Modern FamilyLatest News and Opinion
Posted Tuesday 8/07/18 at 10:55PM EDT
ABC eyeing an 11th season of Modern Family, despite its creators wanting to end with Season 10
"Our plan is to end it at 10," co-creator Steven Levitan said earlier this year in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "If we can leave with most of our audience wanting more, I think that's the right way to do it. Never say never, but I just can't imagine that we'd go past that." ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said today at the TV press tour that ABC would be willing to go past 10 seasons. "I think that there is a sense that we all would like to do one more season if we can find a way for a deal that makes sense," she told Deadline. "This current season is the last season that we have the cast, so if we are to do another season there are more deals to be made and we are trying to work through all that.” According to Deadline, the "cast has been approached by the producers with an inquiry whether they would be open to another season, but there have been no formal talks." UPDATE: Co-creator Christopher Lloyd says "we are very open" to a Season 11.
Posted Tuesday 7/24/18 at 2:04PM EDT
Sofia Vergara: My Instagram was hacked
Hackers broke into the Modern Family star's Instagram to allegedly give away 1,000 free iPhone X's. “Guys my instagram got hacked," Vergara tweeted. "Dont ansewer those idiots. Dont send them any info.we r after them."
Posted Friday 7/13/18 at 11:36PM EDT
Outstanding comedy series is the most exciting Emmy race after domination from three shows in 11 years
From 2007 to 2017, only 30 Rock, Modern Family and Veep have won best comedy. This year will finally bring suspense to the category.
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Saturday 7/07/18 at 10:36AM EDT
Modern Family's Ariel Winter quits Twitter due to its negativity
Source: Us Weekly
"Ariel has taken a break from Twitter and engaging with commenters on her other platforms because of the constant negativity she experiences,” says her rep, adding that she's still posting on Instagram.
Posted Tuesday 6/26/18 at 1:55PM EDT
Sarah Hyland defends Modern Family sister Ariel Winter from "pervs" on Instagram
Source: Page Six
In response to inappropriate commenters to one of Winters' Instagram post, Hyland wrote: “To all the pervs commenting on this post? GET OFFLINE AND GET BACK TO YOUR BLOWUP DOLL YA CREEPS!”
Posted Tuesday 6/19/18 at 5:37PM EDT
Modern Family co-creator Steven Levitan revises statement after tweeting he'll cut ties with Fox over Fox News
Levitan tweeted that he is so upset by Fox News' "23-hour-a-day support of the NRA, conspiracy theories and Trump’s lies" that after Modern Family is done he'll be "setting up shop elsewhere" and leaving 20th Century Fox, his studio of two decades. In a statement to Deadline, Levitan clarified his comments, saying: “I have great respect and admiration for Dana Walden, Gary Newman, Peter Rice and everyone at 20th Century Fox TV studio who have all treated me so well for almost two decades. For now, I will take some time to see where these people land, and at that point I will make a decision about my future.” ALSO: Seth MacFarlane donates $2.5 million to NPR in response to Tucker Carlson's attack on the media.
Posted Tuesday 6/19/18 at 1:32PM EDT
Modern Family co-creator joins Seth MacFarlane in condemning Fox News after Laura Ingraham compared child detention centers to summer camps
Source: Entertainment Weekly
The Ingraham Angle host sparked new outrage against Fox News after saying last night that the detention centers are "essentially summer camps" for children separated from their families at the border. To which Modern Family co-creator Steven Levitan, whose show is produced by the 20 Century Fox, tweeted: "Let me officially join @SethMacFarlane in saying I’m disgusted to work at a company that has anything whatsoever to do with @FoxNews. This bullsh*t is the opposite of what #ModernFamily stands for." ALSO: Ahead of tonight's visit with Jimmy Fallon, Parkland activist David Hogg calls for an Ingraham advertiser boycott.
Posted Monday 6/11/18 at 8:19AM EDT
The Goldbergs and Modern Family actor Jackson Odell dies at 20
Odell was found unresponsive Friday at his San Fernando Valley home. No cause of death was revealed. Odell was a child star, acting since the age of 12 and appearing on one episode of Arrested Development, two episodes of Modern Family and recurring on The Goldbergs for eight episodes as Dana's older brother in the first two seasons
Posted Tuesday 5/01/18 at 11:02PM EDT
Next season could be the last for The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family and The Goldbergs
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
All three network comedies have multi-season renewal deals that expire at the end of the 2018-19 season. In The Big Bang Theory's case, according to The Hollywood Reporter, "WBTV and CBS have had some conversations about potentially continuing the series beyond season 12, which would require signing the stars to new mega-deals to return to the comedy from Steve Molaro and showrunner Steve Holland, though a decision could be made post-upfronts."
Posted Friday 3/23/18 at 9:54PM EDT
Modern Family's Ariel Winter is taking a break from UCLA to focus on her acting career
The 20-year-old Winter is taking a break after just starting at UCLA last fall. “I do love UCLA, but at the moment I’m taking a break from it so I can continue to pursue my career and also try to have a little bit more of a life because I’ve been so busy,” she says. ALSO: Sarah Hyland is frustrated with "doctors not listening" to her health struggles.
Posted Friday 3/16/18 at 3:07PM EDT
Netflix is No. 1 in showing TV characters smoking, led by Stranger Things
Season 1 of Stranger Things featured 182 incidents of tobacco use, while The Walking Dead came in at No. 2 with 94 scenes of characters using tobacco, according to a study from the antismoking group Truth Initiative. In total, Netflix had 319 "tobacco incidents," more than any cable or broadcast network. Netflix ranked third through sixth, with Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards, Fuller House and Making a Murderer each showing numerous scenes of tobacco use. The Truth Initiative also found 20 instances of tobacco use on Modern Family. Fuller House was the only show on the list that's rated TV-Y7, for kids as young as age 7.
Posted Wednesday 3/07/18 at 1:41PM EST
Modern Family cast members film a video supporting Parkland high school students and slamming the NRA
Source: USA Today
Watch the video the cast made to promote March For Our Lives on March 24.
Posted Saturday 3/03/18 at 1:25AM EST
Check out the Black Panther cast's previous "embarrassing" roles
Winston Duke was on Modern Family, Danai Gurira appeared on on American Experience: Dolley Madison and Michael B. Jordan was a regular on All My Children.
Posted Tuesday 2/13/18 at 7:30PM EST
Before winning the gold medal, Red Gerard overslept after binging on Brooklyn Nine-Nine