VeepLatest News and Opinion
Posted Thursday 8/16/18 at 1:39PM EDT
Julia Louis-Dreyfus thanks her Veep cast and crew before shooting her first take of the final season
“I really appreciate everyone coming back and working it out to come back,” the actress said in an Instagram video. “I’m very grateful. Thank you very much. Love you guys Season seven!”
Posted Thursday 8/09/18 at 7:12PM EDT
Veep's Selina Meyers is getting a Funko Doll
Julia Louis-Dreyfus announced that the limited edition dolls are now available for pre-order.
Posted Thursday 8/09/18 at 2:00PM EDT
Julia Louis-Dreyfus tweets a selfie showing Veep back in action
"Guys, we just learned how to take a picture of ourselves on my phone!" she tweeted. "How cool is that? @VeepHBO Table read ep 2 &3 Season 7, baby!"
Posted Wednesday 7/25/18 at 1:49PM EDT
Veep's final season to premiere in spring 2019
Production is scheduled to begin in October for the seventh and final season. “They just started — the writers just got together,” HBO's Casey Bloys said at the TV critics press tour. “We’ll be shooting in the fall and will be airing in the spring sometime.”
Posted Friday 7/13/18 at 11:36PM EDT
Outstanding comedy series is the most exciting Emmy race after domination from three shows in 11 years
From 2007 to 2017, only 30 Rock, Modern Family and Veep have won best comedy. This year will finally bring suspense to the category.
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Wednesday 6/20/18 at 3:57AM EDT
If Veep was created today, President Trump would throw a wrench into the entire premise
"When Armando Iannucci created it, part of the idea was giving a peek behind the curtain of what politics are really like, saying this is what politicians are really like in private," says showrunner David Mandel. "None of that seems true anymore. There's no sense of that. We know exactly what (Trump's) like. Nothing's private. And so much of the humor was always like, Selina Meyers is the worst person that should ever be president and this is the stupidest staff you've ever seen. No longer true either. I guess if you were making Veep today from scratch as opposed to Season 7, I don't quite know what you would be saying. So that's sort of some of the problem we're dealing with in Season 7 and thinking about Veep, like these people were kind of terrible, but you learn to love them and you root for them."
Posted Friday 5/25/18 at 10:33AM EDT
Here are the Top 10 best-written shows currently on TV
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The Americans, Veep, Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul and Brooklyn Nine-Nine are among the shows whose "writing has lingered with me in some way," says Tim Goodman. "Not just funny jokes for the comedies or standout emotional scenes for the dramas, but something cumulative where story construction, dramatic tension, intelligence, relentlessly creative humor, poignancy, thoughtfulness and believability, among other fine traits, left a mark."
Posted Wednesday 5/23/18 at 2:17PM EDT
Julia Louis-Dreyfus to be honored with the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor
Source: The New York Times
“Like Mark Twain, Julia has enriched American culture with her iconic, unforgettable, and outright hilarious brand of humor,” Deborah F. Rutter, the president of the Kennedy Center, said in a statement. “Over four decades, her wildly original characters and her gift for physical comedy have left us in stitches.” The Veep star said in her own statement: “Merely to join the list of distinguished recipients of this award would be honor enough, but, as a student of both American history and literature, the fact that Mr. Twain himself will be presenting the award to me in person is particularly gratifying."
Posted Wednesday 4/25/18 at 10:49PM EDT
Veep boss is rethinking his approach in the wake of President Trump
The Trump administration is "breaking new ground daily" in the areas Veep pioneered, says showrunner David Mandel. “I’m not sure there’s so much appetite for some of those stories,” he says, adding: “I’m definitely, for lack of a better word, rethinking a lot of things. Not specific stories but just people’s overall appetite for anything related to politics.” Mandel says he doesn't see Trump being a factor in the Veep world. “I do think that it’s possible that Donald Trump exists in the Veep universe,” Mandel says. “But I think he runs a shoe store on Long Island, and it’s not doing particularly well.”
Posted Wednesday 2/14/18 at 2:32PM EST
Julia Louis-Dreyfus is "feeling happy and ready to rock" after hearing "great results" about her cancer battle
"Hey cancer, 'F*ck you!' Here’s my first post op photo," the Veep star tweeted this morning.
Posted Thursday 2/08/18 at 6:30PM EST
Veep boss on the Trump White House: “Their writers are much better than ours, and they’ve already done the crazier storylines!”
Showrunner David Mandel gave an update on Julia Louis-Dreyfus — “I had coffee with her, and she’s doing great” — and spoke about the challenge of coming up with fresh storylines in the Trump era, especially when Veep might not return until a year from now. “The hope is that we can find things to mine out of this horrible situation and make fun of,” says Mandel. He adds: “Trump doesn’t exist in our world, but Iowa has completely changed now because of him. It’s going to be a completely different campaign process now because of him. We’re playing with a lot of those ideas in terms of the future.”
Posted Monday 1/22/18 at 1:40PM EST
Julia Louis-Dreyfus will return to filming Veep in August, says co-star Matt Walsh
Source: Entertainment Weekly
“Veep is on hiatus, we’ll start filming in August and it will air in 2019,” Walsh said. “We’ve known for about a month. We’ve seen (Julia), she’s done some table reads, she’s doing well, she’s finished her last chemo, she’s in recuperation. Her prospectives have remained excellent throughout. She’s very well loved; she’s a tremendous person.” ALSO: Louis-Dreyfus tweets her reaction to winning a SAG Award from home.
Posted Friday 12/22/17 at 11:25PM EST
Julia Louis-Dreyfus joked about “my awesome Xmas cocktail” while getting a blood transfusion
“Getting ready for the holidays with my awesome Xmas cocktail. #jollytransfusion #ivebeengood,” the Veep star posted Friday on Instagram.
Posted Monday 12/11/17 at 9:04AM EST
Golden Globes: Six nominations for Big Little Lies, three for Feud
Big Little Lies and Feud led among all TV series, while Fargo, The Handmaid’s Tale and This Is Us each netted three nominations. In the drama/musical series category, Will & Grace and newcomers SMILF and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel each earned a nomination.
- For the first time ever,Veep wasn’t nominated
- Netflix scored two of the five best drama nominees with The Crown and Stranger Things
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Debra Messing were snubbed as their respective Black-ish and Will & Grace co-stars were nominated
- HBO had the most nominations with 12, followed by Netflix's nine and FX's eight
# TOPICS: FX, HBO, Netflix, Big Little Lies, The Crown, Fargo, Feud: Bette and Joan, The Handmaid's Tale, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, SMILF, This is Us, Veep, Will & Grace, Debra Messing, Tracee Ellis Ross, Award Shows, Golden Globe Awards