Jake JohnsonLatest News and Opinion
Posted Monday 10/08/18 at 6:10PM EDT
Max Greenfield and Damon Wayans Jr. have found a crazy New Girl connection between their CBS Monday night sitcom characters
Source: Entertainment Weekly
Wayans plays Jake Davis on Happy Together, while Greenfield plays Dave Johnson on The Neighborhood. If you take away Davis and Dave, you have Jake Johnson, their former New Girl co-star.
Posted Wednesday 10/03/18 at 9:05PM EDT
Jake Johnson to star in Netflix animated comedy Hoops from Phil Lord and Chris Miller
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The New Girl alum will play a "hot-headed, foul-mouthed high school basketball coach who thinks turning around his god-awful team will take him to the 'big leagues,'" in the comedy created by Ben Hoffman. This is Lord and Miller's second animated comedy announced in a week. Last week, Fox ordered Bless the Harts starring Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph.
Posted Tuesday 5/15/18 at 10:53PM EDT
New Girl creator on series finale twist: "I was nervous about it because we’ve never done anything like that on the show"
Source: Entertainment Weekly
Liz Meriwether says her "incredible writers" came up with one of the series finale's biggest reveals, adding: "We wanted to have the finale be emotional but not have it be too emotional, and this felt like the (message) of the show. It’s still a bit silly." As for what Meriwether regrets not including in the show, she says with a laugh: "I really wish that we could have had a Nick and Schmidt kiss in the finale, but I guess I’ll have to be satisfied with Schmidt telling Nick that he loves him."
Posted Tuesday 5/15/18 at 6:27PM EDT
New Girl says goodbye having shed many identities
When Liz Meriwether's Fox comedy starring Zooey Deschanel ends its seven-season run tonight, it will have lived multiple lives. "Most long-running series evolve in some way, but few have shed identities quite as often, as easily, or as successful creatively as New Girl has through its many lives," says Alan Sepinwall. "First, it was the Zoey Is Adorkable show, as all of the marketing, and much of the writing, were focused on the big-eyed 500 Days of Summer star’s many quirks, her clumsiness, her sloppy and vulnerable emotions, and her penchant for singing her own theme song. In the early days, the show was so Jess-centric that her three new male roommates barely registered as characters." Yet New Girl evolved to allow Schmidt, Nick and Winston to emerge. "Charming and funny as Deschanel was," says Sepinwall, "that version of the series wasn’t sustainable (though the show was a genuine hit back at the start, and for many years now has suffered tiny ratings even by #EndTimes for broadcast TV standards), and the writers quickly fell in love with Max Greenfield’s off-kilter line readings as the loft’s lovable douchebag Schmidt."
- New Girl was "the Trojan horse of chocolate cakes" -- it presented "an easy-to-understand package and hid its secret sauce inside"
- Creator Liz Meriwether plans to write the post-#MeToo playbook now that she has a powerful voice
- What's the best idea for a New Girl spinoff, Schmidt Happens?
- Tonight's “The Curse of the Pirate Bride” episode was inspired by Meriwether's real-life marriage
- Zooey Deschanel doesn't know what to make of Snooki's fan letter
Posted Tuesday 4/10/18 at 7:15PM EDT
New Girl's final season gets to explore how life goes on after a rom-com ending
Source: The Daily Mail
The Season 6 finale gave Fox's Zooey Deschanel comedy the perfect ending. New Girl didn't need to have another season, says Caroline Framke. Yet Season 7 is worth watching, she says, because it "is an incredibly charming victory lap that manages to keep the characters and their relationships intact even as they enter the next, ostensibly more mature stages of their lives...At first, it’s jarring to see everyone we once knew as lovably chaotic messes living the lives they always dreamed of. But to the credit of both the actors and writers, everyone’s evolutions end up feeling entirely natural." She adds: "What this season proves is that these characters don’t need to be playing drinking games and sleeping with the wrong people to be the people their fans grew to love. Against the odds, New Girl found a way to roll the credits on its own rom-com and show what happens next without overstaying its welcome."
- The cast filmed the final season with a renewed since of excitement, like it was senior year of high school
- Creator Liz Meriwether is still unsure if "Girl" should've been in the title: "It ended up working, I guess!"
- New Girl made a home at the end of one TV era and the beginning of another
- Other shows do what New Girl does better, but it's still a unique show that's needed on TV
- New Girl crew would've liked to see a Schmidt Happens spinoff
- Zooey Deschanel: "It felt like we were ready for it to be the end, in a bittersweet way"
- Lamorne Morris: The cast stuck around on set two hours reminiscing after wrapping the final scene
- New Girl's best recurring characters, from Sadie to Outside Dave
- How New Girl writer Noah Garfinkel ended up in a portrait on The Good Place
Posted Tuesday 3/13/18 at 10:17PM EDT
A high schooler is using Twitter to try and get the New Girl guys to have dinner before prom
Source: Teen Vogue
So far Dharma Boreman has received more than 100,000 retweets for her cause.
Posted Monday 11/27/17 at 8:49AM EST
Jake Johnson recalls how he wrote a letter to Fox executives in hopes of saving New Girl from cancelation
Johnson credits the letters that he and other cast members sent for help bring back the comedy for a final abbreviated season.