Late Night with Seth MeyersLatest News and Opinion
Posted Friday 9/21/18 at 1:26PM EDT
Seth Meyers turns over Late Night to Kelly Clarkson to give her talk show interview experience
Source: E! Online
Meyers and Clarkson swapped seats to prepare for her upcoming syndicated daytime talk show on NBC stations.
Posted Wednesday 8/15/18 at 2:13PM EDT
Late Night's Amber Ruffin remakes House of Cards and The Cosby Show to omit their disgraced stars
Watch her take on Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood and Cosby's Cliff Huxtable, as well as Woody Allen's character in Annie Hall.
Posted Wednesday 8/15/18 at 2:13PM EDT
Better Call Saul's Rhea Seehorn is always concerned about Kim Wexler's fate every time she reads a script
“Patrick Fabian and I, every time we get the scripts, we flip through them as fast as possible and then we call each other: ‘I’m not dead! You’re not dead!,'” Seehorn said on Late Night with Seth Meyers. “And then we get back to doing the work. But yea, you always have to check.”
Posted Saturday 8/11/18 at 4:53AM EDT
Seth Meyers discusses putting his writers on TV and shying away from politicians as guests as the Midterms approach
Segments like "Jokes Seth Can't Tell" are a "total carryover from SNL. It took us awhile to figure out the best way to present those voices and I think for writers who hadn’t been on television before to figure out the best way to present themselves," says Meyers. "But that was always the goal.” As for cutting back on politicians as guests, the Late Night host says: “Talking about politics is more fun than talking to actual politicians. The problem I found is, especially during elections, I feel like people really stick to their script and what’s poll-tested. The worst thing they could take away from it is some kind of gaffe that sticks to them. To be honest right now, a sitting senator would be more interesting to me than somebody who’s running for something. But even then, I just haven’t been able to crack how to make it not Meet the Press. They know exactly where to bring their hand down on the table and exactly when to put their hand on your shoulder. And so you feel a little bit like a prop.”
Posted Saturday 8/11/18 at 4:53AM EDT
Matt Groening to visit Seth Meyers on Thursday for his first late-night TV appearance since 2007
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The Simpsons creator will promote his new Netflix animated series Disenchantment. His last visit to a late-night show was in 2007 when he appeared on former The Simpsons writer Conan O'Brien's Late Night to promote The Simpsons movie.
Posted Thursday 8/09/18 at 2:00PM EDT
Seth Meyers discussed with MSNBC's Chris Hayes the Late Night writer who ties them together
Writer Sal Gentile is the person chiefly responsible for Meyers' "Closer Look" segments, having previously worked as a producer on Hayes' MSNBC show . As Late Night producer Mike Shoemaker explains, "30 Rock full circle: @salgentile trains with @chrislhayes then he writes Closer Looks for @sethmeyers who goes on @allinwithchris to talk about @salgentile. It’s like how corruption works except the opposite."
Posted Thursday 8/02/18 at 3:05AM EDT
Amy Adams: I was fired from three different TV shows for three very different reaasons
The Sharp Objects star recounted her TV firings to Seth Meyers. One was for being bad in a role. Another role she lost due to another actress' availability. And finally, she says she was fired from a role for not being sexy enough.
Posted Saturday 7/28/18 at 12:28AM EDT
How late-night talk shows create the impression that hosts are chummy with their guests in real life
As Bethy Squires explains, talk show "researchers and publicists work together to create an agenda for a conversation, then it’s up to the host and star to smooth flesh over that rough armature and make it look real."
Posted Wednesday 7/25/18 at 11:01PM EDT
Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers reunite for "Really!?!" segment
The former SNL star "Weekend Update" co-anchors reteamed on Late Night to resurrect their signature bit in taking on former FBI director James Comey.
Posted Friday 7/13/18 at 11:36PM EDT
Why do the Emmys keep snubbing Late Night with Seth Meyers?
Source: Vanity Fair
Meyers' late-night talk show only earned one nomination this year, for writing. But it has never been nominated in the outstanding variety talk show category. "Late Night’s absence from the nominee list feels wholly unjust," says Laura Bradley. "Of all the comedians currently putting America to bed with humor, Meyers has been one of the most consistently insightful and funny. Like any show, Late Night took a little time to find its footing following its debut four years ago—but soon enough, Meyers emerged as perhaps the one true successor to Jon Stewart at a time when such bold, insightful voices were scarce in the genre." Plus, she adds, Meyers is on the most vocal consistently vocal male comedians in the wake of the #MeToo movement, who has handed his mic over to his female writers.
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Wednesday 6/27/18 at 9:42PM EDT
James Corden beat Seth Meyers for the first time in a year
The Late Late Show drew more viewers last week thanks to Corden's second London trip. In fact, the last time Corden topped Late Night with Seth Meyers was during the week of last year's London trip.
Posted Thursday 5/31/18 at 9:13PM EDT
Late Night with Seth Meyers writers tout the benefit of having a diverse staff
Writer/performer Amber Ruffin says "it's just impractical today" to have an all-white writing staff. Fellow writer/performer Jenny Hagel adds: “If you have 14 identical people in a writer’s room you’re going to get 14 identical jokes off that headline. But if you have people with all different backgrounds, different ages, different genders, ethnicities, people are going to see a different way into that story or have a different reaction. So I think you just get a wider variety of jokes.”
Posted Tuesday 5/29/18 at 12:43PM EDT
Inside Seth Meyers' Late Night writers' room
Source: The Washington Post
The Washington Post spent a day with Meyers and his staff as they crafted everything from a "Closer Look" to jokes about the Trump presidency. “We do want to just make jokes about what’s happening on any given day,” says Meyers. “And he just happens to be the thing that’s happening on every given day.”
Posted Friday 5/25/18 at 10:33AM EDT
Seth Meyers reunites former Office colleagues Mindy Kaling and Ellie Kemper
Source: E! Online
Kaling and Kemper, who were booked on Late Night to promote separate projects (Ocean's 8 and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) back-to-back, reminisced about their Office past and their girl group Subtle Sexuality.