Stephanie BeatrizLatest News and Opinion
Posted Monday 10/08/18 at 12:57PM EDT
Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Stephanie Beatriz weds
Source: Us Weekly
Some of Beatriz's co-stars and Emmy Rossum were among the attendees at her wedding Saturday to fiancé Brad Hoss.
Posted Friday 7/13/18 at 11:36PM EDT
Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz bemoan the lack of Latino Emmy nominees in major categories
Fumero and Beatriz reacted to the Emmy nominations on the set of One Day at a Time, where showrunner Gloria Calderon Kellett also mourned the lack of a nomination. "Latinos are doing beautiful work in TV right now and our visibility and our campaigns can’t compete with dominant culture shows so we are excluded from the conversation … for now," said Kellett. "I’m committed to telling these stories of other until we are no longer otherized.” Fumero said of the lack of Emmy recognition for Once Day at a Time: "Take away all the importance of showing Latino culture and everything for representation. They’re just doing amazing, hysterical, and also poignant, heartfelt performances on this show that are just as good as any of those women that were nominated. I don’t get it. I don’t know if it’s that our shows don’t get marketed enough."
Posted Tuesday 7/10/18 at 5:16PM EDT
Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz are headed to One Day at a Time
Fumero announced the news on Twitter: "Guess who’s coming to hang with the Alvarez family!?!! @iamstephbeatz & I are guest starring on @OneDayAtATime Season 3!!!!!!!" Executive producer Gloria Calderon Kellett added on Instagram: "That’s right! The @brooklyn99fox ladies are in the casa!! Over the moon to welcome @iamstephbeatz & @melissafumero to the Alvarez familia!! It’s gonna be an epic episode!!"
Posted Thursday 5/24/18 at 4:10AM EDT
Check out a timeline of Stephanie Beatriz's Brooklyn Nine-Nine courtship with Gina Rodriguez
Beatriz has known the Jane the Virgin star since 2008, when they worked together on the never-released short film Super Chica.
Posted Tuesday 5/22/18 at 6:12AM EDT
Stephanie Beatriz discusses how her own bisexuality informed Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Rosa
Did she always play Rosa as queer? "I’ve always thought that if you were to ask Rosa, she would say, 'Yeah, I date whoever I want,' but that is not something she would ever discuss with anyone at work, because she’s Rosa," she says. "She’s not going to talk about her personal life." Beatriz also recounts how co-creator Dan Goor asked if she'd like to do a storyline about Rosa coming out as bisexual and her role in developing the story with the writers.
Posted Thursday 5/10/18 at 9:39PM EDT
Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a comedy gift that woudn't have survived as long in another TV era
Source: The Washington Post
"I’m going to miss the series, which over its run probably gave me more pure pleasure than anything else airing concurrently anywhere on the dial," says Alyssa Rosenberg. "And I’m so grateful that we got as many episodes of it as we did." She points out that Brooklyn Nine-Nine wouldn't have made it to 112 episodes with its low ratings in another television era. Brooklyn Nine-Nine, she says, "was a model for what pop culture can do when it is committed to showcasing a wider range of characters and their stories." It was diverse in a unique way. There were two black cops, instead of one. Two Latina cops, instead of one. Two non-straight cops, instead of one. "None of those characters ever had to carry the weight of representing those entire communities," says Rosenberg. She adds: "While Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a comedy about cops, it approached the actual work of policing with seriousness and moral rigor. It was a task that might have doomed a lesser show, especially one that aired during a period when police killings of unarmed black Americans spurred a national movement. Brooklyn Nine-Nine tried to model what good policing could look like at a time when even that act of idealism sometimes seemed like a farce ... Brooklyn Nine-Nine was never solely an issue show, but its commitment to approaching policing from an ethical place was fundamental to its sense of decency, a quality which was itself fundamental to the series."
- Could Brooklyn Nine-Nine find a new home? Hulu is the most likely destination, followed by TBS (whose president developed the show)
- NBC and Netflix could also potentially revive Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- The Internet is losing its mind over the Brooklyn Nine-Nine cancellation
- Why the Internet freakout for a show averaging fewer than 2 million viewers?
- Is Tim Allen to blame? Fox's comedy bloodbath comes amid talk of a Last Man Standing revival
- Seth Meyers calls the cancelations of his former SNL colleagues' shows a "double gut punch"
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine co-creator Dan Goor tweets: "#brooklyn99 fans are the best fans in the world"
- Melissa Fumero: "These last 5 years have been incredible"
- Stephanie Beatriz: "What a gift this series has been: it’s been my honor. Your sadness is noted"
- Joe Lo Truglio: "I’m so very lucky, so deeply thankful to have been part of a show that has brought so much joy to so many"
- Lin-Manuel Miranda wants fans to fight for the show: "I ONLY WATCH LIKE 4 THINGS ... THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS"
- Mark Hamill: "Be forewarned @FOXTV-when networks dump shows I love, I'm known for holding grudges a long, L-O-N-G time"
- Backstreet Boys: "Thanks for the memories, #Brooklyn99"
- Sean Astin: "They earned the right 2 have a final season victory lap where I could emotionally prepare"
- Guillermo del Toro: "The world is better with this show in it. I love these characters and the healing good energy B99 brings"
# TOPICS: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, FOX, Hulu, TBS, Dan Goor, Guillermo del Toro, Joe Lo Truglio, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mark Hamill, Melissa Fumero, Sean Astin, Seth Meyers, Stephanie Beatriz, Tim Allen, Cancellations, Renewals & Pickups
Posted Wednesday 2/28/18 at 10:47PM EST
Gina Rodriguez is visiting Brooklyn Nine-Nine
The Jane the Virgin star will reportedly play a character who romances Detective Rosa Diaz -- something that Stephanie Beatriz had wanted to make happen.
Posted Wednesday 12/06/17 at 2:18PM EST
Stephanie Beatriz discusses her Brooklyn Nine-Nine revelation
Source: Entertainment Weekly
“For me, as an actress, I’ve always felt something there,” she says. “But for the writers, that’s something they’ve discovered organically over the last four seasons.”