Viola DavisLatest News and Opinion
Posted Thursday 9/13/18 at 1:29PM EDT
How to Get Away with Murder comes out with a deadly Season 5 official trailer
“Why do you look like someone just died?” Annalise Keating asks in the minute-long trailer.
Posted Wednesday 8/22/18 at 6:30PM EDT
ABC developing Hawaiian drama Ohana, which won't be told from the white point of view
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Viola Davis is producing and former Time magazine journalist Lisa Takeuchi Cullen is writing the potential drama series based on the 1994 novel Shark Dialogues. Ohana revolves around four hapa women "who reunite when their grandmother, a mystic known as a kahuna, dies mysteriously and leaves them the family plantation." Cullen says of Ohana: "So many Hawaii-set stories have been told from the white point of view. This is a story we're passionate about telling from the point of view of native Hawaiians — Pacific Islanders, people of Asian descent and people of hapa heritage."
Posted Thursday 7/12/18 at 12:16PM EDT
Netflix ends HBO's 17-year streak of Emmy nomination dominance, Game of Thrones tops all shows
Source: The New York Times
This is the first time in 18 years that HBO has failed to lead all nominations, with Netflix earning 112 Emmy nominations to HBO's 108. The streaming service has been gradually growing with 34 nominations in 2015, 54 in 2016 and 91 last year. Game of Thrones led all shows with 22 Emmy nominations. Saturday Night Live and Westworld tied for second with 21 nominations each, followed by The Handmaid's Tale (20), The Assassination of Gianni Versace (18) and Atlanta (16). Game of Thrones, which wasn't eligible last year, will battle it out with last year's winner, The Handmaid's Tale. Meanwhile, the best actress in a comedy series will be up for grabs for the first time since 2011 since Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't eligible as Veep was on hiatus. Black-ish's Tracee Ellis-Ross, Insecure's Issa Rae and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Rachel Brosnahan are among the contenders in the best comedy actress category.
- Read the complete list of Emmy nominations
- Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers were snubbed, while Stephen Colbert and James Corden were nominated (The Tonight Show wasn't nominated for best variety talk series a second year in a row)
- Roseanne, Modern Family and Will & Grace were snubbed for best comedy, Killing Eve was snubbed for best drama
- Roseanne did earn two Emmy nominations, including one for Laurie Metcalf
- "It worked": Megan Amram's An Emmy for Megan was nominated for an Emmy in short form comedy or drama series category
- Acting snubs: Kit Harington, John Goodman, Emilia Clarke, Kyle McLachlan, Alison Brie and Freddie Highmore
- The late Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown earned six Emmy nominations
- Amy Sedaris, Sarah Silverman and Tracey Ullman to take on SNL in outstanding variety sketch category
- Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage becomes the most-nominated drama series supporting actor in Emmy history
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah earned its first nomination for best variety talk series
- Killing Eve's Sandra Oh becomes the first person of Asian descent to be nominated for best actress in a drama
- Samantha Bee's C-word controversy didn't stop Full Frontal from getting nominated for best variety talk series
- The best Emmy nomination reactions: Lin-Manuel Miranda is "Pretty, pretty, pretty grateful" to be nominated for Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Twin Peaks: The Return was snubbed in the major categories, but it did receive nine nominations
- Modern Family ends streak after eight-straight nominations for best comedy: “It was a hell of a run," says co-creator Steve Levitan
- Chrissy Teigen: If John Legend wins for Jesus Christ Superstar Live, "he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved"
- Viola Davis was snubbed for Hot to Get Away with Murder, but she was nominated for playing the same character on Scandal
- This Is Us fans aren't happy with Mandy Moore's snub
- Kenan Thompson was finally nominated for his SNL acting ability, joining Leslie Jones, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin
- Breaking down Game of Thrones' 22 nominations: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau scores his first nod
- Real Time with Bill Maher was snubbed for the first time since 2004 -- was Maher hurt by N-word and featuring right-wing trolls?
- These actors earned nominations for multiple show: Jane Lynch, Donald Glover, Alex Borstein, Jeff Daniels and Sterling K. Brown
# TOPICS: 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, ABC, Amazon, CBS, FX, HBO, Hulu, NBC, Netflix, An Emmy for Megan, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, At Home With Amy Sedaris, Atlanta, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, I Love You, America, Insecure, Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Killing Eve, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Modern Family, Real Time with Bill Maher, Roseanne, Saturday Night Live, This is Us, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tracey Ullman’s Show, Twin Peaks: The Return, Veep, Westworld, Will & Grace, Aidy Bryant, Alec Baldwin, Alex Borstein, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris, Anthony Bourdain, Bill Maher, Chrissy Teigen, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Freddie Highmore, Issa Rae, James Corden, Jane Lynch, Jeff Daniels, Jimmy Fallon, John Goodman, John Legend, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kit Harington, Kyle MacLachlan, Laurie Metcalf, Leslie Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mandy Moore, Megan Amram, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Brosnahan, Samantha Bee, Sandra Oh, Sarah Silverman, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Sterling K. Brown, Steve Levitan, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tracey Ullman, Trevor Noah, Viola Davis, Award Shows, Emmys
Posted Friday 5/11/18 at 6:52PM EDT
How to Get Away with Murder renewed for Season 5
Creator Pete Nowalk announced the news on Twitter that his Shondaland drama starring Viola Davis will be back next season: "Season 5, we are coming for you! Thanks to all our fans #HTGAWM.”
Posted Friday 3/02/18 at 5:52PM EST
Why the Scandal-How to Get Away with Murder crossover beauty salon scene was so special
"It isn’t long before their differences are as smoothed out as their respective hairdos, but the beauty shop conversation is quietly revolutionary relative to the superhero spectacle of Black Panther," Joshua Alston says of the unique scene between Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating. "Crucially, it considers the same themes that all black people grapple with when they become rich, accomplished, and powerful: How much responsibility do you have to reach down to help others once you’ve reached the summit? That’s a bigger question that a nighttime soap opera can answer, but the fact that it was broached is enough to make the "How to Get Away With Scandal" crossover much more than a prime-time gimmick." ALSO: The “How To Get Away With Scandal” extravaganza was actually a stunning two hours of television.
Posted Monday 2/12/18 at 8:22PM EST
Check out Scandal-How to Get Away with Murder crossover photos
There's a lot of handshaking featured in the crossover photos.
Posted Friday 1/26/18 at 5:56PM EST
Viola Davis reacts to Melania Trump naming How to Get Away with Murder her favorite show
The New York Times reported several weeks ago that the first lady's favorite show is How to Get Away with Murder, but that she's also a fan of Empire. When Jimmy Kimmel asked Davis to react during their interview last night, Davis was initially reluctant. Would she be happy if Melania had a walk-on role? After some thought, Davis said she’d be okay with that. “Because you know what, I really want to talk to the lady. I really do,” she said.
Posted Wednesday 1/24/18 at 4:39PM EST
Viola Davis on working with Kerry Washington: “It was black girl magic on steroids!”
Source: Entertainment Weekly
Here’s your first look at Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating in a scene from the Scandal-How to Get Away with Murder crossover event.
Posted Wednesday 1/03/18 at 6:00PM EST
How the Scandal-How to Get Away with Murder crossover came together
How to Get Away with Murder creator Pete Nowalk says the crossover event will run two hours across both shows on the same night. “I’ll say the whole two hours takes place in the same setting, and they have that arc over those two hours,” he says. Nowalk adds that he pitched Shonda Rhimes with the idea. “At the beginning of the season, my writers and I were planning out Viola’s entire arc and something in her story organically came up that was very appropriate for Scandal,” he says. “When I went to Shonda, she heard it. I said, we don’t have to do it, Viola’s arc doesn’t need this, but it’s possible that their stories could cross really organically. She actually pulled up a clip of something from Scandal and their side of the story coalesced perfectly. So it was one of those serendipitous things where we both realized it was good for both characters, and it almost felt like we had been planning it since last season.”
Posted Wednesday 1/03/18 at 1:26PM EST
Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder are planning a crossover episode
Reps for the two Shonda Rhimes Shondaland series wouldn’t comment on Deadline’s report of a plan for a crossover episode, but Kerry Washington just posted an image on Instagram of her on the set of How to Get Away with Murder. “Hey Ms @violadavis ❤️ check it out. This spot look familiar?! Where are you?” Washington tweeted. Viola Davis responded a half hour later by posting an Instagram image of her on the set of Scandal. “Hey @KerryWashington, guess where I am?!” she wrote. UPDATE: Shonda Rhimes tweets a pic of the "#HowtoGetAwaywithScandal" script.
Posted Wednesday 12/20/17 at 10:03PM EST
Viola Davis’ true-crime TV One docuseries Two Sides will explore police-involved deaths in the black community
The four-part series, premiering Jan. 22, will closely examine the cases of Eric Garner, Sandra Bland, John Crawford and Ezell Ford.
Posted Tuesday 10/03/17 at 11:32PM EDT
Black Don’t Crack comedy from Viola Davis and Larry Wilmore is in the works at ABC
The multi-camera comedy, named after the popular urban phrase that black people age slower than other ethnicities, will revolve around three former sorority sisters who reunite years after college.
Posted Friday 9/29/17 at 2:51AM EDT
No, Viola Davis is not leaving How to Get Away With Murder
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
The Season 4 premiere wasn’t a “goodbye episode,” says creator Pete Nowalk. "We wanted to do something different. I wanted to take a moment and have time to spend watching her decide who she wants to be and how she wants to restart her life. ...Yes, she's in every episode as normal and she has a lot to do."