I Love You, America with Sarah SilvermanLatest News and Opinion
Posted Friday 11/02/18 at 3:01PM EDT
Catholic League slams Sarah Silverman over Fred Armisen's potty-mouthed pansexual Jesus Christ on I Love You, America
Armisen reprised his Jesus character on last night's episode for a midterms-themed sketch on her Hulu series. The Catholic League tweeted in response: "Sarah Silverman has lots of competition, but she proved again last night on her Hulu show that she is America's most obscene, low class, anti-Catholic comedian. The "Jesus" character she interacted with was proof of that."
Posted Friday 9/28/18 at 6:27AM EDT
Will Ferrell dines with Sarah Silverman dressed as Socrates
Watch a clip from the latest episode of I Love You, America, in which Ferrell as the Greek philosopher discusses democracy.
Posted Wednesday 9/26/18 at 3:43AM EDT
How I Love You, America found a Republican power player to go on a date with Sarah Silverman
Source: The Washington Post
Doug Heye, a veteran political consultant and CNN contributor, was enlisted to offer proof that a conservative and a liberal could get along -- although Heye says "I didn't vote for Trump."
Posted Thursday 9/13/18 at 11:07PM EDT
Sarah Silverman visited by Jon Hamm as President Lincoln, Jason Sudeikis as President Nixon and Comedy Central's President Trump
Watch I Love You, America's presidential sketch featuring everybody from Adam Scott to Anthony Ataminuik.
Posted Sunday 9/09/18 at 12:19PM EDT
Sarah Silverman: My I Love You, America monologue helped one of Louis CK's daughters deal with his sexual misconduct scandal
Source: The Daily Beast
Silverman said Friday night "I can't be objective" when it comes to Louis CK's return to standup comedy because "Louis is my brother, we grew up together, I’ve known him since I was 19." As part of a Paley Center for Media discussion, Silverman also said her monologue on Louis CK from last November's I Love You, America in which she asked “Can you love someone who did bad things?” helped CK's daughter. "I will say—and I hope this is OK to say—that after I did that (monologue), he called me. And he said it really helped one of his daughters to understand," said Silverman. "She showed it to him and she said, I can love you even though you did bad things. And we cried. It was a small silver lining in a very bleak story."
Posted Saturday 9/08/18 at 12:54AM EDT
With I Love You, America, Sarah Silverman has conquered how to create a talk show for a streaming service
Chelsea Handler, Michelle Wolf and Joel McHale failed on Netflix, and David Letterman's interview show doesn't really count. "Unlike Wolf, McHale and Handler, and more like Letterman — if not current broadcast luminaries like Jimmy Fallon and James Corden — Silverman has tapped into a surprisingly vibrant strain of broadness at an otherwise disruptive time for television," says Andrew Husband. "When it seems like everyone else is trying to make content for very specific niches of interest, the 47-year-old comedian is more interested in getting her material out in front of coastal liberal elites, conservatives from the American Heartland, and everything in between the two, and beyond. In other words, pretty much anyone who has a Hulu subscription and happens to find I Love You, America in its catalog."
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America with Sarah Silverman, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Monday 4/16/18 at 12:41PM EDT
Sarah Silverman's I Love You, America will return in time for the midterm elections
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Hulu announced that Silverman's political talk show has been picked up for an 11-episode second season premiering on Sept. 6.
Posted Thursday 12/14/17 at 10:03PM EST
Sarah Silverman calls out a conservative media watchdog for falsely referring to her Jesus depiction as “Pro-Choice Liberal”
Fred Armisen played “Jesus in a Sandwich Shop” in tonight’s I Love You, America episode, which prompted the conservative Media Research Council to call Silverman’s depiction “Pro-Choice Liberal.” In fact, tweeted Silverman, “Jesus is personally against abortion in this depiction. But how can UB expected to watch a whole 5 1/2 min video B4 commenting on it.”
Posted Monday 11/20/17 at 11:08PM EST
Sarah Silverman and Samantha Bee were better at tackling Louis CK -- and it's not just because they're women
“On the one hand, yes, they’re both women; their perspectives on the situation are not only different but give them a certain advantage in understanding it that their male peers will never have,” says Caroline Framke. “But on the other, Bee and Silverman did something that no one else has: They straight up acknowledged that they’re a part of the community that has traditionally fostered men like CK and (Al) Franken.” Framke adds: “Obviously, Bee and Silverman can comment on this whole mess from a much different place than any man in late night possibly could. But it was their choice to lean into that fact, and to speak specifically about their personal connections to the story, while their male peers’ more general condemnations of harassment did little to examine their own links to the problem going unchecked within the comedy community.”
Posted Thursday 11/16/17 at 3:42PM EST
Sarah Silverman addresses Louis CK, “the elephant masturbating in the room”
In an emotional I Love You, America monologue, Silverman notes that Louis CK has been “one of my best friends of over 25 years.” She adds that the revelations have been “a real mindf*ck: I love Louis, but Louis did these things. Both of those statements are true… I hope it’s OK if I am at once very angry for the women he wronged and the culture that enabled it… but also sad, because he’s my friend.”
Posted Friday 10/13/17 at 11:28PM EDT
In her Hulu debut, Sarah Silverman wanted to do the “picture-the-audience-naked concept” using actual full-frontal nudity
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The comedy bit where the audience is naked (but not really) has been done a lot of times, including on SNL, so Silverman was initially reluctant to go with the idea when it was pitched to her. But Silverman on the debut of her Hulu show I Love You, America wanted to take advantage of being on Hulu. "So we just leaned into that trope and made it into something totally, in my opinion, original,” she says. “I wanted to take advantage of the fact that we are on a network where we can see nudity, clinical nudity." She adds: "It's totally nonsexual nudity and yet it's so jarring to see because we're not used to it, especially in America. So I just got excited about showing clinical nudity — you know, a flaccid penis and balls and pubes and a vagina and just human, fleshy, beautiful bodies. All it takes is exposure to be used to things."
- The conversations that followed the nudity bit were just as uncomfortable
- Silverman displays a genuine sense of empathy with people who aren’t liberal like her
- Silverman’s sincerity saves the show from being dismissable fluff
- Silverman: “The one thing I’ve learned overall about this is that facts don’t change people’s minds”
- Samantha Bee: “Welcome to the club, Sarah Silverman”!
Posted Monday 10/09/17 at 3:47PM EDT
Sarah Silverman releases a music video preview of her new Hulu show, I Love You, America
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Watch Silverman's five-minute ode to Americans.