Mark BridgesLatest News and Opinion
Posted Monday 3/12/18 at 2:09PM EDT
Costume designer Mark Bridges has donated his jet ski for shortest Oscar speech to raise money for charity
Bridges, who won the Academy Award for Phantom Thread, is donating his jet ski to raise money for the Motion Picture & Television Fund.
Posted Monday 3/05/18 at 2:51PM EST
Why ABC shouldn't be too worried about the worst-ever Oscar ratings
Sure, the Oscar ratings freefall looks bad, particularly with early numbers predicting that viewership will fall below 30 million for the first time ever. But ABC should come out of this year's ceremony okay. "While ratings for Sunday night’s show will prompt a flurry of negative headlines, odds are they won’t make a huge difference to ABC’s bottom line," says Josef Adalian. "Consider: Even though the 2017 Academy Awards scored the second-smallest audience ever, the Alphabet network was able to charge about 10 percent more for ad time on this year’s show, according to reports in multiple TV-industry trades." As Adalian notes, ratings are down across television, so the lower Oscar ratings are part of a broad trend. "Why are advertisers paying more for fewer eyeballs?" asks Adalian. "Simple: With TV ratings down across the board — even the Super Bowl stumbled this year — it’s harder than ever to reach really big audiences all at once." He also points out that the Oscars are still a great way for ABC to promote its TV shows. "Even if only one or two of the new shows hyped last night get a boost from the Oscars advertising, it’ll be a big win for ABC," he says.
- UPDATE: 90th Oscars was the least-watched with 26.5 million viewers
- Should Tiffany Haddish and Maya Rudolph host next year's Oscars?
- Female presenter pairings were a meaningful highlight of the night
- What a difference a year makes: President Trump was barely name-checked last night
- Did Jimmy Kimmel's jet ski bit work?
- No one really tried to win that jet ski
- Police arrest man for allegedly stealing Frances McDormand's Oscar statue -- and posting a video!
- Chloe Kim invites McDormand snowboarding after Oscars shout-out
- Anna Faris on Mom co-star Allison Janney's victory: “Allison won!!! And I got to hold it!!!! It’s heavy as sh*t!!!”
- Mad Men cast reunited at an Oscar party
- Lake Havasu Visitor Center invites jet ski winner Mark Bridges on an all-expenses paid trip
- The Lonely Island released an Oscars-themed music video "claiming" it was supposed to be shown last night
- The Godfather actor Carmine Caridi -- the only person before Harvey Weinstein to be booted from the Academy -- was "flabbergasted" to hear his name: "I'm not mad at Jimmy. He did exonerate me in a way, by comparing the penalties"
# TOPICS: 90th Academy Awards, ABC, Mad Men, Allison Janney, Anna Faris, Carmine Caridi, Jimmy Kimmel, Mark Bridges, Maya Rudolph, Tiffany Haddish, Award Shows, The Lonely Island, Ratings, Trump Presidency