The Late Late Show with James CordenLatest News and Opinion
Posted Monday 8/20/18 at 10:18PM EDT
James Corden's "Carpool Karaoke" has gone from a breath of fresh air to tired and formulaic
The recurring Late Late Show segment still gets many millions of views on YouTube while occasionally pulling off memorable moments like the recent "Carpool Karaoke" involving Paul McCartney. But the McCartney segment, which was expanded for a primetime special tonight on CBS, points to one of "Carpool Karaoke's" main flaws: all the memorable stuff happened outside the car. "The problem here is not McCartney, or even Corden (although he remains a divisive figure in some circles): rather, evidence suggests the 'Carpool Karaoke' format has lost its distinctiveness amid intense repetition, and renewed competition from the rest of late night," says Myles McNutt. "What once felt like a spontaneous and intimate encounter with a celebrity has become, over the course of 40 installments, a plug-and-play series of bits that feels like it’s exhausted its cultural moment a mere three years after its introduction." McNutt says. "Carpool Karaoke's" inability to surprise anymore could be seen in last week's Ariana Grande segment that recycled a moment from Grande's appearance with Seth MacFarlane on Apple's Carpool Karaoke: The Series. "Whereas Corden’s harmonies and other vocal achievements were once unexpected, they’re now built into the formula," says McNutt. "It no longer feels like an individual artist is going to impact what happens in the car on 'Carpool Karaoke.' It’s now about how the show’s producers filter that artist through the predetermined formula, and how the artist’s management wants them to appear within those limitations."
Posted Friday 8/17/18 at 1:55PM EDT
Matt Smith's advice to his successor on The Crown: Make sure you have equal pay
Smith alluded to the unequal pay controversy between him and co-star Claire Fox during a visit to James Corden's Late Late Show. Asked if he had any advice for Tobias Menzies, the new Prince Philip, Smith said: "God, make sure they pay you enough … and make sure it's even." ALSO: Terry Crews and Smith turn The Crown into a CBS cop show.
Posted Wednesday 8/15/18 at 2:13PM EDT
James Corden takes Paul McCartney on a tour of his Late Late Show offices
Watch The Beatles legend look unimpressed as they promote their upcoming CBS "Carpool Karaoke" primetime special.
Posted Wednesday 8/08/18 at 12:22PM EDT
James Corden: Kanye West has canceled "Carpool Karaoke" filming "twice, maybe even three times"
The Late Late Show host discussed the rapper with West's mother-in-law, Kris Jenner, during a game of “Spill Your Guts or Fill Your Guts." "He canceled once as I was turning the corner to his house," Corden said. "I was in a car and by the time the call finished, I was outside his house, and they were like, ‘He’s not in the zone for it right now. We’ll do it another time.'" West's last-minute change of plans cost The Late Show $45,000.
Posted Tuesday 8/07/18 at 10:55PM EDT
Ariana Grande suffered an injury while filming "Carpool Karaoke"
The singer posted an image of her bandaged hand in her Instagram stories without detailing her injury. "Well Mr. Corden, today is off to a wild start," she said.
Posted Tuesday 8/07/18 at 2:27PM EDT
CBS is expanding Paul McCartney's "Carpool Karaoke" segment for a primetime special
Carpool Karaoke: When Corden Met McCartney Live From Liverpool will air on Monday, Aug. 20 at 8 p.m., featuring never-before-seen footage that wasn't shown in James Corden's already-long 24-minute segment. "After the shoot, while we sat in the edit, we had to cut so much we loved for time," says Late Late Show executive producer Ben Winston. "Not only did Paul do a concert in that Liverpool pub, but James and he discussed so much in the car. We are so delighted CBS has given us this primetime special to make an hour-long version of this ‘Carpool Karaoke.’ Now everyone can see the joy of that concert and more of their chat.” ALSO: Ariana Grande is next up for a "Carpool Karaoke" segment.
Posted Friday 7/27/18 at 1:14PM EDT
Tom Cruise forces James Corden to skydive
Source: The A.V. Club
The Late Late Show host looked genuinely terrified participating in the stunt to help promote Mission: Impossible — Fallout.
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Wednesday 6/27/18 at 9:42PM EDT
James Corden beat Seth Meyers for the first time in a year
The Late Late Show drew more viewers last week thanks to Corden's second London trip. In fact, the last time Corden topped Late Night with Seth Meyers was during the week of last year's London trip.
Posted Friday 6/22/18 at 11:17AM EDT
Sophie Turner: My new Game of Thrones tattoo is not a spoiler
Source: Entertainment Weekly
“It’s just a quote from last season,” Turner told James Corden on The Late Late Show in London. “Everyone figures that the pack really does survive, but it’s just a moral that I like to live by.”
Posted Friday 6/22/18 at 11:17AM EDT
James Corden's "Carpool Karaoke" with Paul McCartney was an emotional journey
The Late Late Show host teared up during the special segment that on YouTube runs nearly 24 minutes. "Ok, so here it is," tweeted Corden. "Quite possibly the best #CarpoolKaraoke we’ve done so far. I hope you like it. I’ll never ever forget it. Take a breath and jump in."
Posted Thursday 6/21/18 at 1:11PM EDT
Dave Grohl: James Corden sent me an angry text after I called the "Carpool Karaoke" experience "a little uncomfortable"
Source: The Sun
Last fall, Grohl and his fellow Foo Fighters bandmates revealed how grueling the "Carpool Karaoke" process is, with guitarist Pat Smear saying, "by hour three in dude’s car it got less fun." Grohl tells The Sun he got an angry text from The Late Late Show host soon after the band's comments were published. “I got a f*cking text from him that morning. He was like, ‘What the f*ck, dude?'" said Grohl. “I was like, ‘Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!’" Grohl said he told Corden, "What we were trying to say was it was uncomfortable to sit in a car and try to sing our own songs... we felt weird about it."
Posted Wednesday 6/20/18 at 1:32PM EDT
James Corden gets Cher to eat cow tongue rather than say something nice about President Trump
The pop icon was part of Tuesday's Late Late Show in London, where she played “Spill Your Guts." ALSO: Tuesday's episode marked Corden's 500th Late Late Show.
Posted Tuesday 6/19/18 at 1:32PM EDT
Andrew Lloyd Webber got to take in James Corden's "Crosswalk: The Musical" tribute to him
The Late Late Show's London crosswalk musical tribute, featuring special guest Josh Gad, was made for an audience of one.
Posted Monday 6/18/18 at 8:27PM EDT
Paul McCartney sings behind the wheel in his first "Carpool Karaoke" footage
James Corden's Late Late Show offered a taste of The Beatles legend driving through the streets of Liverpool for the hit segment. McCartney's "Carpool Karaoke" segment is scheduled to air on Thursday, Corden's final night in London.