Lin-Manuel MirandaLatest News and Opinion
Posted Wednesday 9/12/18 at 6:27PM EDT
HBO partners with BBC on His Dark Materials
HBO has come aboard as co-producer of the BBC series, an adaptation of Philip Pullman's book trilogy. HBO will also broadcast His Dark Materials outside of Britain. Starring Dafne Keen, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ruth Wilson and James McAvoy, His Dark Materials was picked up for a second eight-episode season on Tuesday. According to Deadline, His Dark Materials, which began filming earlier this month, "is believed to be one of the biggest in scope and most expensive British dramas to date." HBO coming aboard also will serve as a reunion of sorts for cast member Clarke Peters, who starred on HBO's The Wire and Treme.
Posted Friday 7/27/18 at 1:14PM EDT
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ruth Wilson and James McAvoy join BBC's His Dark Materials
The trio have been tapped to star in the limited series based on British author Philip Pullman's fantasy novels, with The King's Speech Oscar-winning director Tom Hooper helming the first two episodes.
Posted Wednesday 7/25/18 at 1:49PM EDT
Kennedy Center Honors will salute Lin-Manuel-Miranda, Cher and Reba McEntire
Source: Orlando Sentinel
The 41st Kennedy Center Honors will also honor composer Philip Glass and jazz saxophonist and composer Wayne Shorter this fall. Miranda will be honored along with fellow Hamilton co-creators: director Thomas Kail, choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler and music director Alex Lacamoire. No word yet on if President Trump will attend this year's ceremony after bowing out last year.
Posted Tuesday 7/24/18 at 8:03PM EDT
FX orders Bob Fosse-Gwen Verdon miniseries from Lin-Manuel Miranda, starring Sam Rockwell and Michelle Williams
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The eight-episode Fosse/Verdon will tell the story of the romantic and creative partnership between Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon, based on Sam Wasson's biography Fosse. Rockwell will play Fosse and Williams will play Verdon. "He was a visionary filmmaker and one of theater’s most influential choreographers and directors, while she was the greatest Broadway dancer of all time," says Variety. "Together they changed the face of American entertainment at a perilous cost." Miranda will serve as one of the executive producers.
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 5:29PM EDT
More people of color were nominated for Emmys this year than ever before
Source: TV Guide
According to TV Guide's tally, 38 people of color were nominated in the top categories, form Lin-Manuel Miranda to Sandra Oh to Trevor Noah. That's nearly double from 2016, when 21 people of color were nominated. ALSO: Sandra Oh and Darren Criss' nominations show the two ways to diversity casting.
# TOPICS: Emmys, 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, Darren Criss, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Sandra Oh, Trevor Noah, African Americans and TV, Asian Americans and TV, Diversity, Indian-Americans and TV, Latinos and TV
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Friday 6/01/18 at 2:37PM EDT
Jimmy Fallon and Lin-Manuel Miranda celebrate their matching summer goatees on a boat
“Wow, that’s a pretty decent goat,” said The Tonight Show host, looking in the mirror. “Wish I had someone to share it with.”
Posted Monday 5/14/18 at 8:04PM EDT
Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Terry Crews: "NBC is bigger and better"
Brooklyn Nine-Nine cast members celebrated their Season 6 pickup at the NBC upfronts this morning. Terry Crews was particularly blown away to be on the Peacock network, telling E! Online: "I've never been on a network this big. NBC, this is the real deal. The checks are going to be amazing!" To which Andy Samberg said: "We're going to have to fact-check that." Crews added, in an interview with Variety: “I remember I went to sleep and I woke up and my phone was glowing and I was like 'What is this?! Oh my, NBC!.' First of all, NBC is bigger and better, it’s the perfect place for us. It’s kind of like out of the frying pan and into heaven, not into the fire but into heaven itself." Noting that Samberg is an SNL alum, Crews added that the move just "makes so much sense and we fit in with their comedies." He added: "We’re going to make so much money ya’ll, I’m trying to tell you. Makes you happy!” ALSO: Lin-Manuel Miranda hung out with the cast after helping push for revival.
Posted Thursday 5/10/18 at 9:39PM EDT
Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a comedy gift that woudn't have survived as long in another TV era
Source: The Washington Post
"I’m going to miss the series, which over its run probably gave me more pure pleasure than anything else airing concurrently anywhere on the dial," says Alyssa Rosenberg. "And I’m so grateful that we got as many episodes of it as we did." She points out that Brooklyn Nine-Nine wouldn't have made it to 112 episodes with its low ratings in another television era. Brooklyn Nine-Nine, she says, "was a model for what pop culture can do when it is committed to showcasing a wider range of characters and their stories." It was diverse in a unique way. There were two black cops, instead of one. Two Latina cops, instead of one. Two non-straight cops, instead of one. "None of those characters ever had to carry the weight of representing those entire communities," says Rosenberg. She adds: "While Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a comedy about cops, it approached the actual work of policing with seriousness and moral rigor. It was a task that might have doomed a lesser show, especially one that aired during a period when police killings of unarmed black Americans spurred a national movement. Brooklyn Nine-Nine tried to model what good policing could look like at a time when even that act of idealism sometimes seemed like a farce ... Brooklyn Nine-Nine was never solely an issue show, but its commitment to approaching policing from an ethical place was fundamental to its sense of decency, a quality which was itself fundamental to the series."
- Could Brooklyn Nine-Nine find a new home? Hulu is the most likely destination, followed by TBS (whose president developed the show)
- NBC and Netflix could also potentially revive Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- The Internet is losing its mind over the Brooklyn Nine-Nine cancellation
- Why the Internet freakout for a show averaging fewer than 2 million viewers?
- Is Tim Allen to blame? Fox's comedy bloodbath comes amid talk of a Last Man Standing revival
- Seth Meyers calls the cancelations of his former SNL colleagues' shows a "double gut punch"
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine co-creator Dan Goor tweets: "#brooklyn99 fans are the best fans in the world"
- Melissa Fumero: "These last 5 years have been incredible"
- Stephanie Beatriz: "What a gift this series has been: it’s been my honor. Your sadness is noted"
- Joe Lo Truglio: "I’m so very lucky, so deeply thankful to have been part of a show that has brought so much joy to so many"
- Lin-Manuel Miranda wants fans to fight for the show: "I ONLY WATCH LIKE 4 THINGS ... THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS"
- Mark Hamill: "Be forewarned @FOXTV-when networks dump shows I love, I'm known for holding grudges a long, L-O-N-G time"
- Backstreet Boys: "Thanks for the memories, #Brooklyn99"
- Sean Astin: "They earned the right 2 have a final season victory lap where I could emotionally prepare"
- Guillermo del Toro: "The world is better with this show in it. I love these characters and the healing good energy B99 brings"
# TOPICS: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, FOX, Hulu, TBS, Dan Goor, Guillermo del Toro, Joe Lo Truglio, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mark Hamill, Melissa Fumero, Sean Astin, Seth Meyers, Stephanie Beatriz, Tim Allen, Cancellations, Renewals & Pickups
Posted Saturday 4/14/18 at 12:07AM EDT
Lin-Manuel Miranda will make his DuckTales debut as part of the inaugural Duck Week
The Hamilton creator will first appear as Gizmoduck, aka Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera, on the May 11 episode, which will coincide with the first Duck Week. Miranda's character is described as "“Duckburg’s preeminent hero who has Latin roots" and a “brilliant young scientist."
Posted Wednesday 12/06/17 at 7:07PM EST
Lin-Manuel Miranda performs Hamilton in three minutes on Ellen
Miranda performed a condensed version of his Tony-winning musical with the help of a seven-year-old presidential historian.
Posted Monday 12/04/17 at 9:35PM EST
Why Curb Your Enthusiasm’s Season 9 finale was its most ambitious episode
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
“This season finale was probably the most ambitious thing we’ve ever done because we wrote it for somebody who didn’t know that we had written it for him,” says executive producer Jeff Schaffer, “who happened to be in London, and we needed to actually write parts of a musical. From a scheduling and production standpoint, it was ambitious. Larry and I are not musical theater people, that was ambitious. Aside from all of those logistics, we wanted it to be really funny. Also, guest cast-wise it was ambitious, with F. Murray Abraham, Nick Offerman, Casey Wilson and (Lin-Manuel Miranda). Everyone just delivered.”
Posted Thursday 11/30/17 at 6:27AM EST
Curb Your Enthusiasm wrote Lin-Manuel Miranda and Judge Judy into the show before checking in to see if they were available
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
“You think that the hard part is actually writing the shows, but then you realize that once you've written it, and you've written it for someone specific, that you then need that person,” says executive producer Jeff Schaffer. “Scheduling becomes the hardest thing, because he's one of the most sought-after people on the planet. Luckily, he's a fan of the show and was super excited to do it,” he adds of Miranda, who first met David when David did his Broadway show, A Fish in the Dark.
Posted Thursday 10/26/17 at 5:14PM EDT
Showtime teams with Lin-Manuel Miranda for The Kingkiller Chronicle TV series
Source: Entertainment Weekly
The Hamilton honcho will not only produce the TV adaptation of Patrick Rothfuss’ bestselling contemporary fantasy trilogy, he’ll compose music for it as well.
Posted Friday 10/06/17 at 4:37PM EDT
Stephen Colbert and Nick Kroll raise $1 million with their #PuberMe campaign
Source: The A.V. Club
Lin-Manuel Miranda visited The Late Show last night to put the fundraiser for Puerto Rico hurricane relief at the $1 million mark. Colbert launched the campaign using his Ben & Jerry's AmeriCone Dream Fund money, promising to pay $1,000 for every celebrity who showed off their awkward puberty photo. Kroll and his Big Mouth castmates kicked in $100,000. ALSO: President George H.W. Bush and wife Barbara Bush join #PuberMe campaign.