Mike FleissLatest News and Opinion
Posted Tuesday 7/10/18 at 12:09AM EDT
President Trump again used reality TV tropes to announce his U.S. Supreme Court pick
Like the Neil Gorsuch announcement in January 2017, President Trump used primetime to make his selection of Brett Kavanaugh look like a reality TV reveal. The White House even tweeted a reality-style teaser less than a half an hour before the announcement. It was as if the entire event was, as Lisa de Moraes describes it, a Survivor: SCOTUS primetime special -- one that disrupted real reality TV shows like The Bachelorette. Still, Trump's reality-style announcement didn't seem as controversial this time around. Back in January 2017, says de Moraes, "Trump’s decision to summon both men to Washington, and his primetime TV special reveal seemed to shock some TV news talking heads and Supreme Court scholars not familiar with reality-TV tropes. (A year and a half later), the same reality-TV treatment for his second pick barely raised eyebrows."
- Stephen Colbert, who taped earlier in the day, covered his mouth and used a voiceover to dub in the name "Brett Kavanaugh"
- Yes, Kavanaugh resembles Crashing's Pete Holmes
- Fox News anchor Shannon Bream canceled plans to broadcast live from U.S. Supreme Court steps due to "volatile" protests
- Report: Some White House staffers felt ex-Fox News exec/new Trump communications chief Bill Shine picked 9 p.m. to boost Sean Hannity's ratings
- The Bachelorette fans were annoyed by Trump's interruption, despite being forewarned by Chris Harrison
- Bachelor creator Mike Fleiss retweeted The Onion's take on Trump's disruption of The Bachelorette
# TOPICS: U.S. Supreme Court, Fox News Channel, The Bachelorette, Hannity, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Bill Shine, Brett Kavanaugh, Mike Fleiss, Neil Gorsuch, Pete Holmes, Shannon Bream, Stephen Colbert, Reality TV, Trump Presidency, White House
Posted Monday 6/25/18 at 6:54PM EDT
The Bachelor and The Proposal creator Mike Fleiss is "horrified" that "abusive a–holes are on our shows"
"For the record, I am horrified that any of these abusive a–holes are on our shows,” Fleiss said on Twitter of his recent Bachelorette and Proposal casting controversies. “We are working very hard to find ways to do better.” In a separate tweet, Fleiss reacted to the accusation that The Proposal contestant Michael J. Friday facilitated sexual assault, tweeting: "How are we supposed to find out about something that’s never been reported???"
Posted Friday 6/22/18 at 11:17AM EDT
ABC yanks Monday's The Proposal episode after contestant was accused of setting up a sexual assault
Michael J. Friday, who was scheduled to appear on the second episode of the new ABC reality show, "was accused by a Milwaukee, Wisconsin woman named Erica Denae Meshke of facilitating her sexual assault in early November," reports People magazine, adding: "Meshke wrote about her alleged experience in a public Facebook post on Thursday. Initially, she did not name Friday but shared a photo of male contestants from the show and writing one of them 'was directly responsible for my date rape.'" In response, ABC and Warner Horizon Productions released the following statement: “An allegation has been made against a contestant on next week’s episode of The Proposal. While the accusation was not related to the contestant’s appearance on the program, we take it very seriously." The Proposal is produced by Mike Fleiss, whose other current show The Bachelorette has been under scrutiny for its casting process after the revelation last week that contestant Lincoln Adim was convicted of indecent assault last month.
Posted Monday 6/18/18 at 8:27PM EDT
ABC's The Proposal is a "geyser of bad ideas" from the creator of The Bachelor
Source: The A.V. Club
The Jesse Palmer-hosted reality show, pr from Mike Fleiss, premiering Monday, is an "ill-considered step backward for human dignity," says Alex McLevy. In fact, it's very reminiscent of Fleiss' 2000 Fox reality TV disaster Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?, which nearly sank his career. "When the premiere episode of this new series began, it seemed there was no way ABC would be dumb enough to bring back the most appalling and cringeworthy elements of a roundly scorned TV special from nearly 20 years ago," says McLevy. "But as it turns out, ABC is exactly that dumb. The shudder-inducing concept is just what it sounds like: One man (or woman—progress!) introduces themselves via voice-over to the studio audience, then takes an assigned place behind a wall where they can’t be seen, to sit, like an especially empowered Peeping Tom, and watch as 10 contestants are paraded out to present themselves as potential spouses. "
Posted Tuesday 5/29/18 at 12:43PM EDT
ABC's The Proposal trailer reveals a reality show that's basically a Bachelor pageant
Source: TV Insider
The Jesse Palmer-hosted reality show from The Bachelor creator Mike Fleiss will allow the winners to "present a romantic proposal of their choice."
Posted Thursday 5/17/18 at 2:40PM EDT
Becca Kufrin's Bachelorette suitors revealed
The men vying for Becca's heart include a former Harlem Globetrotter, a banjoist, two former professional football players, a stuntman, a "social media participant" and a sports writer who analyzes football for a living. "When did they start letting nerds on #TheBachelorette?," tweeted the sports writer, Mike Renner of Pro Football Focus. (The Bachelor creator Mike Fleiss is a former sports journalist.) ALSO: Check out the cast photo.
Posted Tuesday 4/24/18 at 1:12PM EDT
ABC orders The Proposal dating reality show from The Bachelor creator, hosted by ex-Bachelor Jesse Palmer
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Ten eligible daters will compete in four pageant-style rounds for the heart of a mystery suitor (or suitress) on ABC's newest Mike Fleiss reality show. "I think Bachelor Nation is going to love it. It’s also great to welcome back a member of the Bachelor family, our host, Jesse Palmer," says Fleiss. Since starring on The Bachelor in 2004, Palmer has found great media success, landing a regular gig on ESPN and, for a time, on Good Morning America. ALSO: Fleiss also announced Bachelor in Paradise is returning this summer.
Posted Wednesday 4/04/18 at 1:15PM EDT
The Bachelor creator admits: Arie Luyendyk Jr "was one of our less popular Bachelors"
"I hate to be the first to say it, but I think Arie was one of our less popular Bachelors," Mike Fleiss tweeted this morning. Meanwhile, Arie and Lauren Burnham are said to be "heavily pushing" for a TV wedding by the end of the year.
Posted Wednesday 3/21/18 at 11:27PM EDT
The Bachelorette to feature some Bachelor alums
Bekah Martinez is among Arie's Bachelor stars spotted in a tweet Wednesday night from Bachelor creator Mike Fleiss.
Posted Friday 3/16/18 at 10:05AM EDT
Becca Kufrin's first night as The Bachelorette included a guy in a chicken suit
Source: E! Online
Creator Mike Fleiss spent last night tweeting photos of Becca, the limos and her bachelors.
Posted Tuesday 2/27/18 at 2:03PM EST
STDs are the top reason that Bachelor applicants are rejected from the show
Source: New York Post
An excerpt from Los Angeles Times writer Amy Kaufman's new book, Bachelor Nation: Inside the World of America’s Favorite Guilty Pleasure, delves into the search and screening for potential contestants. Potential contestants who become finalists for a spot on the show have to undergo a medical examination to test for drugs and sexually transmitted diseases. If they have an STD, they are immediately eliminated. "As soon as the medical tests came back, you’d see that herpes was the biggest thing,” said Ben Hatta, former personal assistant to Bachelor creator Mike Fleiss “And sometimes you’d be the first person to tell a contestant that they had herpes. You’d be like, ‘Uh, you should call your doctor.’ Why? ‘We’re not going to be able to have you on our show, but you should call your doctor.’"
- Jennifer Lawrence has a Bachelor spinoff idea: Breakup Island
- Why producers shouldn't allow Arie Luyendyk Jr. to fall in love with two women
- Arie: “I know people are going to be hard on (me.) I made a mistake. And I’m prepared for the backlash"
- Becca K. calls out Chris Harrison for tiny tent used as a "fantasy suite"
Posted Monday 2/12/18 at 8:22PM EST
The Bachelor Winter Games boss: "It was shocking" how hard it was to bring in international stars in Trump era
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
"We have outside counsel who helped us in the visa process — counsel that has also helped with other Warner Horizon Television shows in the past — and they were surprised at how difficult things were in 2018 compared to 2017," said co-showrunner Bennett Graebner. "It was shocking. I had a lot of sleepless nights wondering if certain people were going to get into the country. We had real trouble with Germany. There was one guy who was on the German version of The Bachelorette; he was smart and funny, good looking and charismatic, and he spoke English very well. He was also of Persian descent and his visa was denied immediately. That was really unfortunate. There was another guy from Germany who also had visa issues. We had a lot of trouble getting Jordan, the New Zealand Bachelor, into the country."
Posted Friday 1/26/18 at 1:32PM EST
The Bachelor creator found lower ratings for first black Bachelorette Rachel Lindsay “incredibly disturbing”: “It revealed something about our fans”
Source: The New York Times
“I found it incredibly disturbing in a Trumpish kind of way,” says Mike Fleiss. “How else are you going to explain the fact that she’s down in the ratings, when — black or white — she was an unbelievable bachelorette? It revealed something about our fans.” Speaking of President Trump, Fleiss said the current White House made it harder to bring in more Bachelor franchise stars from around the world for The Bachelor Winter Games because securing visas for them proved difficult. “Our president didn’t make things any easier,” says Fleiss. Eleven countries other than the United States will be represented.
Posted Sunday 1/07/18 at 3:33AM EST
Coach star Jerry Van Dyke dies at 86
Source: The New York Times
Van Dyke emerged from his older brother Dick Van Dyke’s shadow to earn four Emmy nominations for his role on the long-running ABC sitcom Coach. “Everybody talks about me making a comeback,” he told Entertainment Tonight in 1990, one year after Coach premiered. “I say: ‘Comeback from what? This is as good as it’s ever been.’” Van Dyke also played his brother’s brother on a two-part episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show. In recent years, Van Dyke appeared on eight episodes of The Middle, playing the father of Patricia Heaton’s character. “I am incredibly sad to hear of Jerry’s passing,” said Coach star Craig T. Nelson. “He was such a brilliant comedian and we had a great time working together on Coach. It is just devastating news.” Heaton tweeted: “Jerry, you were hilarious and terrifically talented - what an honor to be able to watch up close as you and your brother create your special magic.” And The Bachelor creator Mike Fleiss noted that he had “the pleasure of working with him on my very first TV show back in ‘93. What a kind man…”
Posted Tuesday 1/02/18 at 10:49PM EST
Arie Luyendyk Jr’s Bachelor season will reportedly pit younger women vs. older women
Source: Us Weekly
One bachelorette on the premiere episode didn’t reveal her age, but Us Weekly found out she’s 22, about 14 years younger than Arie. “The show hasn’t really tackled age in a way like it does this season,” a source tells Us, previewing the “drama” coming to the house. “It’s the younger women versus the older women.”
- Creator Mike Fleiss recalls developing The Bachelor — with a proposed 50 women
- What it’s like to audition for The Bachelor
- Revisiting Arie’s Bachelorette past
- Twitter had a lot of fun with four bachelorettes all named Lauren
- The Bachelorette’s Jef Holm bets $5,000 that Arie and his winner won’t last a year