Mario BataliLatest News and Opinion
Posted Monday 12/10/18 at 3:21PM EST
Report: Mario Batali still profits from his restaurants one year after his sexual misconduct scandal
The former Food Network star said earlier this year he would divest from his restaurants and allow his partners to buy him out following his sexual misconduct scandal. But a Grubstreet report found that Batali's financial ties are still intact, even as his restaurant business B&B Hospitality has seen a 30% drop in profits.
Posted Thursday 8/23/18 at 10:35PM EDT
Mario Batali is now under investigation by the Boston Police Department, in addition to the NYPD
Natalie Tene, who is suing Batali for allegedly groping her while taking a selfie in a Boston bar, filed a complaint with the Boston Police in June. The Boston Police Department is now the second police department investigating the disgraced TV chef.
Posted Thursday 8/23/18 at 3:23PM EDT
Mario Batali sued by woman who accused him of groping her
Source: Eater NY
Natali Tene, who alleges that the disgraced TV chef groped her while they took a selfie at a Boston bar, is suing for assault and battery over the "dehumanizing" incident and is seeking damages for emotional distress.
Posted Monday 8/20/18 at 10:18PM EDT
New York state Attorney General is investigating Mario Batali's alleged sexual harassment at his friend's restaurant
Source: The New York Times
Three months after the NYPD said it was investigating the celebrity chef, the New York Attorney General's office issued a subpoena in its investigation of allegations of sexual harassment and workplace discrimination at the Spotted Pig, where Batali allegedly assaulted a woman in a so-called "rape room." The New York Times reports the subpoena "seeks video footage of Mr. Batali with female employees in the restaurant’s third-floor party room, as well as records of complaints related to sex harassment or discrimination based on employees’ gender or pregnancy."
Posted Wednesday 7/04/18 at 12:54AM EDT
What will happen to Mario Batali's books?
Even before Batali's sexual misconduct scandal, his books weren't selling a large number of copies. Now booksellers are debating whether Batali's books should remain on their shelves.
Posted Monday 6/11/18 at 9:19PM EDT
Anthony Bourdain overhauled TV's "Celebrity-Chef Industrial Complex" led by Mario Batali and Emeril Lagasse
"When Anthony Bourdain rose to fame in the early aughts, the celebrity-chef-industrial-complex was reaching its most bloated moment," says Sara Dickerman. "Food Network stars like Mario Batali, Bobby Flay, Wolfgang Puck, and Emeril Lagasse were seemingly everywhere at once, using their very familiar faces to launch countless restaurants, with which they had varying degrees of actual connection. Bourdain was different. Sure, he had been a chef, but a chef-for-hire, and not always a successful one." With A Cook's Tour, followed by No Reservations and Parts Unknown, Bourdain was able to change the relationship viewers had with TV chefs. "By valuing street food, improvised meals, and home cooking on the same plane as extraordinary restaurant meals, he helped viewers recognize that great dining didn’t need status signifiers," says Dickerman. "Rachael Ray and Guy Fieri would soon build their own brands on showing audiences how to enjoy lower-brow meals, too, but Bourdain always seemed to absorb more of the world around him: the lives and personalities of the people making the food, the clash of cultural histories. Even the sounds: he chose microphones that picked up more street noise than typical mics would. Bourdain understood that a huge part of what was interesting in the dining world was not going on in fine restaurants."
- Bourdain's No Reservations executive producer: "He didn’t suffer fools. He didn’t hold back barbs"
- "Bourdain was the best white man": He never treated non-western food as if he "discovered" it
- How Bourdain helped humanize the Muslim community
- Danny Trejo recalls filming Parts Unknown with Bourdain in L.A.: "When he walked in, it was like getting visited by the Pope"
- Andrew Zimmern recalls how Bourdain changed his approach to TV after calling it the "most vile mistress" 13 years ago
- Bourdain hadn't finalized his divorce from wife Ottavia Busia when he died
- Travel Channel will continue airing No Reservations episodes through July 3
# TOPICS: Anthony Bourdain, CNN, Food Network, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, A Cook's Tour, Travel Channel, Andrew Zimmern, Danny Trejo, Emeril Lagasse, Mario Batali
Posted Wednesday 5/30/18 at 9:55PM EDT
Mario Batali accused of sexual misconduct by seven more women -- fans accuse him of groping and inappropriate touching
Source: Eater NY
Eater, which broke the first sexual misconduct allegations against Batali last December, spoke to seven female fans of the disgraced celebrity chef, some of whom provided video and photographic evidence of his inappropriate behavior. Unlike the previous accusers who worked for Batali, these are fans alleging sexual misconduct. "Each of these women alleges that his inappropriate touching — including rubbing breasts, grabbing behinds, and forced, open mouthed kisses — occurred either at a bar or industry event, and in most cases shortly after, or while, they posed for photos with him," writes Eater's Irene Plagianos.
Posted Friday 5/25/18 at 7:45PM EDT
Mario Batali's three Las Vegas restaurants to close
Las Vegas Sands Corp.'s decision to cut ties with Batali comes days after 60 Minutes delved into his sexual harassment scandal.
Posted Wednesday 5/23/18 at 7:10PM EDT
Did ABC cancel The Chew over low ratings or the Mario Batali sexual harassment scandal?
Since Batali's ouster last December, the daytime show hasn't seen a sharp ratings drop in female viewership. In fact, the number of female viewers in the 18-49 demo has been slightly up, according to The Wrap. Still, according to Page Six, ABC saw significant overall viewership loss after Batali's exit. ALSO: The Chew stars Clinton Kelly, Michael Symon and Carla Hall react to cancelation.
Posted Wednesday 5/23/18 at 2:17PM EDT
ABC cancels The Chew, replacing it with an afternoon edition of Good Morning America
ABC has opted to axe the daytime talk show after seven seasons and expand GMA to three hours every weekday. The show made headlines earlier this season when it fired co-host Mario Batali after he was accused of sexual misconduct by several women.
Posted Monday 5/21/18 at 1:08PM EDT
Mario Batali dropped by his business partners following new sexual assault allegations
B&B Hospitality Group released a statement reacting to Sunday's 60 Minutes story on Batali, calling the new allegations "chilling and deeply disturbing."
Posted Monday 5/21/18 at 5:31AM EDT
Mario Batali reportedly under NYPD investigation for two separate sexual assault allegations
Source: CBS News
Anderson Cooper revealed at the end of his 60 Minutes story on Batali's sexual misconduct that the NYPD is investigating the former Food Network star for a sexual assault incident that allegedly took place at his New York City eatery The Spotted Pig in 2005. The accuser, a former Batali employee who appeared on 60 Minutes anonymously, said she joined Batali for a glass of wine, but she barely remembered what happened next. When she woke up in the morning, she says she found "deep scratches" on her leg and semen on her skirt. Meanwhile, TMZ reports the NYPD is investigating a second woman's allegation that Batali raped her in 2004 at Babbo, another of his New York City restaurants. TMZ reports the woman was a customer who went upstairs to use the bathroom at 2 a.m. The next thing she remembered is Batali allegedly on top of her. TMZ says the woman filed a police report in March of this year. Batali issued a statement to 60 Minutes denying the first allegation, saying: “I vehemently deny the allegation that I sexually assaulted this woman. My past behavior has been deeply inappropriate and I am sincerely remorseful for my actions. I am not attempting a professional comeback."
Posted Friday 5/18/18 at 11:54PM EDT
60 Minutes to tackle the Mario Batali sexual harassment scandal
Source: Eater NY
On Sunday's episode of the CBS News magazine, Anderson Cooper interviews those who were “sexually harassed or assaulted” at one of the restaurants Batali co-owned.
Posted Wednesday 5/16/18 at 5:46PM EDT
The Chew won't replace Mario Batali
Source: Us Weekly
Carla Hall says she still keeps in touch with former co-host Batali, who is "doing fine" since he was fired from the ABC daytime show last December. Asked about replacing him, she says it's "not in the plans."
Posted Friday 4/20/18 at 10:50PM EDT
The "redemption narrative" seems inevitable for the powerful men sidelined by sexual misconduct
The recent spate of stories on sexual abusers like Louis CK, Mario Batali and Matt Lauer potentially staging comebacks are all part of the redemption arc, says Stassa Edwards. "There’s a certain tick-tock already baked in the redemption story; a sense that there are correct steps done in a thoughtful order to restore temporarily suspended careers," she says. "The first is to admit wrongdoing and apologize. CK issued an apology, as did Batali (Batali’s, done through his newsletter, even included a recipe for cinnamon rolls). The second is evidence that a man has made some sort of effort to change. This is usually in the form of thinking or listening, perhaps even a kind of soul-searching." Edwards notes that these redemption narratives don't ask difficult questions, nor do they make difficult demands. "It’s revealing that such self-reflection never results in the conclusion that men who have spent careers harassing and bullying should not return to those careers," she says. "They never reach the conclusion that their past actions have permanently degraded their authority as cultural arbiters. It’s telling that they demand not just forgiveness but the continued public support that an actor or chef or journalist requires with giving so little in return. But then they would have to question the very 'self,' and its true capacity for reflection, they value so dearly. The work of making amends is messy and long; there is no room for such things in these swift and tidy narratives."
- Anthony Bourdain's #MeToo advice for Alec Baldwin: "Just shut up"
- It's like there's a quota for needlessly sympathetic stories about odious men
- Of course these men expect to re-enter their careers as if nothing ever happened
- Sean Penn dines with Charlie Rose after writing a poem defending defending him against sexual misconduct allegations