The ChewLatest News and Opinion
Posted Thursday 5/24/18 at 7:14PM EDT
The Chew hosts get emotional on-air in addressing the show's cancelation
Clinton Kelly, Michael Symon and Carla Hall addressed the elephant in the room at the start of today's show. “The mood is a little sad around here to be honest with you,” said Kelly. “There is a lot of people who work really hard on this show and really believe in this show and we’re all going to miss this show very, very much. We’re not going to talk about any trending topics today or hammer home the theme but we thought we’d spend the first segment of the show talking about our feelings.”
Posted Wednesday 5/23/18 at 7:10PM EDT
Did ABC cancel The Chew over low ratings or the Mario Batali sexual harassment scandal?
Since Batali's ouster last December, the daytime show hasn't seen a sharp ratings drop in female viewership. In fact, the number of female viewers in the 18-49 demo has been slightly up, according to The Wrap. Still, according to Page Six, ABC saw significant overall viewership loss after Batali's exit. ALSO: The Chew stars Clinton Kelly, Michael Symon and Carla Hall react to cancelation.
Posted Wednesday 5/23/18 at 2:17PM EDT
ABC cancels The Chew, replacing it with an afternoon edition of Good Morning America
ABC has opted to axe the daytime talk show after seven seasons and expand GMA to three hours every weekday. The show made headlines earlier this season when it fired co-host Mario Batali after he was accused of sexual misconduct by several women.
Posted Wednesday 5/16/18 at 5:46PM EDT
The Chew won't replace Mario Batali
Carla Hall says she still keeps in touch with former co-host Batali, who is "doing fine" since he was fired from the ABC daytime show last December. Asked about replacing him, she says it's "not in the plans."
Posted Monday 4/02/18 at 2:55PM EDT
Mario Batali is reportedly "eyeing his second act" four months after his sexual harassment scandal
The former Food Network and The Chew star has been sidelined since being accused of sexual harassment by several women in early December. But The New York Times reports that Batali has been talking to friends about whether he can make a comeback, at least in some capacity. "Mr. Batali, who has never been known for his patience, is asking that question — actively exploring when or whether he should begin his," reports The Times' Kim Severson. "Friends and associates say he is floating ideas, pondering timelines and examining whether there is a way for him to step back into his career, at least in some fashion." Severson, whom Batali turned down for an interview, also reports: "Mr. Batali is examining what he has called his blind spots and considering how life might look when he is not, as he told one person he consulted over the winter, 'the lead singer.' He told a colleague that he is simply trying to learn to be the wallpaper in the room and not the room itself. Nonetheless, Mr. Batali has sketched several scenarios that put him in the driver’s seat but cede some control, people he has spoken with recently say. One is creating a new company led by a powerful woman chief executive."
Posted Friday 12/15/17 at 10:35PM EST
Mario Batali incorporated a recipe for pizza dough cinnamon rolls into his apology to fans for sexual harassment
The disgraced TV chef began his weekly newsletter, which was sent out Friday, with an apology for his sexual misconduct. “As many of you know, this week there has been some news coverage about some of my past behavior,” Batali wrote. “I have made many mistakes and I am so very sorry that I have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team. My behavior was wrong and I take full responsibility." As Buzzfeed notes, the very brief newsletter takes an unexpected turn at the end, when Batali writes: "ps. in case you're searching for a holiday-inspired breakfast, these Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls are a fan favorite."
Posted Thursday 12/14/17 at 10:03PM EST
Mario Batali officially fired from The Chew amid sexual harassment allegations
“Upon completing its review into the allegations made against Mario Batali, ABC has terminated its relationship with him and he will no longer appear on The Chew,” ABC said in a statement Thursday. “While we remain unaware of any type of inappropriate behavior involving him and anyone affiliated with our show, ABC takes matters like this very seriously as we are committed to a safe work environment and his past behavior violates our standards of conduct.” ALSO: “Batali has always in a sense been selling sex.”
Posted Wednesday 12/13/17 at 9:29PM EST
ABC pulls The Great American Baking Show after multiple sexual harassment and abuse allegations against judge Johnny Iuzzini
A Mic report accusing Iuzzini of sexual harassment and abuse of four former employees came out two weeks ago, on Nov. 29. Yet ABC waited until today, a day after four more women came forward with similar allegations, to yank the reality show from its schedule. This is the second time this week that ABC has had to deal with a celebrity chef accused of sexual misconduct, following the suspension of Mario Batali from The Chew. "In light of allegations that recently came to our attention, ABC has ended its relationship with Johnny Iuzzini and will not be airing the remainder of The Great American Baking Show episodes," said an ABC spokesperson. "ABC takes matters such as those described in the allegations very seriously and has come to the conclusion that they violate our standards of conduct. This season’s winner will be announced at a later date."
Posted Tuesday 12/12/17 at 5:50PM EST
Ex-Mario Batali employee recounts being sexually assaulted, prompting a new apology from the celebrity chef
The Washington Post offers new allegations against the celebrity chef, detailing a Vanity Fair party at his buzzy Los Angeles restaurant Osteria Mozza, a popular restaurant among celebrities. The Post quotes Holly Gunderson, a special events director at the restaurant, who says Batali grabbed her in the crotch, putting his hand “between my legs, up and under, so his hand went on my vagina outside of my clothes. And then he moved his hand backward. So, you know, under my butt. And then continued walking.” In a statement to The Post, Batali said: “I apologize profoundly to the people I have mistreated and hurt. The entire day of events surrounding the party I was the personification of idiocy, a drunken and idiotic fool, with no respect for the staff at Osteria Mozza, the guests nor for the restaurant itself. That behavior was horribly wrong, shameful and degrading and there are no excuses. I wish I could have the day back and do it right. I take full responsibility for my deplorable actions and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or anguish I caused.”
- Batali may have sexually assaulted a woman in a retaurant’s private room dubbed “the rape room,” according to The New York Times
- The Chew reacts to Mario Batali’s sexual misconduct allegations
- Food Network freezes plans for brand-new Molto Mario episodes
- Products bearing Batali’s name pulled from New York City’s Eataly
- Online petition calls for Target to drop Batali’s product line
- Giada De Laurentiis: “It’s time for a cleansing”
Posted Monday 12/11/17 at 4:07PM EST
Mario Batali spoke out against sexual harassment just last month: “The dinosaurs are going to slowly die off, and the quicker it happens the better it is”
“You’d be surprised at how few people recognize the tell-tale signs” of harassment, the accused sexual harasser said at an event in November, adding that “you can’t have people be deterred from a workplace, like in hospitality, because they were frightened, or intimidated, or disgusted by something that was in the kitchen.” Batali added that “the best way is to just make sure there is no tolerance for any bulls–t in any workplace that you’re associated with. Zero.”
Posted Monday 12/11/17 at 9:04AM EST
Four women accuse Mario Batali of sexual harassment, prompting him to step away from ABC’s The Chew
The Chew co-host and Food Network personality has been accused by four women of inappropriately touching that has spanned at least two decades, according to an Eater New York exposé. The allegations range from Batali rubbing a woman’s breasts without permission to repeatedly grabbing a woman from behind. “Batali was reprimanded for inappropriate behavior in the workplace as recently as two months ago,” Eater reports. In response, an ABC spokesperson said it has asked Batali to step away from The Chew “while we review the allegations that have just recently come to our attention.” Batali responded to the allegations with a statement saying: “I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.”
- Anthony Bourdain hinted at the news on Sunday night, tweeting: "No. Trust me. Monday is really gonna suck... It’s where you stand when the people you care about and admire do awful things that matters. Keeping head down and hoping it goes away? No." After Eater published its story Monday morning, Bourdain tweeted. "It’s Batali. And it’s bad ."
Posted Friday 11/17/17 at 7:14AM EST
Clinton Kelly is baffled that former What Not to Wear co-star Stacy London has blocked him on Twitter
The Chew co-host says “I’ve got nothing” on why London has blocked him on Twitter. “It seems juicy but it really wasn't that juicy," Clinton said on Thursday’s The Chew. "The tea is there ain't no tea. I literally don't know whether she blocked me yesterday or a year ago or a month ago or by accident. Well, she could've unblocked me which she hasn't."