The DeuceLatest News and Opinion
Posted Monday 8/06/18 at 2:50PM EDT
HBO's The Deuce Season 2 teaser features James Franco
Franco's identical twin brother characters are featured in the first glimpse of the second season following the actor's sexual misconduct scandal.
Posted Wednesday 7/25/18 at 1:49PM EDT
HBO "felt comfortable" proceeding with The Deuce Season 2 after reviewing the James Franco sexual misconduct allegations
“When the Franco issue came up, we talked internally,” Bloys told reporters at the Television Critics Association press tour. “We read the LA Times article. We talked to the executive producers, to Maggie (Gyllenhaal) the actors and actresses on the set. We all felt comfortable moving forward with the second season.” Bloys said HBO takes sexual misconduct allegations seriously, pointing to his network's decision to cut ties with Mark Halperin and Russell Simmons following their sexual misconduct scandals.
Posted Monday 7/09/18 at 1:29PM EDT
James Franco is conspicuously missing from HBO's The Deuce premiere date announcement
HBO tweeted the first promo pic of Season 2, announcing that the 1970s-set David Simon New York City porn drama will return on Sept. 9. But Franco, who was accused of sexual misconduct earlier this year, is nowhere to be found in the image accompanying the announcement. Instead, the promo shows Maggie Gyllenhaal. According to TVLine, "HBO declined to comment, but a source for the cabler tells TVLine that the image accompanying the announcement is merely one of several Season 2 photos set to be released. The insider also stressed that the picture is not the official key art."
Posted Wednesday 6/20/18 at 1:32PM EDT
The Sopranos star James Gandolfini died five years ago: His actor son pays tribute
Michael Gandolfini was celebrating his junior high graduation with his dad in Rome on June 19, 2013 when the elder Gandolfini died of a heart attack in a hotel room. "5 years without your hugs, your laugh, and you smile. I miss you, but today is not about me," Michael wrote on Instagram on Tuesday. "As much as I hate that you’re gone, it in face was your time. And today I celebrate you and your life. I love you dad, miss you." Michael Gandolfini is now a student at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts. He also has gotten into acting, playing a busboy on Ocean's Eight and appearing in at least three episodes of HBO's The Deuce.
Posted Friday 6/08/18 at 2:52PM EDT
The Wire creator David Simon slams Twitter for blocking him from his account
The Deuce co-creator got in heated exchanges with Twitter users earlier this week, resulting in him being placed in Twitter's penalty box. On his blog, Simon wrote that Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey should "die of boils," adding: "As far as I’m concerned, your standards in this instance are exactly indicative of why social media — and Twitter specifically — is complicit in transforming our national agora into a haven for lies, disinformation and the politics of totalitarian extremity. The real profanity and disease on the internet is untouched, while you police decorum.”
Posted Thursday 5/24/18 at 4:10AM EDT
Maggie Gyllenhaal fought to get The Deuce to film a masturbation scene that was eventually cut
Source: The Muse
When she found out the scene was cut, Gyllenhaal wrote a lengthy email to her fellow producers, asking: "Where is the orgasm?"
Posted Tuesday 5/22/18 at 10:30PM EDT
Maggie Gyllenhaal got tired of doing her sex scenes on The Deuce
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
“There’s so much transactional sex,” she said of her Season 1 experience at the Vulture Festival. “I was a part of so many scenes where I would like, meet an actor who had one scene, we would have a sex scene together, and then they would leave and that would be it. And it felt very much like what Candy’s doing, it was like a transaction and then you’re on to the next thing…. I did get a little tired of it by the end of The Deuce to be completely honest. And I think part of that is how Candy felt. By the end of The Deuce, she was like, ‘I’m f*cking over it.’”
Posted Tuesday 4/10/18 at 7:15PM EDT
James Franco's Hollywood Walk of Fame star defaced
Somebody wrote "Douche" in red marker over Franco's Walk of Fame star for Franco. The Deuce star was accused in January of multiple instances of sexual harassment.
Posted Tuesday 3/06/18 at 7:31AM EST
James Franco spotted filming The Deuce
Source: The Blast
Franco was seen filming Season 2 of his HBO series on Monday after opting not to attend the Oscars. Even though Franco wasn't personally up for an Academy Award, the screenplay for The Disaster Artist was, losing to Call Me By Your Name.
Posted Tuesday 2/13/18 at 1:51PM EST
The Deuce has no Plan B: Writing staff is working on Season 2 scripts with James Franco's characters integral to the plot
Despite lingering sexual misconduct allegations against Franco, Variety's Cynthia Littleton reports that the HBO drama is set to begin filming Season 2 in a few weeks with the actor still on board as the star and executive producer. "At present," Littleton reports, "The Deuce writing staff is at work on scripts for the second season in which Franco’s characters of Frankie and Vincent Martino are integral to the plot. A source close to the situation said there was no alternate plan for storylines should Franco be forced out." In January it was reported that HBO was taking a "wait-and-see" approach with regard to Franco's future with the show.
Posted Monday 2/12/18 at 6:58AM EST
The Deuce writer: James Franco "of course" will be part of Season 2
At Sunday's Writers Guild Awards, Deuce writer Megan Abbott was asked about Franco's status in wake of his sexual misconduct scandal.
Posted Saturday 1/13/18 at 12:37AM EST
The James Franco allegations show the BS actresses have to deal with to make it
The Los Angeles Times story in which five women accused Franco of “inappropriate or sexually exploitative behavior” while he was their acting teacher or mentor, shows just how vulnerable young actresses without any clout are, and how they're often treated as disposable, says Adam Epstein. “In addition to highlighting how cruelly difficult being a young actress can be,” he says, “the accusations reveal how abuse in Hollywood takes many forms, including some that are disguised as ‘art.’”
Posted Thursday 1/11/18 at 8:13PM EST
HBO is reportedly taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to the James Franco allegations
HBO executives woudn’t comment today beyond David Simon’s statement about having no issues with The Deuce star, according to Variety. “Sources said executives are closely watching the response to the (Los Angeles) Times’ report,” says Variety. “Franco’s future on the show likely hinges on whether more victims come forward with allegations of work-related misconduct.” ALSO: Franco won a Critics' Choice Award Thursday night, but didn't show up to the ceremony.
Posted Thursday 1/11/18 at 2:57PM EST
The Deuce’s David Simon: We had no problems with James Franco
“I’m still reading it the same as everyone else, trying to discern what is or isn’t there,” The Deuce co-creator said in a statement. “Personally I can only speak knowledgeably to The Deuce. I’ve checked with all my fellow producers and other personnel. We have no complainant or complaint or any awareness of any incident of concern involving Mr. Franco. Nor has HBO been approached with any complaint. In our experience, he was entirely professional as an actor, director, and producer.”
Posted Thursday 1/11/18 at 9:34AM EST
James Franco accused by five women of “inappropriate and sexually exploitative behavior”
Source: Los Angeles Times
The Los Angeles Times spoke to five women about Franco’s alleged sexual misconduct, including those who raised the allegations on Twitter following the actor’s Golden Globe win for The Disaster Artist on Sunday night. Four of the five women were Franco’s students, with the other saying he served as her mentor. Some said they felt that Franco abused his power dynamic with them, believing that he could offer career advancement by acquiescing to his wishes. Sarah Tither-Kaplan, one of the women who tweeted about Franco, said that she and other actresses appeared fully nude in an orgy scene. But she was shocked when he removed protective plastic guards covering her and other actresses’ vaginas while simulating oral sex on them. “I feel there was an abuse of power, and there was a culture of exploiting non-celebrity women, and a culture of women being replaceable,” said Tither-Kaplan. Franco’s attorney, Michael Plonsker, disputed all of the women’s allegations and directed The Times to Franco’s comments on Tuesday's The Late Show. Plonsker added that “the allegations about the protective guards are not accurate.”
ALSO: Seth Meyers gave Franco another late-night grilling on Wednesday night: “Does this Time’s Up movement and this moment we’re having right now, does it make you look back at all and question any of your behavior in the past based on this new perspective we’re getting on how women have perceived things for so long?” asked Meyers. Franco responded: “I have my own side of this story, but I believe in, you know, these people that have been underrepresented getting their stories out enough that I will, you know, hold back things that I could say just because I believe in it that much. And if I have to take a knock because I’m not going to, you know, try and, you know, actively refute things, then I will, because I believe in it that much.”