This is UsLatest News and Opinion
Posted Friday 7/20/18 at 5:44AM EDT
This Is Us may devote an episode to Miguel Rivas
Jon Huertas says an episode revolving around his character will likely air later in Season 3 or in Season 4.
Posted Friday 7/13/18 at 2:51AM EDT
Emmy nominations showed some progress, but voters were still too reliant on old favorites
The Emmy nominations announced Thursday showed that "the industry and its members are still broadening their scope in terms of the voices and types of shows they recognize, which counts as progress," says Jen Chaney. "But there’s also still a repetitive quality in the nominations that has been endemic to the Emmys basically since forever and hasn’t quite gone away." Modern Family was finally dropped from the outstanding comedy series category, but every outstanding drama series contender this year has been nominated in the category before. "While most if not all of them are deserving, that speaks to a long-standing trend of carbon-copy voting," she says. She also points out that the same seven reality competition series were also re-nominated from last year. The outstanding variety talk series remained nearly identical from last year, too, with the exception of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah replacing Real Time with Bill Maher. The rubber-stamping is especially flagrant in the outstanding animated series category, which has often featured South Park and The Simpsons since the 1990s -- while rejecting groundbreaking animated shows like BoJack Horseman (Rick and Morty earned its first nomination in that category on Thursday). "I said this last year, I’m saying it now, and I’ll probably say it again at roughly this same time in 2019: the television landscape is enormous and the Emmy nominations recognize only a fraction of it," says Chaney. "That’s inevitable to an extent. There’s simply too much to nominate everything that’s deserving. But while Emmy voters are recognizing more of the breadth of quality viewing that exists, they could still do even better. More than anything, they need to be more daring, something that is, admittedly, hard to do when a persistent chunk of your voting block leans toward old favorites."
- Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos on his groundbreaking day: "I’m most happy that the nominations were spread out among 40 different shows"
- Freshman comedies had their best showing in two decades, while no freshman dramas were nominated for outstanding drama series
- Late-night hosts react to Emmy nominations: Jimmy Kimmel poked fun at ABC while celebrating his show's two noms
- This Is Us creator Dan Fogelman is honored to have the only network show up for best drama series: "To be popular and well-regarded by fancy people is exciting because it means we’re threading a very fine needle"
- This was the last chance for Emmy voters to pay proper respect to The Americans, and they did the bare minimum
- Comedy has benefitted the most from Peak TV, and TV Academy is starting to recognize that
- Winners and Losers: Comedy was the big winner this year, Drama was the big loser
- Ozark was a big disappointment because Netflix sunk a lot of money into its Emmy campaign, expecting it to become the next big awards competitor
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Tuesday 7/10/18 at 11:58PM EDT
This Is Us stars spent their first day back on Season 3 partaking in Drake's "In My Feelings" Challenge
Susan Kelechi Watson and Sterling K. Brown "absolutely slayed" the "In My Feelings" challenge, tweeting their dance moves to the song from Drake's new album Scorpion on their first day back on set.
Posted Tuesday 7/10/18 at 1:20PM EDT
This Is Us begins production on Season 3
Creator Dan Fogelman tweeted this morning the first image from the third season of his NBC hit.
Posted Tuesday 6/26/18 at 1:55PM EDT
This Is Us star Lonnie Chavis slams trolls for mocking the gap in his teeth
"PSA!" the 10-year-old actor wrote on Instagram. "Yes I have a gap in my teeth, that braces can fix when all my baby teeth fall out. I’m gonna keep on smiling though ... STOP TROLLING ... STOP BULLYING! Fix your heart! "
Posted Tuesday 6/19/18 at 5:37PM EDT
NBC announces fall premiere dates for This Is Us, Will & Grace, The Good Place and The Voice
The Voice kicks off Season 15 on Sept 24, This Is Us returns Sept. 25, The Good Place will have a one-hour Season 3 premiere on Sept. 27, while Will & Grace returns a day later on Thursday, Oct. 4.
Posted Monday 6/18/18 at 8:27PM EDT
This Is Us adds renowned Vietnam journalist Tim O'Brien as a Season 3 consultant
O'Brien's 1990 collection of short stories The Things They Carried is considered a Vietnam War classic. “Tim has been a writing hero of mine since college,” says This Is Us creator Dan Fogelman. “I’ve written more papers on The Things They Carried than I am comfortable sharing. It was incredibly intimidating bringing him into our room to discuss a Vietnam plot line – and it was even more rewarding. I’ve never said this before, but I can’t wait to be rewritten by him.”
Posted Monday 6/18/18 at 1:47PM EDT
Sterling K. Brown expects This Is Us to end after Season 7, citing on-set chats about Lost
Brown makes his prediction based on his conversations with creator Dan Fogelman. “We would talk about Lost, and he talks about Lost being one of the chief influences on our show with regards to the flashbacks and flash-forwards," says Brown. "I said, ‘Lost is my joint.’ But even I’ll admit, like at a point in time, I was like, ‘Are we going somewhere? What’s the culmination?’ And so, we have an endpoint. We know how our show is going to end. Not exactly sure when it will be, but I don’t think it’ll be beyond seven years.” ALSO: Susan Kelechi Watson says her This Is Us character evolved as the writers learned more about her.
Posted Thursday 6/14/18 at 4:24PM EDT
This Is Us' Beth will make it to the end of next season
Susan Kelechi Watson says she's been assured that her character won't be killed off in Season 3. ALSO: Chrissy Metz has stopped taking photos with fans because "I've had to learn how to draw really healthy boundaries."
Posted Thursday 6/07/18 at 12:59AM EDT
Mandy Moore says she was "hurt" when Wilder Valderrama lied about taking her virginity
On Wednesday, the This Is Us star made her first visit on The Howard Stern Show -- where, 12 years earlier, her ex Valderrama described taking her virginity. “I dated him when I was 16 and 17. No,” she said when asked about his comments. “I love him and I still love him and he’s a very good friend, and that’s why I was so shocked by it. Because not only was it a fib, but it was so unlike him — it was so uncharacteristic.”
Posted Wednesday 5/30/18 at 2:14PM EDT
This Is Us already filmed "pieces" of the show's final scene
"We’re pretty far along," creator Dan Fogelman said at an Emmy For Your Consideration event. "Our writers and I are kind of to the end. We have a path for each season of the show. We’ve always had a plan… I don’t think this show will ever — despite any success it may or may not have — will ever overstay its welcome, and we have a story to tell. And we want to do this the right way. And so we have a plan.” He added: “I’ve actually already shot pieces of the final scene in the series.” ALSO: Milo Ventimiglia reacts to Oliver Hudson blowing off his This Is Us Jack audition.
Posted Tuesday 5/22/18 at 10:30PM EDT
Here are the final 2017-18 broadcast TV rankings: The Big Bang Theory is No. 1, Roseanne is No. 3 in total viewers
The Big Bang Theory averaged 18.63 million total viewers, making it No. 1 for the season. Sunday Night Football was No. 2, Roseanne No. 3, This Is Us No. 4 and NCIS No. 5. Freshman shows Young Sheldon and The Good Doctor ranked sixth and seventh, respectively.
Posted Thursday 5/17/18 at 10:42PM EDT
This Is Us' Chrissy Metz was once a talent agent who represented Ariana Grande
Metz told Jimmy Fallon about her talent agency past, saying she "represented Ariana Grande, Dove Cameron. Yeah, I was on the team that represented both of those incredible ladies."
Posted Wednesday 5/16/18 at 11:25PM EDT
Andy Samberg hopes the entire This Is Us cast appears on Brooklyn Nine-Nine now that they're on the same network
Sterling K. Brown already made a cameo this season, but Samberg wants more This Is Us cast members to guest-star.