Mindy KalingLatest News and Opinion
Posted Tuesday 6/19/18 at 5:37PM EDT
Mindy Kaling is coming to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Kaling tweeted a photo this morning of her reading a script from the FXX series.
Posted Monday 6/11/18 at 8:19AM EDT
Mindy Kaling delivered the commencement address at her alma mater Dartmouth
Kaling discussed everything from the challenges of single motherhood to the importance of buying a plunger in her 17-minute address to graduates. She also had a special message for the men in the audience: "When you go on dates, act as if every woman you're talking to is a reporter for an online publication that you are scared of. One shouldn't need the threat of public exposure and scorn to treat women well; but if that's what it's gonna take, fine. Date like everyone's watching, because we are."
Posted Wednesday 5/30/18 at 2:14PM EDT
Roseanne executive producer recalls the "shock" of learning of cancelation on the first day working on Season 2
Dave Caplan says "there was a lot of bittersweet hellos — and a couple hours later, a lot of very difficult goodbyes." He says the writing staff first learned about the cancelation via the media. "Everybody is still in shock at how quickly this all went down," he says. "It's unfortunate because the writers did pass on other jobs to take this job and nobody really knows yet what kind of compensation they're going to get. Everybody is a little bit on edge about how it's going to turn out. But we all know it's a wasted opportunity to write more episodes."
- ABC president apologizes to Roseanne's now-unemployed staff: "We're so sorry they were swept up in all of this and we give thanks to their remarkable talents, wish them well and hope to find another way to work together down the road."
- Roseanne Barr tweets "I’m not a racist. I never was & I never will be" before retweeting an anti-Valerie Jarrett Wikileaks document dump
- Dictionary searches for "racist" have skyrocketed in the past 24 hours
- Ambien maker responds to Roseanne's Ambien defense: "racism is not a known side effect"
- Mindy Kaling offers to "write things" for Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman
- Lena Dunham responds to Kaling's tweet, offering to do a spinoff "starring Darlene’s cool kids"
- Whoopi Goldberg slams Roseanne for retweeting a fake anti-Trump meme about her
- From Jackie to Darlene to Jackie and Darlene: Five ways Roseanne could return without Roseanne Barr
- Jimmy Kimmel imagines a Roseanne-less Roseanne show that focuses on Dan Conner
- Why Roseanne can't carry on without Roseanne Barr: She'll undermine the show with her tweeting
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus responds to Roseanne with an Instagram picture with "my pal" Valerie Jarrett
- Shonda Rhimes blasts Roseanne's Ambien defense, tells her to "#ownyouractions"
- Bill Maher -- who also was canceled by ABC amid controversy -- gets caught in the Roseanne cancelation crossfire
Posted Friday 5/25/18 at 10:33AM EDT
Seth Meyers reunites former Office colleagues Mindy Kaling and Ellie Kemper
Kaling and Kemper, who were booked on Late Night to promote separate projects (Ocean's 8 and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) back-to-back, reminisced about their Office past and their girl group Subtle Sexuality.
Posted Wednesday 5/02/18 at 1:17PM EDT
Hulu upfronts: Mindy Kaling takes shots at rivals Netflix and Amazon Prime
Hulu brought Kaling on stage at its upfronts presentation this morning to slam the streaming service's competitors. “Hulu doesn’t just drown you with 12 episodes of a show all at once, and then an Adam Sandler movie every other week," she said. "And Hulu also isn’t an add on to the website where you buy tampons and garden hoses.”
- Kaling's Four Weddings and a Funeral limited series gets a Hulu order
- Hulu will allow subscribers to download shows for offline viewing
- Hulu reaches 20 million subscribers
- Hulu orders Ramy, a comedy based on Egyptian-American Muslim comedian Ramy Youssef's life
- Castle Rock from J.J. Abrams and Stephen King gets a new trailer and a July 25 premiere date
- Hulu's Blumhouse TV horror anthology series, featuring Dermot Mulroney, will be called Into the Dark, with new episodes arriving the first Friday every month starting Oct. 5
Posted Wednesday 4/25/18 at 10:49PM EDT
Mindy Kaling on her admiration for Ken Burns: "I hope he never dies"
“I just finished The Vietnam War by Ken Burns,” she says. “Watching that documentary doesn’t really have a big overlap in writing romantic comedies, but it was just so amazing and I couldn’t believe we work in the same medium, and Ken Burns is just so incredible. I hope he never dies.”
Posted Friday 4/06/18 at 10:24PM EDT
Mindy Kaling had to adjust from writing for Mindy Lahiri to writing for a white guy on Champions
Kaling says of writing for Anders Holm: "Mindy Lahiri would say such crazy things and such questionable things, and when it comes from my mouth, when you’re a 5’3″ Indian American woman with dark skin, it has a very different impact than when it comes from a white man that’s 6’3″. The way that it looks on camera is very different — the level of privilege. How things come across is just completely different. I had to write things that were more palatable coming from his mouth." ALSO: Kaling responds to a meme comparing her and The Office's Kelly Kapoor.
Posted Friday 3/09/18 at 7:02AM EST
Mindy Kaling's Champions is a lot like The Mindy Project, except it's about a 15-year-old gay teen
The NBC comedy Kaling created with Mindy writer Charlie Grandy and The Mindy Project have "the same constant ticker of references and perky zingers, as well as similar personnel: Anders Holm and Fortune Feimster are both playing versions of their Mindy characters," says Margaret Lyons. "The main difference is that rather than centering on a pop-culture-obsessed, melodramatic 30-something doctor (Mindy), it’s centered on a pop-culture-obsessed, melodramatic 15-year-old gay kid (Michael). And it works."
- Champions is a show that fans of comedy and Kaling will find familiar, for good or bad
- Champions could be fantastic with some adjustment, but it's a bit too disjointed
- Basically every one of the teen's line of dialogue could be something Mindy on The Mindy Project could've said
- Here are the seven hallmarks of a Mindy Kaling show
Posted Saturday 3/03/18 at 1:25AM EST
Mindy Kaling has sought baby advice from James Corden, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey
"He has a baby who is my baby’s age," Kaling says of The Late Late Show host, who also has to juggle having a new baby with work. "I did his show a couple of weeks ago. He told me the best thing you can do for a baby is constantly talk to them, even if you feel like you’re babbling to them,” said Kaling. “Since he told me that, I’ve been talking to her so much."
Posted Wednesday 2/28/18 at 10:47PM EST
Talk Show the Game Show host Guy Branum to release his memoir
Mindy Kaling wrote the forward for Branum's book, My Life as a Goddess: A Memoir Through (Un)Popular Culture, which will tell the life story of the former Mindy Project writer, Chelsea Lately regular and Last Comic Standing alum. Branum's memoir will also recall the time the Secret Service searched his apartment after he wrote a satirical column for his college newspaper joking about murdering Stanford freshman Chelsea Clinton while also naming her dormitory.
Posted Wednesday 1/31/18 at 11:59PM EST
Watch Mindy Kaling in the trailer for NBC’s Champions
Kaling co-created and will recur on the comedy about a gym owner living with his idiot brother, who learns that he has a 15-year-old son with his high school girlfriend (played by Kaling).
Posted Tuesday 1/23/18 at 9:15PM EST
Rachel Morrison, the first-ever female Oscar nominee for best cinematography, honed her skills on The Hills
Posted Sunday 1/07/18 at 3:33AM EST
U.S. Army’s official Twitter account “liked” Mindy Kaling’s Office-themed tweet mocking President Trump
The Hill discovered that the U.S. Army liked Kaling's tweet of an image of Kelly Kapoor with the caption, "You guys, I’m like really smart now, you don't even know.” The tweet appeared to be mocking President Trump's tweet Saturday that “my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.” The U.S. Army later removed the "like" without comment. ALSO: The Mindy Project’s Fortune Feimster gets engaged, and Kaling will officiate at her wedding.
Posted Thursday 12/21/17 at 10:23PM EST
Mindy Kaling: “I’ve had a busy week!”
The Mindy Project star didn’t mention giving birth in an Instagram post today, but she did point out she’s throwing a “You’ve Got Mail Norah Ephron-themed holiday dinner” with “the young women that work with me.”
Posted Wednesday 12/20/17 at 10:03PM EST
Mindy Kaling paid tribute to her late mother with her newborn daughter’s middle name
Katherine Swati Kaling was named in honor of Swati Roysircar, who died in January 2012 due to complications of pancreatic cancer.