Lena DunhamLatest News and Opinion
Posted Thursday 10/18/18 at 5:51PM EDT
Lena Dunham's Lenny Letter is shutting down
Source: New York Post
Dunham and her Girls and Camping collaborator Jenni Konner created Lenny Letter, a twice-a-week newsletter and website focused on women's topics that launched in 2015. The newsletter, which once boasted 500,000 subscribers, will shut down on Friday after struggling with ad support.
Posted Wednesday 10/17/18 at 3:23PM EDT
Lena Dunham had surgery to remove her left ovary
Source: E! Online
"Yesterday I had a two hour surgery to remove my left ovary, which was encased in scar tissue & fibrosis, attached to my bowel and pressing on nerves that made it kinda hard to walk/pee/vamp," the Girls alum wrote on an Instagram post this morning.
Posted Monday 10/15/18 at 4:02PM EDT
Lena Dunham and her Camping stars slam critics who complained that Jennifer Garner's character is "unlikable"
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
"I can't believe that we're still having a conversation about unlikable women on television," Dunham said of the word "unlikable" that was frequently used to describe Garner's character Kathryn in the many negative reviews for her new HBO series. Dunham added: "It just drives me nuts that we can have a Tony Soprano or a Walter White or any of these characters who are wreaking literal havoc on the world around them and killing people, and then when you have a woman who's thorny and complicated, and there's no way to find empathy for her." Camping star Brett Gelman added: "I'm so sick of this word 'unlikable.' I'm so sick of reading it in reviews. I think it's lazy...You have Kathryn leading this show, where if she was a man, I think people would think that that character was hilarious. Nobody wants to see a woman onscreen who is a wreck. That is pure, unadulterated systemic misogyny."
Posted Saturday 10/13/18 at 3:11AM EDT
HBO's Camping is an endurance test of a bad idea starring a miscast Jennifer Garner
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Unfortunately, nothing much on the Lena Dunham-Jenni Konner follow-up to Girls works, says Tim Goodman. And it starts with the miscast Garner. "Who takes Jennifer Garner and makes her a completely unlikable and joyless nag, annoying everyone around her?" asks Goodman. He adds: "The casting comes off like it was just Dunham and Konner picking friends to fill out roles, which results in an across-the-board lack of chemistry (or much interest) as the story unfolds. And while Camping is indeed supposed to be a story of misery (because none of these people seem like campers, which is probably the central joke of the original series), making Walt's birthday weekend a torturous affair doesn't work if the humor that it's supposed to generate doesn't materialize. Watching becomes as big a slog for the viewer as getting through that ill-advised camping trip is for the characters."
- Camping is a Lena Dunham series with Jennifer Garner in the Dunham role: "Garner gives unlikability her all, but it comes across as pretending"
- It's a deeply unpleasant viewing experience, led by the single most insufferable TV character in recent memory
- Camping isn’t fun to watch at all -- except to see a misfire take shape
- Garner makes sense for the lead role, making her downright odious character at least laughably maddening
- You'll love how much you'll hate Jennifer Garner's character
- Garner plays a profoundly difficult character, and she embraces it, though "her innate Jennifer Garner-hood" shines through
- Garner's character becomes exhausting to her "friends" and the audience
- Camping shows so little insight or movement that watching it becomes nearly as unpleasant as it is for the characters living through it
- Lena Dunham calls Camping "one giant bottle episode"
- Jennifer Garner and David Tennant discuss leaving their comfort zones
Posted Thursday 7/26/18 at 1:45PM EDT
HBO shares the first footage of Jennifer Garner in Camping
The Lena Dunham-Jenni Konner comedy's first teaser also features David Tennant, who plays Garner's husband.
Posted Wednesday 7/25/18 at 1:49PM EDT
Jenni Konner: There's no "drama" behind producing breakup with Girls collaborator Lena Dunham
“We feel super lucky to have had eight amazing years together, we just want to do different things. There’s no drama to be found there," Konner told critics at the TCA press tour while promoting HBO's Camping. "It’s just about the creative process." Dunham wasn't in attendance due to being under the weather.
Posted Tuesday 7/24/18 at 8:03PM EDT
Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner are ending their producing partnership
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The Girls collaborators, who have been recently filming HBO's Camping, will sign individual deals with HBO after their joint deal expires at the end of this year. "We have had one of the most significant relationships together in our adult lives and we respect each other’s choices," Dunham and Konner said in a statement. "While our interests are pulling us in different directions right now, we are excited about our current work and are firmly committed to the projects we have together. HBO has been our home for quite some time and we look forward to continuing there as we both move forward."
Posted Tuesday 7/17/18 at 9:09PM EDT
Cynthia Nixon received donations from Sex and the City's "Mr. Big," Lena Dunham and Alec Baldwin
Source: New York Daily News
Chris Noth donated $2,500 to his former co-star's gubernatorial campaign, while Baldwin gave $16,000. Also donating money were Lena Dunham, who gave $10,000, and Debra Messing, who gave $500. Nixon's HBO co-stars Sarah Jessica Parker and Kristin Davis previously donated $5,000 and $2,000, respectively.
Posted Wednesday 5/30/18 at 2:14PM EDT
Roseanne executive producer recalls the "shock" of learning of cancelation on the first day working on Season 2
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Dave Caplan says "there was a lot of bittersweet hellos — and a couple hours later, a lot of very difficult goodbyes." He says the writing staff first learned about the cancelation via the media. "Everybody is still in shock at how quickly this all went down," he says. "It's unfortunate because the writers did pass on other jobs to take this job and nobody really knows yet what kind of compensation they're going to get. Everybody is a little bit on edge about how it's going to turn out. But we all know it's a wasted opportunity to write more episodes."
- ABC president apologizes to Roseanne's now-unemployed staff: "We're so sorry they were swept up in all of this and we give thanks to their remarkable talents, wish them well and hope to find another way to work together down the road."
- Roseanne Barr tweets "I’m not a racist. I never was & I never will be" before retweeting an anti-Valerie Jarrett Wikileaks document dump
- Dictionary searches for "racist" have skyrocketed in the past 24 hours
- Ambien maker responds to Roseanne's Ambien defense: "racism is not a known side effect"
- Mindy Kaling offers to "write things" for Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman
- Lena Dunham responds to Kaling's tweet, offering to do a spinoff "starring Darlene’s cool kids"
- Whoopi Goldberg slams Roseanne for retweeting a fake anti-Trump meme about her
- From Jackie to Darlene to Jackie and Darlene: Five ways Roseanne could return without Roseanne Barr
- Jimmy Kimmel imagines a Roseanne-less Roseanne show that focuses on Dan Conner
- Why Roseanne can't carry on without Roseanne Barr: She'll undermine the show with her tweeting
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus responds to Roseanne with an Instagram picture with "my pal" Valerie Jarrett
- Shonda Rhimes blasts Roseanne's Ambien defense, tells her to "#ownyouractions"
- Bill Maher -- who also was canceled by ABC amid controversy -- gets caught in the Roseanne cancelation crossfire
Posted Wednesday 5/16/18 at 11:25PM EDT
Busy Philipps goes Camping with Nicole Richie
The actress posted an Instagram picture from the set of the Lena Dunham-Jenni Konner HBO series.
Posted Friday 3/16/18 at 3:07PM EDT
David Tennant joins HBO's Camping as Jennifer Garner's "obedient husband"
The Doctor Who alum will play opposite Garner's controlling mom character on the Lena Dunham series. His character, Walt, is described as "an obedient husband and a loving father, the reliable lynch pin of his male social group.”
Posted Monday 3/12/18 at 6:57AM EDT
Lena Dunham jokes she now has "19 people ready to stop me from tweeting" to avoid more Twitter snafus
At SXSW, the former Girls star addressed her problem of stumbling into controversy on social media. “These articles come out that say, ‘Lena Dunham apologies for like the 87th’ time,’ (but) that was how I was raised,” she said. “We try and we fail and we try again. We think the problem from another angle and we grow.”
Posted Tuesday 3/06/18 at 2:34PM EST
Jennifer Garner on working with Lena Dunham: "Wait did I sign a nudity waiver?”
The actress joked about her HBO Camping collaboration with Dunham while mocking her Oscars viral video. “Can’t wait to work with Lena Dunham! Wait did I sign a nudity waiver?” she said.
Posted Tuesday 2/13/18 at 7:30PM EST
Lena Dunham says she underwent a total hysterectomy
The former Girls star hopes the procedure will help in her battle with endometriosis.
Posted Thursday 2/08/18 at 1:41PM EST
HBO is bringing Jennifer Garner back to TV with the comedy Camping from Girls’ Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner
Garner is making her return to television 12 years after the finale of Alias finale for an eight-episode limited series based on the British TV comedy of the same name. Garner will play “a controlling L.A. mom who is far less cheerful than her Lululemons imply” who goes on a frustrating camping trip with her husband, her “meek” sister and her “holier than thou ex-best friend.” Dunham and Konner will serve as showrunners, while Camping creator Julia Davis will also serve as an executive producer. “We love Jennifer’s restraint and comedic timing, and we can’t wait for the warmth and intelligence she’ll bring to our central character, Kathryn,” Dunham and Konner said in a statement. “It’s truly a dream to have her first on our call sheet. Now we just have to write her some stunts.”