Trevor NoahLatest News and Opinion
Posted Friday 8/17/18 at 1:55PM EDT
How Aretha Franklin inspired reality singing competitions like American Idol
The Queen of Soul expressed interest in 2012 in joining the then-Fox reality singing competition as a judge. As Emily Yahr points out, Idol had a particular connection with Franklin. In 2012, the contestants traveled to Detroit for a special sit-down with her. But it wasn't just Idol that Franklin influenced. "If there was a prize for the song performed most frequently on a reality singing competition show, '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman' would have an easy shot at the crown," says Yahr. Contestants on everything from The Voice to Nashville Star to America's Got Talent "wanted to be like her, and they wanted to sing like her," says Yahr. "Franklin songs from 'Respect' to 'Chain of Fools' to 'Ain’t No Way' continue to be a reality show staple."
- MTV VMAs producer is scrambling to put together a tribute: "She’s one of the all-time greats so we have to do her justice"
- Franklin's version of the A Different World theme song is the only one that matters
- Late-night hosts pay tribute to Franklin: Trevor Noah recalled growing up to Franklin's music in a a “between the scenes” video
- Don Cheadle recalled to Jimmy Kimmel texting with Franklin
- From Scandal to GLOW: How TV and movies used Franklin's songs
- Scandal first use of an Aretha Franklin was her cover of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
- Watch David Letterman interview Franklin in 1981 and see her Late Show appearances between 1994 and 2014
# TOPICS: Aretha Franklin, American Idol, A Different World, GLOW, Late Night with David Letterman, Late Show with David Letterman, MTV Video Music Awards, Scandal, Don Cheadle, Trevor Noah, Reality TV
Posted Thursday 8/16/18 at 10:40PM EDT
The Daily Show says goodbye to Hasan Minhaj
Minhaj and Trevor Noah were announced as Daily Show hires on the same day in 2014. They turned out to be the last hires of the Jon Stewart era. Minhaj, who is leaving for his new Netflix show, Patriot Act, proposed a combined Obamacare and MoviePass as a single super supscription for his final report.
Posted Monday 8/13/18 at 9:39PM EDT
Trevor Noah doesn't have a desk in his Daily Show office
“A desk feels like a waste of space when the thing you’re using to conduct all your business is in the palm of your hand,” says Noah, whose office features a candid photo of him, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert laughing, as well as a bottle of champagne sent from Oprah Winfrey accompanied by a handwritten note.
Posted Tuesday 8/07/18 at 9:49AM EDT
Trevor Noah's Daily Show is headed to Florida to cover the midterm elections
Source: Comedy Central
Noah will do a week of shows "undesked" from Miami during the week of Oct. 29.
Posted Friday 7/27/18 at 6:05PM EDT
Trevor Noah: I'm not apologizing for my 2013 joke on Aboriginal women
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
"We live in a world where people want to unearth things that have already been unearthed," The Daily Show host said in an Australian radio interview Thursday, four days after he responded to the resurfaced video of him mocking Aboriginal women by saying "I vowed never to make a joke like that again." But Noah is not apologizing. Noah added: "What I understand about outrage, though, what I mean is that people don't generally want to listen or understand from their side. They go, 'No, we're angry. And regardless how many times you speak about the thing, they still want to be angry and so all you can do is fall back and say, 'I've addressed this.'"
Posted Monday 7/23/18 at 4:11PM EDT
Trevor Noah responds to backlash over his sexist jokes about Aboriginal women from 2013
Source: The Daily Dot
When Noah was first hired to host The Daily Show in 2015, old tweets of him making misogynistic and anti-Semitic jokes resurfaced. Over the weekend, Noah responded to a growing backlash over recently resurfaced footage of him mocking Aboriginal women as unattractive. Noah responded to the backlash Sunday, tweeting: "After visiting Australia's Bunjilaka museum and learning about aboriginal history first hand I vowed never to make a joke like that again. And I haven't. I'll make sure the clip from 2013 is not promoted in any way."
Posted Saturday 7/21/18 at 1:37AM EDT
Trevor Noah's spat with the French ambassador showed how Americans and the French see identity differently
Source: The Atlantic
The Daily Show host was accused of siding with racist ideologies in France with his joke about Africa winning the World Cup. But the joke was also deemed offensive to France's ambassador because the French don't see themselves the way Americans do when it comes to identity. "In the United States, just about everyone’s hyphenated," explains Paris-based correspondent Rachel Donadio. "In France, or among parts of the French establishment, the notion of communautarisme, American-style identity politics in which groups derive identity and clout from their backgrounds, is seen as anathema, an affront to the French ideal that all citizens are equal in the eyes of the state, as I’ve written about here. It’s a hard-won notion of citizenship that comes from a history in which the ancien régime was overthrown to create a modern French state. It’s also an ideal—filled with ironies and inconsistencies that Noah could skewer in a way only an outsider to France could do."
Posted Wednesday 7/18/18 at 11:21PM EDT
Trevor Noah responds after French ambassador to U.S. criticized his congratulations to Africa for France's World Cup victory
In a video posted to Twitter, The Daily Show host brought up a letter by France's ambassador complaining about his congratulatory statement on Monday's show. Referring to the players of predominant African origin, Noah responded, "why can't they be both" African and French? He added: "Why is that duality only afforded to a select group of people?" Noah pointed out that when players of African origin win the World Cup, the French want to consider them only as being French. But other African immigrants in France are frequently referred to by their African ancestry.
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 5:29PM EDT
More people of color were nominated for Emmys this year than ever before
Source: TV Guide
According to TV Guide's tally, 38 people of color were nominated in the top categories, form Lin-Manuel Miranda to Sandra Oh to Trevor Noah. That's nearly double from 2016, when 21 people of color were nominated. ALSO: Sandra Oh and Darren Criss' nominations show the two ways to diversity casting.
# TOPICS: Emmys, 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, Darren Criss, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Sandra Oh, Trevor Noah, African Americans and TV, Asian Americans and TV, Diversity, Indian-Americans and TV, Latinos and TV
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Thursday 5/24/18 at 4:10AM EDT
Black Panther fans missed Trevor Noah's cameo
Source: New York Daily News
The Daily Show host lent his voice to the blockbuster Marvel movie.
Posted Monday 5/21/18 at 1:08PM EDT
The Daily Show is releasing a book based on its Trump Twitter library
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Presents: The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library will be released on July 31, from The Daily Show writers. Noah will write the introduction and Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Jon Meacham will pen the foreword.
Posted Monday 5/14/18 at 11:28PM EDT
Trevor Noah isn't sure he'd ever host the White House Correspondents' Dinner
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The Daily Show host says the backlash to Michelle Wolf opened his eyes on the relationship between the White House and the press. "I honestly don't know," he says of hosting the WHCD. "I don't know. Because I think of what the intention is. What am I trying to do? What is the dinner trying to do? What is it for? And, after this dinner, I ask that question even more now."
Posted Tuesday 5/01/18 at 1:51PM EDT
Stephen Colbert revives his "Stephen Colbert" character to defend Michelle Wolf's White House Correspondents' Dinner performance
Source: Rolling Stone
"How dare you besmirch the ok name of Sarah Huckabee Sanders," Colbert as his Comedy Central "Colbert" said on The Late Show. "I am so proud, right down the breast bone, that the press is defending her, despite the fact that her boss joked about throwing reporters in jail. That's the kind of comedy the press likes, more jokes like that, Michelle!"
- Dave Chappelle says Wolf "nailed it"
- Trevor Noah "criticizes" former Daily Show colleague Wolf: "Comedy isn’t just about jokes. It’s also about being polite and respecting authority. Unfortunately, it seems that some comedians—like Michelle Wolf—don’t understand that"
- Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel and James Corden also mentioned Wolf in their monologues
# TOPICS: Michelle Wolf, CBS, Comedy Central, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Dave Chappelle, Stephen Colbert, Trevor Noah, Late Night, Trump Presidency, White House Correspondents’ Dinner
Posted Monday 3/26/18 at 2:46PM EDT
Trevor Noah strikes a TV and film deal with Viacom
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The Daily Show host and Comedy Central's parent company are teaming on an international production company that will give Viacom the first-look rights on Noah's TV and film projects.