Kurt SutterLatest News and Opinion
Posted Tuesday 5/08/18 at 1:23PM EDT
FX's Mayans MC debuts its first teaser
The Sons of Anarchy spinoff from Kurt Sutter and "thug-turned-filmmaker" Elgin James premieres this fall.
Posted Wednesday 2/14/18 at 5:44PM EST
Netflix is looking like a "parallel TV universe" following the Ryan Murphy and Shonda Rhimes deals
Netflix has been considered everything from an online-video platform to a network to a cable channel. "The Murphy and Rhimes deals suggest something else: It’s an entire parallel TV universe, and it’s still expanding," says James Poniewozik. "Think of Netflix as the Upside Down in its sci-fi series Stranger Things. By this I don’t mean that it’s a nefarious or dangerous force. But it is a kind of alternative TV dimension, overlaying and replicating the known world of traditional television, that tries to acquire one of everything that exists in the universe of TV." Poniewozik says his first instinct was to liken Netflix to cable. But cable channels have brands. They have specialties and sensibilities to cater to a specific audience. "Netflix doesn’t have that; in fact, it is specifically anti-that," he says. "Its brand is 'stuff that you like to watch on TV.' It developed a vast library of reruns, and with that, a proprietary trove of data on who likes to watch what and how much. Then it made more of that, or bought it. If you liked 30 Rock, here’s Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. If you liked Damages, here’s Bloodline."
- FX responds to Ryan Murphy's Netflix deal, points to its deep bench of shows its "very successful track record of identifying and developing talented writers"
- Who's next? Will Kurt Sutter, Donald Glover and Noah Hawley also bail on FX?
- Losing Murphy and Rhimes deals a blow to a Disney's planned rival streaming service
- What the Netflix deal means for each of Ryan Murphy's shows, from 9-1-1 to American Horror Story
- Rhimes and Murphy's Netflix deals should put traditional networks on alert
- Netflix's poaching of Murphy could change TV for good
Posted Friday 1/05/18 at 2:15PM EST
FX picks up Sons of Anarchy spinoff Mayans MC, unveils first photo
After some retooling, including shooting a new pilot and recasting several roles, the Kurt Sutter series, has officially been picked up with a 10-episode order. “Kurt Sutter is a master storyteller and Mayans MC has the raw energy and intensity that are hallmarks of his signature style,” said FX president Nick Grad in a statement. “Thanks to Kurt, co-creator Elgin James and this amazing cast, Mayans MC builds on the legacy of Sons of Anarchy, taking it in a thrilling new direction that we can’t wait for the world to see.”
Posted Monday 10/09/17 at 10:47PM EDT
Apple cancels Elvis Presley miniseries with The Weinstein Company amid Harvey Weinstein scandal
The Weinstein Company-produced 10-part Elvis miniseries was in its early development stages, which made it easier for Apple to pull the plug and, likely, distance itself from Harvey Weinstein’s sexual harassment scandal. According to Deadline, “Weinstein Television had partnered with the Elvis Presley estate in 2016 to create an eight- to 10-part television biopic that gave the company all music rights and access to shoot in the singer’s Graceland home and to the King’s automobiles, clothes and jets.”
- The Bachelor creator Mike Fleiss calls Weinstein “a scumbag!!! And a criminal!!!! Lock him up!!!!”
- Emmy Rossum, Judd Apatow are among celebs taking to Twitter to denounce Weinstein
- Lena Dunham regrets performing at a Weinstein Company-sponsored Hillary Clinton fundraiser
- Female writers on Seth Meyers' Late Night take down Weinstein
- Sons of Anarchy’s Kurt Sutter: “We’ve seen this bad f*cking movie so many times…”