will turn himself in to police on Friday. "Twenty years ago, I swore that I would right this wrong. Today we are one step closer to justice. We were young women who were assaulted by Weinstein and later terrorized by his vast network of complicity. I stand with my fellow survivors. May his arrest give hope to all victims and survivors everywhere that are telling their truths."